By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - $99 for an X-Box 360.... Smart move? Or an act of desperation?

Ronster316 said:
Bladeforce said:
Desperation it's a last resort to an oncoming jugganaut from a Sony and Nintendo christmas and Microsoft have no answer

Sony lost last xmas badly, so whats your point?

Like i said, sony have made their move "earlier than intended ps3 slim launch"

Microsoft still have plenty left up their sleeve, (and a great software tie ratio and overall sales, Who can argue with 11 million sales combined for Gears 1 & 2, and Halo 3 & ODST's almost 13 million sales and counting)

And with sequels to some big sellers on the way like Fable III (Fable II, 3.2+ million) and Halo: Reach (Halo 3, 10+ million), theres every chance that 2010 could be Microsofts year.

And Natal is sure as hell creating much more media buzz than sonys wand.

they actually delayed the price cut til it was more afforable also with slim was in rumours a year ago ;).

Around the Network
Xoj said:
kowenicki said:
desperation is when you continue to sell your console at a loss to gain market share and save face.....

actually 99$ would be huge loss. though they  regain on live.

so by your definition it's desperation.

Wrong again.  First, I don't think they would drop it to $99 for many reasons.  Second, even if they did, his definition was "continue to sell for a loss to gain market share and save face".  The Xbox 360 has been making profit on hardware for some time, while the PS3 never has and still does not.  The Xbox 360 is the one in 2nd place and not needing desperately to gain marketshare or bolster customer opinion of their product.  Third, we don't know how much the Arcade costs to produce.  Perhaps dropping it to $99 wouldn't lose them that much money?

kowenicki said:
desperation is when you continue to sell your console at a loss to gain market share and save face.....

Exactly. And even though the Arcade has been $200 for a year now the 360 still can't seem to take any marketshare from the Wii. And the PS3 has outsold the 360 by 1.5 million units in 2009. So the question is: if Microsoft won't drop the Arcade down to $99 then what can they do? If they do nothing then by January the gap between PS3 and 360 will be lower then its ever been. 

Desperation with 9 mln. lead in NA? NO.

But 99$ is really cheap.
This shows, that Microsoft is ready to secure NA at any cost.

Ronster316 said:

PS3 slim launching sooner than sony intended to launch it, act of desperation on sonys part?

Do you have any proof that they launched it sooner than they intended?  If not, then you are just making it up.

Around the Network
ZorroX said:

But 99$ is really cheap.

It's more important then people realise that 360 not lose marketshare to the PS3. Every 360 owner or potential 360 owner that goes to PS3 is the possibility of an XBL subscription that gets cancelled or never gets created. For me it's a no brainer to not be a goldmember, why the hell am I gonna pay a fee to play COD online when I can do   it for free? Sweet sweet free. I love free.

It's called competition, and MS has being doing this for years. Their price is an advantage, so they use it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
whatever said:
Ronster316 said:

PS3 slim launching sooner than sony intended to launch it, act of desperation on sonys part?

Do you have any proof that they launched it sooner than they intended?  If not, then you are just making it up.

He's said it twice in this thread already. How many times have they revised the 360 hardware? Seems like every other month we're hearing about a new chip like the Jasper, or the Falcon, or the cyclops etc. etc.

if MS does drop the 360 to $99 very soon just to slow down ps3 slim momentum then maybe cause I mean 360 arcade is alrdy $100 cheaper than the slim and still more ppl choose to purchase a $299 ps3 and even more wants a Wii now they at same price so the price of the 360 isnt the problem why it's not selling more plus $99 for 360 seems very early TBH I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Steroid said:
ZorroX said:

But 99$ is really cheap.

It's more important then people realise that 360 not lose marketshare to the PS3. Every 360 owner or potential 360 owner that goes to PS3 is the possibility of an XBL subscription that gets cancelled or never gets created. For me it's a no brainer to not be a goldmember, why the hell am I gonna pay a fee to play COD online when I can do   it for free? Sweet sweet free. I love free.

Well, it depends on how much money you lose doing it.  If it becomes cheaper to make live free vs. major losses on hardware then it doesn't make sense. 

Also, you'll get to the point where it will no longer be an either/or proposition.  If the arcade is cheap enough (and I think a $99 arcade would qualify), then people would be able to get the $99 arcade and the $299 PS3, which then still presents the same problem you mentioned above.