By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Booth: PS3 misconceptions and spin

Ok, it seems I've been living and beileving a lie for at least 12 years... can you at least tell me WHEN triangles stopped being polygons? >_>

I'll try to explain the bandwidth of the XDR memory in a simple way, beacuse it seems that some people still believe is INSANELY faster compared to GDDR3 or GDDR4... it is faster (than GDDR3) but not insanely.

First example, GDDR3: Imagine this is a highway with medium speed cars (the arrows being the cars)...

-------------
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
>->->->->
-------------
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
<-<-<-<-<
-------------

As you can see, it has a good number of lanes (bandwidth, 128 bit) so we can have more "cars" carrying stuff (data) at the same time.

Now, let's move on to XDR memory's highway, it has faster cars but...

------------
>>>>>>>
------------
<<<<<<<
------------

... it has much less lanes (bandwidth 16 bit if I remember correctly), so our "cars" while still being much faster, have to do more "trips" to give us the data.

I know it's not exactly scientific, but it's better than the "girls and apples" example I was thinking :P

PS: And yeah, I know pixel fillrate is a part of the equation... if you turn the Xenos into a 32-Shaders/16-Vertex configuration... well, bye bye RSX :)

Around the Network

this article was quite bad,

not because he is saying the truth or not (I dont know, I m not enought good to compare Xbox360 and PS3 and say which console is the best))

but because he is judging the PS3 game on 2 new IP (HS/Lair) which are bad because of their repetitive gameplay and their short length.

Read the comments under the article (from the original site) to find some good comments.

Time to Work !

fazz said:
Ok, it seems I've been living and beileving a lie for at least 12 years... can you at least tell me WHEN triangles stopped being polygons? >_>

I lol'd.  :)

We covered the shading power of the RSX vs. the Xenos in a thread about a month or two ago.  Conclusion was that RSX has a bit more raw power but Xenos is more flexible.  Certainly nothing to indicate that RSX had anywhere close to "roughly half" the fillrate of Xenos. 

Entroper said:

The thing is, the author of the article provided nothing at all to back up his claims. He should be aware of the myriad of other technical comparison articles out there that do not come to the same conclusions -- merely stating "the PS3 has less fillrate" and "the Blu-ray drive is twice as slow" don't make them true. At least fazz gave some reasoning.

His statement is his proof. In law it would be called an "expert opinion" as it is one from someone who has experience in the field in which he is speaking.

I'm not qualified as a Sony PS3 game developer to refute it and I suspect neither are you. Most of what he mentioned is already known however and barring what may or may not be exaggeration on his part, most of it is recognizably true (especially the BluRay transfer speeds). There doesn't seem to be anything new here, just one more person talking about the problems he's seen.

I would normally write a lengthy reply refuting almost anything stated, but I feel there's little point, this FUD simply came too late.

Just play through R&C TOD and you'll understand what wonderful technology the PS3 provides to competent developers and this is just the beginning, this is the first PS3 game I would clasify as being a true 2nd generation PS3 game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
Entroper said:
fazz said:

I lol'd. :)

And I never said that they weren't. Reading comprehension is your friend.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

""His statement is his proof. In law it would be called an "expert opinion" as it is one from someone who has experience in the field in which he is speaking.""

==> I completely agree.
We have to see him as an expert in gaming developpement.
My only problem is that I dont have evidence to counter his legitimity but I dont have evidence to support it neither ...

Time to Work !

Andir said:
Sqrl said:
@Griffin,

Do you understand the relationship between timings and clock speed for memory? If you do, you should have mentioned that while 3.2Ghz is very fast indeed it only refers to part of the equation. Information about memory timing, especially CAS Latency is crucial to fully understanding the speed of the memory.

Just to explain a bit for folks:

Memory Latency is the amount of time that passes between data being requested from the memory and receipt of the first bit.
Memory Clock Speed is essentially how quickly new bits from the same address are recieved.

Hopefully it should be clear that the use for the memory is important in deciding what kind of memory you need. In the case of games a great deal of the memory usage is consumed by small variables tracking a great many minor things. There are also a fair bit of larger files to be fair, but their use is much less frequent making their impact less also.

