By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 2 Q3 2010 feat. Blu Ray

Ok if it is true then:

1. It'll be low power, something like 20-30W so expect it to still be less powerful than the PS3/360. It'll probably be 1/2 to 2/3rds as powerful as an Xbox 360. It'll likely use a GPU derived off the ATI mobile parts, a low end DX10 mobile part is the most likely. Direct X 11 compatibility is too soon and too expensive to expect. A dual core POWER architecture could be it, or they could go for a low power dual core X86 from AMD.

2. The BRD is to allow for faster data streaming at low power/noise levels and to prevent piracy.

3. The console will come with an upscaling chip and HDMI output.

4. Games will be backwards / forwards compatible? I wonder if they will go for a DVD/BR hybrid?

(guesses)

Tease.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
leo-j said:
already posted, but I want to add a question into it, will the WII 2 just up the resolution, or will it actually have a significantly superior graphics card on the level of the GPU's in the PS3/360?

It would probably surpass the GPU's of the PS360. They are based on GPU's from 2005/2006. Even if you argue a similar upgrade that the Wii was from the GC, the Wii's gpu is around the level of those found in 2003/2004. I'm thinking the Wii 2 at the lowest will probably have a performance output similar to that the 8800gt gave out, which is much better than what the PS360 can do. That is at a low end though. I'm expecting something around a 9800gt in performance. Which I estimate is about the same distance from the PS360 as they are from the Wii. This is all in linear terms though. The Wii's gpu should at least perform many of the shaders that are found in HD games today, without being under 60fps. It may also bring in the new lighting effects that I expect to come with the next generation of PC gaming and maybe consoles.

@Tedseriscool Probably not.

Actually, the 8800gt and 9800gt are almost exactly the same, only the label is different, really. There is less than 5% difference in performance at most.

this is a duplicate thread and I'm too lazy to find the other one.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)