By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata (not laughing): ' We failed with the Wii'

Sigh, i think nintendo just had blind confidence that 2009 was gna be the same, but no major software killed it. WSR is the only notable one that got released, with other fringe titles. But u need big games to sell, where are they?

Around the Network

Not again! I'm fed up with these typical arrogant comments from videogames companies!

Wait a second... What was that?

On a serious note, Iwata is partially right. I mean, they somewhat failed according to their expectations, but the Wii has been an enormous success, at the end, and it's still selling impressively well. But yes, it lacks those "next thing" games.

"I think that I don't think."

- Soli Deo Gloria -

The FUTURE is the FUTURE. Now... B_E_L_I_E_V_E!

d21lewis said:
I don't know what to say.

But you know what to post (what you posted).

"I think that I don't think."

- Soli Deo Gloria -

The FUTURE is the FUTURE. Now... B_E_L_I_E_V_E!

im so curious as to what happened. clearly something in terms of developemt has got fucked up but i dont know what

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

IT is interesting they recognize this. The question is, what will they do to take it from here?

Around the Network

I believe there were to few third party titles for 2009, and some bigger titles such as Red Steel 2 was moved to 2010.

maykissthebride said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
maykissthebride said:

And you know why?

Because New Super Mario Bros Wii cant generate enough hype to be ‘the next thing.’

It aint a AAA game in the head of the general public! Because it dont have any kind of innovative motion control!!!!

People see Wii Sports and buy the wii.

And then they have to play New Super mario Bros?

In 2d?

Without motion controls?????

of course you gonna lose your precious momentum!

"Look how im playing tennis! And that´s just a tease! In the future, we will se REGULAR games that you will play like that!"

But the future never came!!!!

Only shovelware, stupid waggling and 2D games dressed as new games!

And it was plain obvious, all this time.

Now it all came to this: WE FAILED

*barrows Khuutra avatar*

What does being 2D have to do with anything?

On top of that what does "shovelware" have to do with what Iwata said?

What does any of that have to do with what he said? *sigh*

Just learn to read and you will understand.

You realize insluting people will get you no where right?  In fact its against the rules to flame anyone.  I posed the question how does that relate to what he said, he never once mentioned shovelware, never once mentioned NSMB Wii, nor mentioned "waggle".  The statement was more or less saying they failed to keep up the pace with releasing software and making new games that are "the next big thing" that will push hardware sales.

Next time if someone poses a question to your statement, you can explain it a little more, ignore them, or pretty much anything that doesn't violate the rules but especially don't insult/flame them.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I'm glad he has admitted it.

Whatever cause the drought (and people have their hypotheses, it's just speculation at this stage for us), I hope they have come to recognize the problem internally.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Khuutra said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Glad that they realized it. Maybe the old Nintendo from the SNES days is still alive. You know the one that didn't tolerate an abundance of shovelware on it's system

...That is not what's being talked about here.

You know it has to be mentioned at least once in every Nintendo thread by now Khuutra :P

OT: Yeah it's odd that they didn't have a good line of games ready to go, probably too much time spent on new concepts and ended up at dead ends and not enough tried and true games to at least keep things going how they wanted, either way the third party support kept me satisfied just none of it was another "next big thing" title like they mention.

It started at e3 2008.  Before the conference they said they were going to be showing lots of new games for the core.  Then, the conference just seemed off from the start.  When Reggie said they had one more game to show, everybody thought it would be Kingdom Hearts 3 since Microsoft showed FFXIII at the end of theirs and instead it turned out to be Wii Music.

E3 2009 was awesome.  It was right up there with the PS3's conference in many ways as the best one with MG2 and Other M.  (However, to be honest, I would love to see how those games would be on one of the two more powerful techwise consoles instead).

But, in the end, someone failed to deliver the traditional games in 2008 to bring in the traditional gamers and the expanded audience that expands your install base are only interested in very few games in the series that brought them to the console in the first place.

You can have the expanded audience to keep expanding your install base, but you need the traditional games to keep bringing those that traditionally play games to your console -- see DS.

Scoobes said:
Rainbird said:
Hmm... well, as long as they know what whent wrong, then there is something to work with. But I agree, the software has been lacking, though Nintendo is not the only ones to blame. A greater effort from 3rd parties could have made the problem smaller. The rest as they say, is history

I don't think Nintendo are completely blameless. By the sound of things they need to communicate better with 3rd parties to help them understand the Wii. It's been 3 yrs and 3rd parties are mostly failing to bring out anything inspiring to the console. Its like they need someone to give them a push in the right direction and say, "Hey, look, you can do this and you can be sucessful!". Nintendo can only do so much with 1st party material. Most people are confident that the next Zelda is going to be something special but they need games to fill in the gap and its not happening with only 1st-party games.

I do find it odd though that they say they've failed... high standards.

From all the reports prior to the release of the Wii, Nintendo really worked to try to bring third-parties to the table, much more than it ever had before.

Taking that into account, as well as the lower development costs and higher sales rates, it should be surprising that more shovelware ended up on the Wii than ever before on a Nintendo console.  That is a sign of success.

But a sign of not success was that the bigger budget titles were often not ported (or have been ported in reduced or late versions).  By and large, the same qualities that made it a sales success with the masses -- the motion, the accessibility, the general-level display not needing HD -- made it much less advantageous for third parites to bring over high level games. Reprogramming and selling to non-traditional customers just were not worth it for these companies, particulary those that could continue to earn high profits selling to their traditional customers who had the other consoles. Instead, they developed less-than-stellar gaming experiences for the Wii, resulting in a perception that the system is only for poor quality games.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV