By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank ToD review thread.

MikeB said:
For those who claim the Mario Galaxy spherical world approach is true innovation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZYYHADzWdw

I wouldn't have minded if the new Mario game would include some spherical world sublevels like previous Ratchet and Clank games did, but I think they have overdone it by basing the whole concept on the micro-planet approach.

Who does that? Sonic did it before Mario. Hell, even Wario did it before Mario. What's innovative about Mario is how he does it - what design elements are used to take advantage of it. And no, the entire game isn't based on the concept of spherical worlds. In fact, quite a bit of it isn't. Just so you know.

As for Sunshine, that's just another example of Nintendo innovation. Yes, it wasn't exactly what most people wanted/expected, but it wasn't just "more Mario" either. No new games would be made if developers never took any chances.

Around the Network

Sigh everyone who says that R&C is good get thumbs down on GT X_______X.

Lets all wait for some more reviews, post them here and then discuss.

I never said that "feels last gen" is a bad thing - I liked the core "candy" gameplay in the old R&C games, so that bodes well for this one ("if it isn't broke, don't fix it").

That said, I could imagine a next-gen version of R&C is more than possible. Break the linear levels - let the player explore all they can see. Add some more complex gameplay models, elements, sixaxis weapon control and more.

R&C meets GTA? Set over multiple planets? Surely that would be a cool game to play??

@re - Sunshine: disappointed to see so many people bag it. It is still a pretty awesome game, with some real innovations in gameplay that have never been attempted since. It did suffer from massive expectations though. It is NOT as good as Mario 64 - primarily in my opinion due to a lack of level polish/balancing, and also because the setting didn't exactly inspire the best feelings in people. Bosses got repeated, the chase levels were poorly thought out, the FLUDD weakened the core gameplay and more.

Galaxy has *everything* I want to see from the new Mario. Its not that just spherical worlds have been added - its the additional of "true" gravity, incorporated with these worlds - and moving between them. As far as I can tell, this is a completely new, never before done, gameplay mechanic - and one that completely changes the way the game plays and feels.

Throw in the innovation of the Wiimote pointing, 2-player control, a setting we all want to see (with the return of all the classic Mario characters), suits, lovely graphics, polished cinematics (aka not like Sunshine!) ... and its looking pretty sweet.

We still haven't been able to find *anything* negative said by someone who has actually played the game.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

starcraft said:
theatre mode and forge are Halo 3's innovations

Gran Turismo HD had theatre mode last year.

Halo3's forge is a poor man's editor. Not innovative at all.

But I agree that those 2 features make the game much better.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Yeah.....at least part of the problem with sunshine was the fact that you were playing janitor for a bunch of retards that thought some obviously evil copy of you was you.

My God!!! It's that same guy from earlier, except this guy just got here and he isn't blue and he isn't painting sludge on everything!! GET HIM!!!

Around the Network

@ shams

Its not that just spherical worlds have been added - its the additional of "true" gravity, incorporated with these worlds

What do you mean by that? Some of the planets seem far too small to have any realistic sense of gravity (which would be near to none).

I have seen a lot of footage and I really don't think this game has that general appeal like Super Mario World and Mario 64 did. Although I feel confident it's probably going to be a much better game than Sunshine was. Of course we are going to see much hyped reviews and raving Mario fans on forums. But the game compared to past Mario64's success approach there will be more complex controls (sure Nintento PR is going to say it feels so much more natural... and parts of the gaming press may take their word for it maybe forgetting about their mom and little kids), less the feel of having seamlessly connected worlds and some parts are disorienting.

Oh and I didn't really like Super Mario World 2 as well, a far cry from the fun I had with the original SMW.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Another 9/10 for RC:TD from Pro-G

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/ps3/ratchet_clank_future_tools_of_destruction/review.html

Yet another 9/10 . This time from PSX Extreme.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-reviews/69.html

EDIT: LOL, this review was posted when the thread was created and I somehow missed it, rofl

GameZone reviews R&C:TD... 9.3

http://ps3.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r31924.htm

9.5/10 from Gamernode: http://www.gamernode.com/reviews/4758-ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction/index.html