By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank ToD review thread.

Helios said:
Andir said

Some people can never be happy. They take what was fun with R&C, make it better and add new weapons and enhance the game, and you complain that they didn't utterly do a back flip and rework the game Mario style? Your not sick of the 600 different games that Mario is in now? Tetris-like, platformers, tennis... what's next? Mario FPS? That's truly innovative!

You know why that's a flawed argument, why do you troll?

Frankly, I must say I don't think Ratchet 'deserves' to sell as routsounmanman says (about basically every game, I might add - no offence man). Developers that lack the vision to drive this industry into the future don't deserve strong sales (that said, EA is proof the world isn't fair). Of course, that's just my ideology. The game evidently is just as good as previous R&Cs. If I had a PS3 I would buy it, definitely. It's just funny that, I think, MikeB and probably someone like leo-j said Ratchet could outscore Galaxy - that obviously isn't happening.

R&C aren't driving platformers forward but they are building a franchise step by step one step at a time. It's not quite necessary to reinvent a game in its every iteration just for the sake of innovation. If something still works like a dream then why fix it? As long as it doesn't end up like Mario Party. Now THAT is bad.

And I am an optimist by default

Around the Network

@Andir - you go look at the Simpsons game and come back and tell me EA sucks.

Anyway, I've already decided that I'm going to be trading in some games to put towards the preorder of this game. (Hopefull CoD3 (ps3) + Sims 2 + University Pack (PC) + Haven (PS2) and King Kong (PS2) whacks about £15 off the price).

Andir said:
sieanr said:
Andir said:
Sqrl said:

Honestly I am having a hard time fathoming the logic behind it,but a quick glance over your posting record shows a PS3 bias and all is explained.

You know... I could say the same thing about your post here. I can't understand why someone would critisize a game for sticking ot it's style, improving upon it and ironing out the kinks.

Hmm, where did he criticize the game for sticking to its style. Oh, right, he didn't

Sqrl said:In any case, I have to say I agree with Shams, the game will be fantastic and as I have said in other threads a very compelling reason to buy a PS3. But I too feel it is missing the spark that makes top 10 games, top 10 games.

^ right there in your quote: "I have to say I agree with Shams, the game will be fantastic and as I have said in other threads a very compelling reason to buy a PS3. But I too feel it is missing the spark that makes top 10 games, top 10 games."  <- critisism

"Missing spark that makes it a op 10 game" =/= criticizing for staying the same

Bolded stuff so its extra easy for you to read.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I've already posted this, but: GT "It's the best in a series of incredible games" clearly shows that Insomniac is pushing this franchise in the direction it should be going.

Insomniac have proven to be one of the best developers this gen, this is their second, AAA game in a year. Within another year they will have another AAA game in RFOM:2.

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Andir said:
sieanr said:
Andir said:
Sqrl said:

Honestly I am having a hard time fathoming the logic behind it,but a quick glance over your posting record shows a PS3 bias and all is explained.

You know... I could say the same thing about your post here. I can't understand why someone would critisize a game for sticking ot it's style, improving upon it and ironing out the kinks.

Hmm, where did he criticize the game for sticking to its style. Oh, right, he didn't

Sqrl said:In any case, I have to say I agree with Shams, the game will be fantastic and as I have said in other threads a very compelling reason to buy a PS3. But I too feel it is missing the spark that makes top 10 games, top 10 games.

^ right there in your quote: "I have to say I agree with Shams, the game will be fantastic and as I have said in other threads a very compelling reason to buy a PS3. But I too feel it is missing the spark that makes top 10 games, top 10 games." <- critisism

"Missing spark that makes it a op 10 game" =/= criticizing for staying the same

Bolded stuff so its extra easy for you to read.

In agreeing with shams (who is also a mod): "My biggest criticism of the game, is that it still "feels" last gen"

He is also saying the same.

Edit: I'm talking about critisism of in a general term. Just because you want to put me on a pillar of some sort of defamatory cruade for quoting him doesn't make you right.

