By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much of a system seller is Gran Turismo?

richardhutnik said:
Carl2291 said:
Considering Uncharted 2... A reletively unknown franchise with the 1st game already on PS3, increased hardware Worldwide by 20%.

What percentage of increase in sales of the PS3 is due to Uncharted 2, and how much is due to the price cut?

The week before Uncharted 2 released, PS3 hardware was at 212,996.

The week of Uncharted 2, PS3 hardware was at 252,880.

I think it's pretty safe to say what cause the increase in sales.

Around the Network

i don't think people realize just how big it will be.

the formula for system sellers is pretty simple. if you approach it from a common sense point of view you will be wrong...as most here are. it's not a matter of tons of people waiting for a particular moment to get a system. with a data set as big as the commercialized world near (practically infinite for probability's sake) anything with a probability greater than zero will have a noticeable impact on sales. price cuts are the most influential, but game launches come second. even though we are thoroughly into this gen, a popular franchise's first foray into it will cause a splash.

now consider a franchise with the global following of gt. it's been out longer than halo, sold more games than almost any other franchise, and has been in the works for years. if gtp had not already been released, then i would bet anything that its launch blows mgs4 away. even with prologue it will be close. you can mark my words that sony's total sales for the week will be up 50% when it releases. god of war 3 will do really well too, but it doesn't have the following of gran turismo.

art is the excrement of culture

Carl2291 said:
richardhutnik said:
Carl2291 said:
Considering Uncharted 2... A reletively unknown franchise with the 1st game already on PS3, increased hardware Worldwide by 20%.

What percentage of increase in sales of the PS3 is due to Uncharted 2, and how much is due to the price cut?

You are wrong CARL, The PS3 had $3 price drop on Amazon that week, you troll.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I expect, at least, an 100k boost in hardware first week of GT5's release.

I bet anyone 500-600k PS3's along with up to 2 million copies of GT5 are sold in the week GT5 releases.

Around the Network

I know a few people who will buy ps3 when gt5 comes out.

Some people i know still think GT5 will come out for 360. What a shock they will get when it dont

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

psrock said:
Carl2291 said:
richardhutnik said:
Carl2291 said:

You better leave Carl alone or else!!!!   Kidding, that made me laugh, thanks psrock

uber said:
i don't think people realize just how big it will be.

the formula for system sellers is pretty simple. if you approach it from a common sense point of view you will be wrong...as most here are. it's not a matter of tons of people waiting for a particular moment to get a system. with a data set as big as the commercialized world near (practically infinite for probability's sake) anything with a probability greater than zero will have a noticeable impact on sales. price cuts are the most influential, but game launches come second. even though we are thoroughly into this gen, a popular franchise's first foray into it will cause a splash.

now consider a franchise with the global following of gt. it's been out longer than halo, sold more games than almost any other franchise, and has been in the works for years. if gtp had not already been released, then i would bet anything that its launch blows mgs4 away. even with prologue it will be close. you can mark my words that sony's total sales for the week will be up 50% when it releases. god of war 3 will do really well too, but it doesn't have the following of gran turismo.

My focus was on a title causing a system to be sold, rather than how well it sells on a given system.  Gran Turismo was on the top console, and was top in the niche on that console.  How many people bought a Playstation to play just that though?  Or, did they have the console and decided to buy the game as a result?  If the title is that big of a system seller, what kind of sales spike are we looking at with the PSP, for example?  I would say if Gran Turismo hit within the first year of the PS3 coming out, then maybe there would be something.

psrock said:
Carl2291 said:
richardhutnik said:
Carl2291 said:

Ok, that explained it.  It struck me as weird how Uncharted 2 would be the cause of this happening.

GT5 will blow your minds, the game will sell like hot cakes and be fucking awesome, you can quote me on this.