By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Microsoft has sealed Sony's fate in november....

ocnkng said:
disolitude said:
Noobie said:
If Microsoft need to keep its XBOX price $200 below PS3 to sell more than PS3 than its a very scary position for them.. What they will do when PS3 will be for $249 n then $199... will they be giving it away for free then.

I totally agree when Sony said that console race is a marathon not a sprint.. selling even 500k at rock bottom price is not something to be proud of.

and as someone else said that it is still only America not even NA.. if PS3 meet its 13m target then i dont think Sony will worry much whether XBOX sells 10m or 20m.. they r meeting their projection well ..

Funny you should say this as last time I checked PS3 is still being sold at a loss 3 years in. Rock bottom price anyone?

What's selling at a loss got to do with rock bottom price?

One is a factor effecting the manufacturer (selling at a loss)

The other is something influencing the buyer (rock bottom price/very low price)

They are two entirely separate things.

In your haste to prove a point you just forgot basic logic.

Thanks for explaining the basic logic.. 

Around the Network

Wow.... only the fanboys think this is actually a $99 360 vs a $300 PS3... this is a $200 stripped down Arcade 360 vs a $300 PS3. Walmart is offering a gift card that has to be used at their store for their products. You still have to pay $200 to get the console....

Euphoria14 said:

What I think is still yet to be seen is whether or not this 400% Walmart increase effected stores like Gamestop, Target, Bestbuy, etc... sales.

While Walmart may have gone up 400% isn't is possible that the others dropped for the week?

Probably not that much of a difference but who knows?

Great Point.

I wonder how big the drop off will be for the 360 the week after ;)

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

isn't this like a premature ejaculation? say that 360 wins for 1 week... so? the ps3 has been winning for 2 months.. and this $100 gift card thing isn't permanent.

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:
I wonder how big the drop off will be for the 360 the week after ;)

Probably negative drop off (aka increase).  Unless you mean the week AFTER this week of MW2 release and after the Walmart deal finally expires.

Why the heck are you being so dramatic? One month in one region won't decide the entire holidays.

whelp, walmart is soon, if not already sold out and won't be offering that special again.

170,000 sounds about right.

theprof00 said:
whelp, walmart is soon, if not already sold out and won't be offering that special again.

170,000 sounds about right.

Shipments... they sold out as of 9:00 AM on Saturday.  But so long as they keep getting more shipments throughout this week they'll keep the deal going.

ocnkng said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
this only shows the 360 can nev er conpete with the PS3 at the same price.

And rightfully so.

If you bundle bluray, wifi and use a biggest brand name in gaming for the last 10 years how would a lesser known product compete at same price?

So you are saying that the PS3 is a better product for the same price. Ya I agree with you. lots of people seem to think that way as well.

I disagree.  You might at the same price say it includes some items that increase it's value, like BR or wireless, but to say it's a better product is another story.  I still think the online is lacking and overall found the motion controls be less than helpful.  For me, I also think they could have evolved the controller.  It's just not as friendly for those of us with larger hands.  As for the games, it is getting some good games now but the blockbuster PS3 games are spread way too thin, now even GT5 isn't going to be released outside of Japan till past March.  While the worldwide sales of the PS3 will likely sustain the PS3 for this generation, even if they keep having to sell the system at a loss, being behind in NA really hurts them.

Still, the previous poster is right.  Sony had to really screw up to be in a position to play pricing games with Microsoft and they did (and to add insult to injury, Nintendo stole their launch thunder and gutted thier casual market).  Now Sony has had to continue to sell its console at a loss to stay competitive with Microsoft.  Sony needs the NA market but lost much of their former hold.  So, be careful how you flip that argument.  Sony has a console that did not do well at a high price point and has been pushed into tightening that belt around their stomach even tighter just to try and build momentum.  These price cuts are hurting Sony deeply and the goal is to win back the NA market.  They know they have the Japan and European market (in the HD gaming arena), but the NA market is one homogeneous market that can sustain a console just by itself.

The 360 couldn't have competed with the PS3 at the same price if they were launched at the same time and with the same quality of library at the time, but that isn't what happened.  The 360 has momentum now, so it can compete with the PS3 even at the same price.  Microsoft does have it easier if they do drop the price of the 360, though.  The hardware is cheaper and they have never had to remove features to drop their price (BC still there and same USB ports, vs fewer USB ports, no BC, removed card reader). 

The PS3 slim is still a great idea and a good product, but I don't think Sony dreamed of being in this situation.  Selling the system at a loss this late in the game is a situation they have been forced into.  Sony has to stay even with Microsoft in order to grow their market, so Microsoft is now dictating how the HD console pricing is going to go, not Sony.  Sony is being forced to react.  That is a bad spot to be in.

I give this thread a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.