Also, your getting off topic.  From the forum rules: "It's very simple - use the thread title to sum up or describe what you are saying in your post. Do not use the title as a deceptive hook to lure people in."  (Which you are doing by pulling me out and nit picking my statements.)

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Another review from GamesRadar

GamesRadar Reviews Rachet & Clank and gives it a 9.0 with the following closing comments:

"For all its next-gen brilliance, however, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction doesn't really tamper much with the formula that made its PS2 predecessors great, and that's at once a relief and a disappointment. Ratchet & Clank Future isn't a revolution, but it is a marvelously kickass game that'll keep you entertained for hours as you plumb the depths of its huge levels, find creative ways to blow up its monsters and try to ferret out all its dozens of cleverly hidden items. This is the best the series has to offer, and that makes it a must-buy."

add me

Sqrl said:
MikeB said:
@ shams

Is the much hyped Halo 3 really innovative? Actually, I am technically far more impressed with R&C: TOD. IMO don't fix what isn't broken, I have now watched so many Mario Galaxy footages and have nearly come to the conclusion the game isn't really meant for me, I would rather have seen a genuine Mario64 sequel, my girlfriend, who's also a huge fan of Mario64, holds the same perspective.

I like the fact that God of War 2 was like the original God of War, but pushing the hardware and polishing things even further, hopefully Sony doesn't break this success formula for God of War 3.

You are in a very small minority......like midgets over 6 feet tall, etc...

Joking aside, I can understand how some people get dizzy with SMG, I can understand how some people just don't like the genre...but you are the first (and 2nd if we count your GF) person to not like the way the game looks based on what they are doing new. Honestly I am having a hard time fathoming the logic behind it,but a quick glance over your posting record shows a PS3 bias and all is explained.

Nothing to be ashamed about, I'm sure my Wii ownership influences my gaming priorities as well...but man, you should be able to give props where they are due. I really hope that your anti-SMG viewpoint is based out of an honest dislike of what you see and not a shallow need to convince yourself that the grass really isn't greener on the other side.

In any case, I have to say I agree with Shams, the game will be fantastic and as I have said in other threads a very compelling reason to buy a PS3. But I too feel it is missing the spark that makes top 10 games, top 10 games.

If it's any comfort to you, note that I have bought way more Nintendo game consoles than Playstation consoles and Mario 64 and Super Mario World are two of my all time favourite games.

My enthusiasm for the PS3 has more to do with my weakspot for technologically impressive ahead of their time products. It's not the first time I dislike redone sequels compared to the original success formulas. I liked the original Monkey Island (1&2) and Simon the Sorceror (1&2) games better than what came afterwards. Similarly I didn't like 3D pacman clones that much, but I loved Edgar M Vigdal's Deluxe Pacman (/Deluxe Pocmon) remake which still offered the familiar gameplay but extended the concept with tons of new ideas and much improved 2D graphics or his remake of Galaga (Deluxe Galaga / Warblade). I greatly disliked the Sonic The Hedgehog 3D remakes I've played, the original Lemmings was IMO the best and part II with new ideas was pretty good as well, but 3D lemmings, I didn't like at all, etc, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

JUST what I excpected from Insomniac

PS3's FIRST HYPED game that LIVES UP TO IT

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Globox said:
Actually 1UP gave it 8.5, since it seems only first score matters

1st reviewer 8.5

2nd reviewer 9.0

3rd reviewer 9.5

Check it here http://forums.insomniacgames.com/index.php?topic=39906.0

Actually 1UP hasn't posted their score yet (as of the time of this writing).  The 3 scores you have typed out are from EGM.  EGM is a North American gaming magazine in which the average of the three review scores is taken when they're handing out awards for games.  For example Ratchet & Clank Future received a gold award from them (a game where the average of the reviews is 90% - 99%).  Since they do that in their magazine their scores if someone wants to give "one final score" should be the average of the three scores.