By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IYO, what are the worst things this gen has brought to the table?

DRM, DLC, 30 frames per second, XBL Gold so popular.

Around the Network

The Wii, Casual Drivvle, DLC, Breakages

JGarret said:

IYO (in your opinion), what are they?

As far as I´m concerned, I don´t like the excessive DLC and the idea (that seems to be gaining ground) a game must have online co-op (or other online options) in order to be considered good or great.

thx for saying that

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

FANBOYS!!!!!!!!!

I had no problems owning every consol available until this generation started. Fanboys changed that for me

motion controls

Around the Network

People who think that the Call of Duty Franchise is hardcore.

Enjoy

before last week, i would've said motion controls too. but Wii Fit has completely changed my opinion on that lol.

i'd have to say DLC. i miss the days when paying $60 meant you get a full game, not half of one.

It's all about the game.

naznatips said:
The fact that consoles have now reverted to PCs 10 years ago.

Release it buggy, require installs, patch extensively to fix bugs, crashes, glitches, and slowdown now considered completely acceptable in big name games.

Hit the nail on the head there. Other things:

-Unlock shit that is already on the Disk DLC.

-DLC that comes out days/weeks after the game is released.

-Overpriced DLC.

-HD games costing so much that they put good studios under due to one bomb. I know the studio takes this risk, but I dont like the idea of like 5 major companies making all the games.

-Licencing to play a game so there is no physical copy and or resale value. I was so pissed to buy a new copy of L4D2 on PC to find that all that was on the inside was a STEAM liscence key and a DVD with the shit that I could just download through Steam. This also includes the few XBL games I own. I dont mind taking advantage of STEAM's insane deals where games become like $2 but to pay full price for a game with $0 of value once you buy it is bullshit.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Expensive DLC that offers jack shit (such as Call of Duty: World at War map packs, 4 maps for €9.99).
The glitches loads of games seem to come with, as developers can "patch it later".
Hardware issues (although it's primarily the 360, the PS3 is hardly perfect).

-The terms hardcore and casual
-Adding multiplayer cat the expense of singleplayer
-Co-op
-Cutscenes that last too long