By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto : 1st Zelda game got HEAVY OPPOSITION from Ninty!

First Zelda game received heavy opposition from Nintendo

October 25th, 2009 Posted in General Nintendo, News, Written by Valay

Although The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo’s most successful and beloved franchises, everyone wasn’t always on board with its main concept. At the Digital Contents Expo, Shigeru Miyamoto spoke about the series in his keynote and stated that initially, the first game received tremendous opposition because there was a belief that no one would know where to travel in the game’s open world. In other words, the amount of freedom in Zelda was questioned. There are so many options and paths available to the gamer, causing concern that players wouldn’t know what to do next.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=26501

I never knew this

I can understand why......but weren't games like Dragon Quest already out? they were kind of open world?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Nintendo: Against Zelda but not Wii Music

ARHHHHH

That would mean I would not be playing games right now (well not as much).
Cause I wouldn't have asked for a NES for christmass and sunk about 1000 hours exploring and replaying the games over and over again ^^.... I'd probably would have spent more time playing soccer outside and become a soccer star... and earn millions and .... Damn you Shigeru!!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
ARHHHHH

Cause I wouldn't have asked for a NES for christmass and sunk about 1000 hours exploring and replaying the games over and over again ^^.... I'd probably would have spent more time playing soccer outside and become a soccer star... and earn millions and .... Damn you Shigeru!!

The smart thing would have been to draw a map of over and underworld, which would have given you plenty of time to master football

Let's all say thanks that he pulled it through, eh?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Hephaestos said:
ARHHHHH

The smart thing would have been to draw a map of over and underworld, which would have given you plenty of time to master football

I know of the second play through in Zelda, but not of the underworld.... Damn! need to replay that thing again!!

(can someone phone my boss to tell him i'm on sick leave for the next 2 years?)

sure just post his number here...we'll make sure he doesn't bother you again.

*opens tab to 4chan*

the underworld IS the second playthrough.

Aha!

Then yeah I did have a map come with the game and I put Xs on it for the levels of the second play through =) At the time I spoke english as a 6 year old frenchmen does so.... Actually I learned the word Leaf playing Link's awakening ^^ yay for video games =)

Wew... almost thought I had to quit my job there!

puffy said:
Nintendo: Against Zelda but not Wii Music

Ha-ha, very true.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

well , games used to have no "missions" back then, you just find your way through by just moving around the map.