Now, please realize I am not disagreeing with your assessment that PS3 memory is indeed the faster of the two. I am just trying to make sure that the entire situation is understood before people run off and think they know something based on incomplete information.

And that works both ways. Nobody knows the "dirty" specs for the 360, Wii or PS3 memory (that I can find.) Though with XDR memory, the latency is usually pretty low. The GDDR3 that is used for the RSX is most likely "run of the mill" comparable to most nVidia utilized memory. If I were to guess, I'd say the memory in the 360 is probably the same.

The specs we do know:

PS3:
-- 256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz --
<-> to/from Cell @ 25.6GB/s
-- Cell @ 3.2GHz --
~200GB/s EIB that connect the PPU to 7 SPUs
-- Interconnect @ 35GB/s --
<- to Cell @ 20GB/s from RSX
-> from Cell @ 15GB/s to RSX
-- RSX @ 550MHz --
8 Vertex shader pipelines
24 Pixel shader pipelines
137 shader ops per cycle (24x5 ALU + 8x2 ALU)
100 billion shader operations per second
400-750 million polygons per second *400 triangles (up to 750 using strips, etc.)
4.4 GigaPixel per second fill rate
-- 256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz --
<-> to/from RSX @ 22.4GB/s

360:
-- 512MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz --
<-> to/from the Xenos GPU @ 22.4GB/s
-- Xenos @ 500Mhz --
48 Unified shader pipelines
2 shader ops per cycle (2 ALU per pipeline)
48 billion shader operation per second
500 million triangles per second *not polygons
4 GigaPixel per second fill rate
<-> On die dedicated memory "logic" controller @~32GB/s
<-> connected to 10MB On die memory @ 256GB/s
*essentially "free" AA up to 720p.
-- Interconnect --
<- to Xenos @ 10.8GB/s from CPU
-> from Xenos @ 10.8GB/s to CPU
-- CPU @ 3.2GHz --
3 Core General Processing CPU

I don't think I was ambigous about my post at all.  It should be clear to anyone who is going to be able to understand the info that I meant all memory.  I'm just trying to figure out why you felt it necessary to respond by saying it applies to the 360 also and then quote specs.

Don't take me the wrong way here, I'm not trying to be condecending or rude, I'm just trying to make sure I understood the point of your post and that I didn't miss a bigger point you were trying to make.

@MikeB,

While I appreciate, and agree to a large extent, that this guy misstates a number of things.  This whole idea that you can simply look at a single game on a console and understand whether or not the console has development issues is just as silly and innacurate as the things said in this article.

This type of issue isn't one that is clear cut where you can just point to a single example and say that it is true for all scenarios.  Different games need to be dealt with in different ways and often times that can completely change the way the console's resources are utilized and managed.   

To Each Man, Responsibility

Are the people calling developer's "lazy" or "mediocre" trained developers themselves? Do you have any idea what the differences are between developing software on a symmetrical multiprocessor system with a shared memory model versus an asymmetrical multiprocessor with a distributed memory model?

I studied both in school while getting my degree in computer science, have built software professionally using both models, and for two years was a PC and mobile game developer. Any objective person trained in the field will tell you there is no question that it is more difficult to develop software for asymmetrical processor systems and the distributed memory model complicates it even further. The same person will also tell you that there is also no question that the more complicated model in this case uses hardware more efficiently so given equivalent power can do more work.

So please stop calling developers "lazy" and "mediocre" for telling a scientific truth, the PS3 is more complicated to develop for then the 360. But please feel free to mention that it is also true that the PS3 architecture is more flexible and has greater potential power.

P.S.: I am glad I am not in the game development business right now. There are three system that all have substantial differences, one in the control scheme the other two in software design philosophy. This makes it extremely hard to be efficient which makes it even harder then usual to make money. Disruptive technologies, which the Cell and motion control both are in this case, cause painful transitions.

@billsalias - thanks for your comment. I was getting lost reading all the posts. I'm not educated in this field.
maybe PS3 wanted to push BR and decided to build a machine that is greater but not so dev. friendly (for now)
It's a risk they made and so far it's not panning out so well for them.
But in couple of years, PS3 will be able to shine.
For now, I'll wait for R&C and see how great PS3 can be.
Thanks