By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS division has lost $4.7 Billion since launching PS3

The Ghost of RubangB said:
ph4nt said:
Aren't companies supposed to quit when they're losing billions of dollars a year? What the hell's wrong with these people?

Sony and MS are big companies, a 4 billion loss won't hurt em. But a 4 billion loss for Nintendo would be devestating.

How could you trust such a beautiful delicate art form like game design to a gigantic corporation that can't even spend a single day without losing 3 million dollars?

I know what you mean. I don't think it'll be too long before Sony pulls the plug on the PS division. Right now, it's only hurting them and gaming as an art form.

Around the Network
pterodactyl said:
ph4nt said:
Aren't companies supposed to quit when they're losing billions of dollars a year? What the hell's wrong with these people?

Sony and MS are big companies, a 4 billion loss won't hurt em. But a 4 billion loss for Nintendo would be devestating.

How could you trust such a beautiful delicate art form like game design to a gigantic corporation that can't even spend a single day without losing 3 million dollars?

I know what you mean. I don't think it'll be too long before Sony pulls the plug on the PS division. Right now, it's only hurting them and gaming as an art form.

Yeah... I know what you mean... I mean... Sony has had 3 very successful consoles. Hell 1 blunder which has only been out half of its life and expected to start profiting soon is a good reason to pull out. /sarcasm.

BTW didnt you say Sony couldnt drop the price of the Ps3 on a slim because it would be more to manufacture? Didn't you also say that the Ps3 slim wasnt real? Didn't you say the Ps3 slim would only help Japan?

Gont you hate being blinded by your sony hatred and being wrong all the time?

Well it looks like they are one quarter away from wiping out the PS1s profit as well. Theres only $264M before they go into the red overall.

Tease.

For every single ps3, sony makes losses; with 27mil consoles now there's not yet any reasonable profit. Plus games that do not sell after all the investments.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

^^care to name those games??? i know about Lair and Haze but that's all

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
so yen, minor PS3 losses, dumping losses for PS3 Phat, R&D costs for (new VAIO/walkman/PSP 2/ PS4)

thats probably why they have lost so much

I mean ideally PS4 R&D should have begun by now

PS3 R&D began in 2002 apprently

I read an interview a view weeks ago, and a Sony Rep said that R&D on new models begin a week after the current model is launched. It starts out as busy work for the 1st year, then about 2-3 years in the engineers kick into high gear and start prepring for 2nd stage R&D, which he could not detail, rather not allowed to give details on.

alanshearer said:
puffy said:
Sony as a company have problems and this is simply down to sub par management.

I have to laugh at stuff like this. You havent a clue AT ALL. The year before the financial/currency meltdowns Sony posted record profits. The Yen surging put most major Japanese companies in trouble. It's not rocket science kid.

Your the one who is laughable. You dont understand economics do you. The current problems Sony has is indeed mismanagement. That the yen is not working for them is something they should have taken in account. Losing 6 billion on one console is not very good management, its very hard to make that much back. And believe it or not, the ps3 was made to be a big cashcow for sony and that alone. 

The first xbox also caused big losses (not as big as the ps3 though), but at least it had its strategy behind it and it was up against the mighty Playstation 2 and the less mighty gamecube. They just wanted to penetrate the market.

The ps3 is finally selling ok, and thats cool if your a ps3 lover. But if you look at the big picture the ps3 is a failure, they went from owning the whole gaming market and making big profits to third place and big losses. 

It doesnt matter if Sony made money before currency meltdowns, what matters is now. Besides, the ps3 was already accountable for 2/3 billion in losses before the markets went crazy.

this is sad because in order to stay competitive they are losing money with the ps3, which I think is at a great price right now

@Blade of god

i think he means killzone 2 as sony spent to much money on the development

In The End , There Will Be Only Chaos

Killzone 2 payed its bills and its profitable