By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Group: PS3 selling Faster then 360 in USA

On a side note, is Wii really supply constrained in the same way if it is selling over 80,000 per week? That is more than the other two non-supply constrained consoles after all. Obviously price factors in, but I think most see 360 as a good value in the USA even if it is too expensive at the moment.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

The PS3 is actually outselling the 360 when combining the US and Japanese numbers. And now that the system is out in Euproe it will begin to outsell the 360 by even more. The majority of this year will probably go down like this: PS3 360 Country 100k 10k Japan 200k 250k USA 225k 150k Europe This is the kid of average monthly sales I think we will see from march to september of this year. At that rate the PS3 would close the gap by 1,000,000 units by end of september. After that the holiday sales from oct. to dec. the PS3 could easly gain bvack 2milliion sales world wide in that time span alone with heavy hitters Heavenly Swoard, Singstar, and Killzone in Europe. In Japan MGS4 will be enoughf to bring in a lot of units, probably 1 million more than 360 in this country alone. The US will see Killzone, MGS4, Heavenly Swoard, Ratchet and Clack, Uncharted, and the GT5 prolodge with only Halo in their way.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Yojimbo said: Like I said before. The xbox360 was alone with market with ps2. PS3 with 600$ price tag and with second generation 360 titles and fighting with 250$ gaming device is selling better then 360 did.
Yeah, but the supply constraint factor acts to cancel that out. 360 couldn't possibly have sold better than it did since the systems literally were not there.

KGB29 - if your going to base everything on games, than don't ignore all the games but Sony's. the 360 has some big games coming down the pipe too. 2007 will see games like Mass Effect, Forza 2, Too Human (maybe), Bio shock, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddesy and Allan Wake (maybe) to name a few. There are lots of big system seller titles on each console. Infact just about every console ever made has had awsome games on it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

more units sold in europe than in the US? you're not european, are you? i'll tell you: thats impossible. taking your numbers, if US monthly will be 200k than europe will be like 150k, not more. and thats a good approximation.

Around the Network

KBG29 said: The PS3 is actually outselling the 360 when combining the US and Japanese numbers. And now that the system is out in Euproe it will begin to outsell the 360 by even more. The majority of this year will probably go down like this: PS3 360 Country 100k 10k Japan 200k 250k USA 225k 150k Europe This is the kid of average monthly sales I think we will see from march to september of this year. At that rate the PS3 would close the gap by 1,000,000 units by end of september. After that the holiday sales from oct. to dec. the PS3 could easly gain bvack 2milliion sales world wide in that time span alone with heavy hitters Heavenly Swoard, Singstar, and Killzone in Europe. In Japan MGS4 will be enoughf to bring in a lot of units, probably 1 million more than 360 in this country alone. The US will see Killzone, MGS4, Heavenly Swoard, Ratchet and Clack, Uncharted, and the GT5 prolodge with only Halo in their way.
The NA numbers and Europe numbers bug me.. In February NA - the 360 sold 250K, PS3 sold 135K... I understand, it's only 1 month (yet it's the first month where PS3 was readily available and can be used as a good measuring stick). But I don't see why you would estimate the 360 numbers to remain the same, but the PS3 numbers to increase by 65%. Europe - I don't know where you get those numbers, well I don't know where anyone gets those numbers (including VGcharts). So I'll leave it at that. I also think your wrong when saying that only Halo 3 is coming out to combat the PS3 exclusives. The 360 is coming out with an exclusive every month May - Forza 2 June - Shadowrun July - Mass Effect August - Blue Dragon September - Halo 3 October - Grand Theft Auto 4 --- not an exclusive but this worth mentioning November - Project Gotham Racing 4 December - Lost Odyssey Oh and Eternal Sonata is coming out somewhere in there. edit: this symbol > pointing the other way hides everything typed after... kind of annoying

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

It is pretty much supply constrained. Just look at the graph: http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=PS3&name2=X360&type=0&align=0 The big blue spike in December is where Sony shipped more PS3s than MS had shipped 360s. Both were impossible to find during that time period. According to vgcharts, the 360 sold 1,117,000 units in its 4 months. The PS3 sold 1,160,500 in its first 4 months. The difference between those two figures is 43,500 units. In order for Sony to maintain its "lead", if you want to call it that, they have to move 170,250 units in March. They moved significantly less than that number in February.