By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank ToD review thread.

Diomedes1976 said:
In any case this gameranking thing is quite unscientific even by their own approach ...it only counts british and american sites .Never counts Famitsu or the mags from other parts of the world (rest of Europe ,Australia etc ) .

The nice thing about Gamerankings is that its score is a combination of a variety of personal views of a game and therefore reduces the influence of personal bias; on top of that you can see a distribution of how the review scores break down and see if a game has a love-hate type of reaction.

If IGN gives a game a 10/10 what does it really mean? Suppose the reviewer is a newly wed and is "getting lucky" like a rockstar and the game in question reminds him of a story he wrote as a young child, will this impact his score? What if the reviewer is going through a tough divorce and the main character in the game reminds the reviewer of the man who slept with his wife, will that impact the review?

Your life will have a massive influence on how you see everything and by taking a wide collection of people's views you are more likely to come to a more objective look at something.

Around the Network

Ratchet and Mario Galaxy both look like great games. Wait can't both be great?

What I say is that you take gamerankings as if it has the widest number of reviews and the more points of views possible ,as if it was "universal " .When in fact it only tracks the reviews of the anglosaxon sites and leaves all the other sites reviews (jeuxfrance ,playfrance ,meristation ,famitsu ,dengeki,all the european paper press ,etc etc ) aside from inclusion .

Just a critic to the methodological approach used .

Astrodust said:
Ratchet and Mario Galaxy both look like great games. Wait can't both be great?
Don't be absurd!!!

add me

Munkeh said:
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
In any case this gameranking thing is quite unscientific even by their own approach ...it only counts british and american sites .Never counts Famitsu or the mags from other parts of the world (rest of Europe ,Australia etc ) .

So... in otherwords it's not Gamespot that's bias against the PS3, but all of the English speaking countries of the world.

He's just saying the in gamerankings, their overall statistics are unreliable, he never said anything about it being biased against PS3. Although in truth the Xbox is most popular in Britain and America but this has very little to do with game reviews

Nah, the thing is he just doesn't know anything about "Scientific Approaches" or statistics.  For example. 

I was part of a consumer psychology group conducting a research product on globally who uses the interent to research and purcahse products.

Did we go to EVERY country in the world?  No.  We used Data from the US, Aursralia, Russia and I want to say... India.  Was our study unscientific?  No.  It's was perfectly acceptable as far as standards go.  Why didn't we go to Spain, Africa, mexico, japan etc? 

1. Limited Resources

2. Nobody spoke those languages at the time.

You can if you have a broad enough number of different sources (The many many different Magazine) assume that a lot of factors are going to be similar around the world.

Furthermore it would be irresponsible to compare include japanese numbers with English numbers.  With the above study we isolated each culture and then extracted similiarties among many different cultures, we didn't mash it all together and make decisions about that.  If you want to argue anything about the numbers you should argue the UK reviews should be taken out and put on a seperate site.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
What I say is that you take gamerankings as if it has the widest number of reviews and the more points of views possible ,as if it was "universal " .When in fact it only tracks the reviews of the anglosaxon sites and leaves all the other sites reviews (jeuxfrance ,playfrance ,meristation ,famitsu ,dengeki,all the european paper press ,etc etc ) aside from inclusion .

Just a critic to the methodological approach used .

Combining all those together from different cultures would be quite irresponsible for a methodological approach.

Kasz216 said:
Munkeh said:
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:

So... in otherwords it's not Gamespot that's bias against the PS3, but all of the English speaking countries of the world.

He's just saying the in gamerankings, their overall statistics are unreliable, he never said anything about it being biased against PS3. Although in truth the Xbox is most popular in Britain and America but this has very little to do with game reviews

Nah, the thing is he just doesn't know anything about "Scientific Approaches" or statistics.  For example. 

I was part of a consumer psychology group conducting a research product on globally who uses the interent to research and purcahse products.

Did we go to EVERY country in the world?  No.  We used Data from the US, Aursralia, Russia and I want to say... India.  Was our study unscientific?  No.  It's was perfectly acceptable as far as standards go.  Why didn't we go to Spain, Africa, mexico, japan etc? 

1. Limited Resources

You can if you have a broad enough number of different sources (The many many different Magazine) assume that a lot of factors are going to be similar around the world.

Furthermore it would be irresponsible to compare include japanese numbers with English numbers.  With the above study we isolated each culture and then extracted similiarties among many different cultures, we didn't mash it all together and make decisions about that.  If you want to argue anything about the numbers you should argue the UK reviews should be taken out and put on a seperate site.

Exactly ,and videogame users ,even the readers of these forums ,are from all around the world .Why should the gamerankings score ,based solely on anglosaxon mags and websites ,be respected by everybody here ? .Its probable that it doesnt even take into account some people likings .Just food for thought ,dont try to impose the gamerankings argument as there are so many people here from all over the world .

Diomedes1976 said:
Kasz216 said:
Munkeh said:
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:

1. Limited Resources

Exactly ,and videogame users ,even the readers of these forums ,are from all around the world .Why should the gamerankings score ,based solely on anglosaxon mags and websites ,be respected by everybody here ? .Its probable that it doesnt even take into account some people likings .Just food for thought ,dont try to impose the gamerankings argument as there are so many people here from all over the world .

Because we are comparing the bias of an American Game Review Magazine.  To decide the bias of an American Review Magazine you need to have to have a huge database of like Magazines (AKA American and UK review magazines.)

Which Gamerankings actually is.

Also since Gamerankings is such a database.  It's averages are more accurate and Bias free then any one "Anglo Saxson" magazine. 

Therefore to say Gamerankins is bias, or wrong, your basically saying all Anglosaxson magazines are bias or wrong. 

Which if that's your point.  Go make a Spanish version of Gamerankings so you can have a Spanish website that will have the same level of credibility.

To have it all on the same site and have all the numbers total up into the same score would be irresponsible.

Hmmm, well some really just miss the thing about games trying to be fun. You know, what games are supposed to be.

I don't hear anyone complaining about how the battle system in Zelda hasn't changed since Ocarina of Time (console versions).

Don't fix what isn't broken.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@ ssj12

I only trust IGN with reviews and have since the SNES days.

I like IGN as well, but I wonder why they so miserably messed up with a fun cheap little game like Super Ruba Dub. We had a lot of fun with that game, it's not garbage at all. For its price it's at least a 7 if you like the gerne like my girlfriend loved it.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales