By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 2 Q3 2010 feat. Blu Ray

Exclusive: Wii 2 specs leaked, Blu-ray enabled and 1080p support?

We've just received some exclusive news and specs on the Wii 2 via Logic-Sunrise.com) (though a Nintendo of France marketing employee). The leaked specs denote the Wii 2 will get a Blu-ray drive (mainly to stop piracy), but will also support 1080P for games as well as movies. The new system is due out during the third quarter of next year and there will be the option to trade in old Wii's!

Please note the above image is just for illustration purposes.

More details below (translated from French):

This is a nice exclusive we have here at MaxConsole courtesy of Artik from www.Logic-sunrise.com on the Wii 2. The actual information is said to have been leaked from an internal source of the marketing Nintendo France Service. Unlucky for them, this kind of information should stay internal, but that's not our philosophy.

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worlwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course.

Why do we believe it at all ?

* Artik from Logic-Sunrise.com has regularly provided news to MaxConsole and has a lot of 'insider' contacts.

* Nintendo has suggested that it's time they embraced high definition technology for the Wii and Blu-ray has firmly established itself. So a Wii 2 with Blu-ray support does make sense.

----------------------

Thoughts? Would be a nice move by Nintendo, if you ask me. Im not a fan of the Wii as it is, so a HD version with Blu Ray is something i'd like to see.

Around the Network

already posted, but I want to add a question into it, will the WII 2 just up the resolution, or will it actually have a significantly superior graphics card on the level of the GPU's in the PS3/360?

mM

Wait...is this for real?!

Trade wii for a wii2 for a cheaper price.... hope it's really cheaper and not just $50 off x)

This is so already posted here : http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=90641

Around the Network

Already posted and stupid

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=90641&page=1

leo-j said:
already posted, but I want to add a question into it, will the WII 2 just up the resolution, or will it actually have a significantly superior graphics card on the level of the GPU's in the PS3/360?

It would probably surpass the GPU's of the PS360. They are based on GPU's from 2005/2006. Even if you argue a similar upgrade that the Wii was from the GC, the Wii's gpu is around the level of those found in 2003/2004. I'm thinking the Wii 2 at the lowest will probably have a performance output similar to that the 8800gt gave out, which is much better than what the PS360 can do. That is at a low end though. I'm expecting something around a 9800gt in performance. Which I estimate is about the same distance from the PS360 as they are from the Wii. This is all in linear terms though. The Wii's gpu should at least perform many of the shaders that are found in HD games today, without being under 60fps. It may also bring in the new lighting effects that I expect to come with the next generation of PC gaming and maybe consoles.

@Tedseriscool Probably not.

^ Are there any facts behind that statement that 360/PS3 cant do 8800gt standards? Nothing intended with the question, i just really want to know.

I call Bullshit!!!

You know why, because of this "A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2"

EB and Game do this anyway, but Nintendo doing it themselvs...I think not, no console company has ever done this, it's to costly for them, and Nintendo being so conservative and cheap would be the last company to ever do this.

As for for the Specs of the machine, I reckon Nintendo will again be conservative with it's hardware specs so that like always they can sell it cheap, for around the $200 mark, and make profit on the hardware from day 1, so here are the following specs which I reckon have a high chance of happening:-

- Blu-ray drive: Wii2 will not play Blu-ray movies, it will only use it for games, this will save money on movie playback royalties, but will ensure that piracy will be significantly lowered...this is pretty much in line with how Nintendo works.

- GPU: Shader based graphics chip however it won't be your typical off the shelf chip, it will be a custom based one that will allow hardware based backwards emulation...assuming Nintendo wants give it's consumers backwards compatability.

- 720p Max resolution: 1080p is nice and all but the hardware is still costly and remember that Nintendo wants to keep the end product cheap for consumers and profitable for them.

- CPU: mostly like be a dual core processor clocked @ 3.2Ghz

Asking more from Nintendo, it's like trying to milk a bull, it ain't happening...yes Nintendo has tons of cash, but clearly they don't want to spend it all, I guess they want a saftey net...I'd do the same if I was thrashed for 2 consecutive generations.

my 2 cents.

It's bullshit because it makes no sense. Why would Nintendo cut the life-span of their best selling console ever short? Why!? Please, stop the nonsense, I get so sick of seeing these stupid rumors, but even more sick of people who take them seriously.