By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tales of Vesperia (NA version) is coming soon.....

You mean the same RE version that bombed in Japan? We are still talking about Japan right?

If you actually think Namco cares about their American tales fanbase, I won't be able to take you seriously.

ToS2 had three times the install base, almost zero RPGs on the system, and the popular Symphonia title to go off of. Am I supposed to be impressed considering the Japanese hate the 360 so much that they will bank off the possibility of a port rather than buy the game?

Monster Hunter is an incredibly popular series. You could put it on any system available and it would sell like gangbusters.

Around the Network

ToS2 is also a low-budget spin-off. And the sequel thing goes both ways you know, maybe there are people that DON'T want to buy/play it because IT IS actualy a sequel to a game they might have never played.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Considering you have three third party games that stood a chance on the Wii.

If they add even more content, the fans would probably rebel. Remember the Japan petition? Think that times 5. They already got suckered into paying for the same game twice. Three times? It would get ugly. Would Japan do it? Probably, considering they seem to have enough money to drop 30 bucks for a set of title costumes.

If Namco is trying to push Tales in the West, they are doing a terrible job. No marketing, no advertisements, about 6 or 7 tales games never released to the west and counting, and pretty much little communication with the American Namco site. What are they working on instead? A Wii cooking and dance game, and Clash of the Titans. Break out the party hats. Tekken 6 seems to not be living up to expectations, either.

And the PS3 and 360 fanbase is untested in those regards. But considering that many PSP owners have a PS3 or a 360, I wouldn't doubt it. And considering those two bases are more oriented around gamers rather than casual gamers, I would like to see it actually have a shot.

Son1x said:
ToS2 is also a low-budget spin-off. And the sequel thing goes both ways you know, maybe there are people that DON'T want to buy/play it because IT IS actualy a sequel to a game they might have never played.

You obviously never met a Symphonia fanboy. It's like the FF7 of the Tales series here. 1.10 million sales is a rough estimate, but you get the idea.

Because they hate the 360. They love the PS3. They were just pissed that they were tricked into buying a 360 and then had to go take it back.

Nothing like this ever happened in the Tales series before.

Around the Network

Oh and also, since everyone keeps saying Symphonia is THE biggest Tales in Japan.

Tales of Symphonia sold ~800k on both platforms (a little less than 500k PS2, a little over 300k GC).

Now we have:
-Tales of Destiny: 1.14m on PS1; Also released in US, but I doubt more than 200k come from there.
-Tales of Destiny 2: 0.98m on PS2, 0.13m on PSP. 1.11m combined.
-Tales of Eternia: 0.87m on PS1 and 0.40m on PSP; 1.27m combined. Both version were released in US (PS1) and/or EU (PSP) but once again, neither sold good in US/EU.
-Tales of Phantasia: 0.21m on SNES, 0.77m on PS1, 0.14m on PSP. 1.12m with all platforms combined.

So its actualy 5th best selling main title. Out of 11. Rebirth is also pretty close with ~0.70m and Abyss with ~0.65m. Legendia and DS ones did crappy and Vesperia is at ~0.55m right now.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

No one really cared about that one, considering it was incredibly small upgrades and ported to another, much more popular console.

No, it didn't measure up to the "Let's cut out a third of the game and then sell it to the target audience on a console that they hate, then making the loyal fanbase double dip to get the real game". It's two completely different levels.

But yes, should be interesting how Namco reacts.

Son1x said:
Oh and also, since everyone keeps saying Symphonia is THE biggest Tales in Japan.

Tales of Symphonia sold ~800k on both platforms (a little less than 500k PS2, a little over 300k GC).

Now we have:
-Tales of Destiny: 1.14m on PS1; Also released in US, but I doubt more than 200k come from there.
-Tales of Destiny 2: 0.98m on PS2, 0.13m on PSP. 1.11m combined.
-Tales of Eternia: 0.87m on PS1 and 0.40m on PSP; 1.27m combined. Both version were released in US (PS1) and/or EU (PSP) but once again, neither sold good in US/EU.
-Tales of Phantasia: 0.21m on SNES, 0.77m on PS1, 0.14m on PSP. 1.12m with all platforms combined.

So its actualy 5th best selling main title. Out of 11. Rebirth is also pretty close with ~0.70m and Abyss with ~0.65m. Legendia and DS ones did crappy and Vesperia is at ~0.55m right now.

Sold more than that from what I heard. But yes, overall it's not up there.

But in America....

Well didn't you say Namco doesn't care about US/EU? (Which is true)

And I'm quoting you on this: " We are still talking about Japan right? "
Well I was.

And I'm not trying to argue.
Its just that everyone seems to think Symphonia is the biggest Tales in Japan by far just because it is in US/Eu, and I wanted to correct then.