By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Booth: PS3 misconceptions and spin

Hes just talking about porting games. Both systems will have strengths and weaknesses so making up for those will be a problem while going PS3>XBOX or vice versa.

Its funny that hes the one commenting on this since he made one of the most graphically unimpressive and unimportant games of the last gen:Guitar Hero.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
EnosStory said:
It means most programmers are not that good while the good ones will do things on PS3 that are far beyond 360s capability. Look at Ratchet and soon Uncharted, the power is being used already.

Reminds me of this;

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs — most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn." - Yu Suzuki

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

WTF triple post

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

a biased opinion: i think the really awesome programmers would rather not work on game programming. so no, not because programmers are lazy, but the better programmers would rather work on things more interesting and lucrative.

yes, there are some programmers doing it because they love it. but among those who love it and do it, not so many are great programmers.

again, just my personal opinion.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

he more or less sounds like a pissy xbot... like "why the PS3 version pails in comparison.. and exclusives often suck" he doesn't even give examples, i know of a few but this isn't the majority. i remember some issues with some of the sports games(no specifics cause they don't interest me) and some of the "super" platform games, you know PS2/PS3/PSP/360/Wii, that had issues. most well developed ports/multi-plats like VF5, Oblivion, RS: V, GRAW2, and Stranglehold perform just as well as their 360 counterparts. as for exclusives, the only unanimous turd is LAIR, but it even found a groove in Japan, but most have been well received if not without their flaws. RFoM, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, and R&C Future have all been very enjoyable with no easily noticeable flaws.

the hard truth is that every console has some crap games, no exceptions. it has always been and always be this way...

i blame it on E.T. LOL

His main argument against the Cell is that it has multiple cores, and developers have a hard time maximizing the output of the multiple cores. The 360 has multiple cores as well, so I don't see how that makes much of a difference.

Also, the developes of GH1&2 never exactly pushed the limitsof the ps2 or the 360, so I don't think he has room to talk, especially with graphically stunning games like Uncharted, MGS4, KZ2, and CoD4 coming out on the ps3.

sieanr said:
EnosStory said:
It means most programmers are not that good while the good ones will do things on PS3 that are far beyond 360s capability. Look at Ratchet and soon Uncharted, the power is being used already.

Reminds me of this;

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs — most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn." - Yu Suzuki

Pointless and irrelevant.

PS3 power has already been proven and shown in games, its capability is not theoratical its reality no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. 

Just like everythign else in life, the game indistry is full of mediocracy.  Failure of people their ignorance theyir inablity to understand something new is unavoidable.

Theres a reason why a handfull of developers are so highy thought of in the industry while the rest are not.

makingmusic476 said:
His main argument against the Cell is that it has multiple cores, and developers have a hard time maximizing the output of the multiple cores. The 360 has multiple cores as well, so I don't see how that makes much of a difference.

Also, the developes of GH1&2 never exactly pushed the limitsof the ps2 or the 360, so I don't think he has room to talk, especially with graphically stunning games like Uncharted, MGS4, KZ2, and CoD4 coming out on the ps3.

The difference between the Cell and the 360 cpu being multicore is that the Cell cores are asymmetric. I don't know how the actual PS3 devkits work, but on the IBM Cell SDK there is a lot of manual effort required to efficiently distribute code to the SPE's, whereas on a symmetric core processor it can basically just distribute threads to any processor.

drkohler said:
This whole thing reads like a disgruntled programmer left a software company with some issues unresolved. Some of the stuff is rehashed knowledge, some is second hand and some of it is plain and simple wrong if you read what other PS3 programmers write about the hardship of programming the cell. Apparently, most of the hired guns come to the machine with their set of proven 'gadgets' from the PC environment and find themselves in a maze. Until gadgets appear for the PS3 (which may take another 6-12 months), PS3 users may have to live with multiplatform games that might be somewhat crippled compared to the Xbox versions.

Please look up Sony's PlayStation Edge tool kit they gave to 3rd parties at GDC.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453