By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I the only one disappointed in Uncharted 2's 800k?

bored but probably slightly entertained!

Around the Network

You guys think GTA and Call of Duty were always huge? They weren't. It took Rockstar and Infinity Ward a few tries before they got a breakout success. Now they're two of the biggest franchise in gaming.

With any luck, Uncharted 2 will be the GTA III/Call of Duty 4 of the Uncharted franchise (probably on a smaller scale) and the next game will have a huge week one. You can't expect those numbers coming after a modest success like the first Uncharted, though.

Finally! Someone else seems to be as disappointed as I am about the sales! Yeah, I've been mad even before the game came out, seeing the pre-order sales fail to rise nearly as high as I expected, esp after seeing odst get 2.2 mill first week and being a complete rip-off (not just my opinion, been said many times, even by fans of the franchise...). Making it seem a little better, though, PS3 has ~7 million less units out on the market than 360, which is a little less than a 1/3 of PS3 units. So U2 woulda theoretically sold around 1,100,000 first week. Oh, and also, American sales only had 5 days recorded, not a week; and the "Japan" and "Other" categories I think only had 2 days of sales recorded. For Uncharted 1, the "Other" section held like 1.5x more sales than America. So honestly, I think U2 should've had at least 1 mill sales if all regions would have been recorded for a full 7 days.

Annnnnnyways, bottom line, PS3 owners have to start being more dedicated to their exclusive franchises. U2 deserves amazing sales more than any other game out there. Naughty Dog is king...

pitzy272 said:
Finally! Someone else seems to be as disappointed as I am about the sales! Yeah, I've been mad even before the game came out, seeing the pre-order sales fail to rise nearly as high as I expected, esp after seeing odst get 2.2 mill first week and being a complete rip-off (not just my opinion, been said many times, even by fans of the franchise...). Making it seem a little better, though, PS3 has ~7 million less units out on the market than 360, which is a little less than a 1/3 of PS3 units. So U2 woulda theoretically sold around 1,100,000 first week. Oh, and also, American sales only had 5 days recorded, not a week; and the "Japan" and "Other" categories I think only had 2 days of sales recorded. For Uncharted 1, the "Other" section held like 1.5x more sales than America. So honestly, I think U2 should've had at least 1 mill sales if all regions would have been recorded for a full 7 days.

Annnnnnyways, bottom line, PS3 owners have to start being more dedicated to their exclusive franchises. U2 deserves amazing sales more than any other game out there. Naughty Dog is king...

Arent all if not most games released on the same date in respective regions.

When we discuss first week here its general in the terms all games are released by. Its not like uncharted is the first game released on these dates in the regions.

First week is first week for all games.

And even if the PS3 had 7 million more consoles, as UC to UC2 grew 6 times yet the base didnt grow 6 times. Its not a straight ratio in terms of install base which is why claiming games should sell better or worse due to their respective install base is also not true, look at FFX and FFXII, games dont grow in unison because people buy consoles for different reasons over time.

All in all, UC2 sales are remarkable considering what the first UC did and UC was released in the middle of the holiday period so we should only see even more impressive sales from UC2.

I really dont understand how people are disappointed with UC2 sales when we compare it to UC and the dates in which they were released.

now it will hit 1 million within 2 weeks of sales - big deal..

Around the Network

I totally agree. It deserves MUCH better sales. It should sell more than Halo ODST in terms of quality(But of course it won't).

I was bit disappointed too (especially with the low online numbers), but then i thought about a couple of things:

1. There werent many pre-orders, unlike mw2 or odst.. so i think it will continue strongly and not just die off like odst has.
2. Fifa 10 has just released in europe and that game is HUGE for them, i think it sold like 800k in europe or something. So i think this would have hurt it's sales in europe.
3. This game is friggin awesome and as more word of mouth spreads more people will be buying it.

In the long run i think this game is really going to help the credibilty of the PS3 as a great games console.

ioi said:

Wow at this thread! A lot of people seem to be missing the point.

While reviews have been extremely strong for Uncharted 2 (and it is a truly stunning game), I think most would agree that the sales are more solid than spectacular - i.e the sales for the game compared to the reviews are a little disappointing.

What most need to understand is that this is a pretty common thing - games that sell extremely well are games that have the general appeal and resonate with an audience, not necessarily games that are considered to be extremely good. A number of amazing games have sold disappointingly IMO this gen - Super Mario Galaxy (still the highest rated game of the gen so far), Twilight Princess, Bioshock, LittleBigPlanet - all sold reasonably well but disappointing compared to expectations (based on previous games, similar games, review scores etc).

Also for those comparing to Uncharted - a sequel to a great original will always sell really well in the first week in comparison - don't expect it to have the same kind of legs though. Even if 2 hadn't been as good as 1 it would still have been expected to sell 5 times as much in the first week, if not more.

Thank you ioi, you understand completely what I was trying to say throughout the thread. The sales of UC2 are good, but nothing amazing. Many great games never see the sales they should see and people need to recognize that there is nothing anyone can do about it. The Sony fans are really just trying to make themselves feel better I suppose, but if I was them I would not be happy with the sales. Unless the sales are off the charts I don't think anyone should be happy on any game. The more the good games sell the more those companies can continue to create quality titles. However, if great games don't sell enough then those companies go out of busy or have to scale back their development. I just believe that a game that is touted as the biggest PS3 exclusive of the year should have sold more than just 830k week one. I don't think anyone could have expected 2 million, but I think 1.2-1.3 should not have been out of the question. I think one of the main problems with PS3 and software sales is the fact that there is always going to be at least a small part of the install base that uses the system for media and movies more than for games...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

nothing to be disappointed about

but I WILL say, its legs HAVE to be there to get to the 3 - 4 million predictions people are throwing around

LEGS will be LESS than Uncharted 1's

I am still confident & proud of my 2.5 Million LTD prediction

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
nothing to be disappointed about

but I WILL say, its legs HAVE to be there to get to the 3 - 4 million predictions people are throwing around

LEGS will be LESS than Uncharted 1's

I am still confident & proud of my 2.5 Million LTD prediction

For once I actually agree with Darth on something, 2.5m LTD. Competing against so many great games over the next 6 months is going to keep the legs in check...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"