By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 winning next gen console race? so far? guess its how you look at it

Vienna, So you're just lucky, I see... ...And you don't play games on your PC yet you put out this big arguement that if you want to play a good looking game you have a PC for it. That's... weird. Cause it's like your saying "I don't want good looking games, I prefer games that have a poor lasting appeal and play them with my Wiimote". That's hardly next-gen... Buying a regular TV is the stupidest thing you can do ATM. If you buy a HD one (Not necessarily 46 inch..) you're at least opening up the possibility to ever own a PS3 and play games like you SHOULD play them. Or even get a 360 (Though not entirely HD). It's not like if you buy a HD tv you won't be able to play your Wii on it... ("Play your Wii on it" suddenly sounds so dirty.. lol) Oh and I want to remind everyone that I don't aim to change anyone's opinion of anything. I just like shooting them down with facts.. I enjoy it! lol Edit: RollStoppable, The Wiimote is comparable with the Eyetoy indeed.. for the sole reason that they are a fad. People bought the Eyetoy, played with it, loved it, and forgot about it after 3 months of playing it. The same will happen with the Wiimote, people will be fed up from aiming at the screen moving their hands all around unless they have some good looking games. Basically it goes down like this: A guy plays Wiisports. 20 minutes in "This is fun!" 1 hour in "My hand hurts" 2 hours in the frustration begins "Stupid ball I wanted you to go there!! Not there! THERE!! AHHH!!", tears his hair and throws his nunchuk on the TV. Only the true fans will keep playing it but even they won't be able to endure the boredom that comes after 3 hours of the life-like bowling, arm killing boxing and whatever else you got on there. In fact, when you think about it, every game will have this effect after a few hours in... I can't wait to know how SSB:B will play out on the Wii.. isn't it a fighting game??

Planning on getting a PS3 sometime in July-August.

Around the Network

Soulxxx said: So you're just lucky, I see... ...And you don't play games on your PC yet you put out this big arguement that if you want to play a good looking game you have a PC for it. That's... weird. Cause it's like your saying "I don't want good looking games, I prefer games that have a poor lasting appeal and play them with my Wiimote". That's hardly next-gen... Buying a regular TV is the stupidest thing you can do ATM. If you buy a HD one (Not necessarily 46 inch..) you're at least opening up the possibility to ever own a PS3 and play games like you SHOULD play them. Or even get a 360 (Though not entirely HD). It's not like if you buy a HD tv you won't be able to play your Wii on it... ("Play your Wii on it" suddenly sounds so dirty.. lol) Oh and I want to remind everyone that I don't aim to change anyone's opinion of anything. I just like shooting them down with facts.. I enjoy it! lol
in some points you are right - i can play on my computer but i don't ... yes. you see that i don't need perfect graphics to play and if i need them i switch on the computer. i posted some weeks ago that my girlfriend is very angry when iam playing alone and iam happy that she likes the wii now and i can play something she accepts :) hd is nice but i don't need it - i buy a big tv for 200 euro and iam satisfied :) i wrote it that is my personal opinion and it is ok that you are happy with your ps3 as much iam happy with my wii.

HD is not only for games you know...

Soulxxx said:Next-gen - a far more realistic way of playing games.
It is very interesting to hear a Wii detractor say this. I think this would be the exact argument many Wii fans would make in asserting that Wii is next-gen. I think you may have meant to say more realistic graphics, because surely you aren't arguing that pushing buttons is more realistic than pushing buttons has been in the past in terms of gameplay...and you probably aren't arguing that PS3 games have been any more "realistic" in categories other than graphical prowess. By your logic: next-gen = Wii pseudo next-gen = PS3 (considering Sixaxis, upcoming EyeToy) even less next-gen = Xbox 360 (Xbox Vision I guess?)
Soulxxx said:The Wiimote will not be able to pull this stunt alone so, sorry but the outdated graphics and lack of power will never meet this demand. PLUS, I read some guy in the forum saying that Nintendo were aiming for non-gamers with the Wii... So here's another reason for ya why it's not Next-gen.
This argument makes no sense, especially considering what you wrote above about gameplay.
Soulxxx said:And I don't need to look at charts to test my logic.. My logic is based on math. If the PS3 sells more than it's Mainstream-games counterpart every month, eventually, it'll win. When you accumulate it, it's gonna top it.
If you are talking U.S., since PS3 is definitely not outselling 360 (not to mention PSP, Wii, DS or...PS2) that is certainly not the case. However, worldwide it may be the case for 360. However, if we are to also involve Wii, that argument obviously falls flat.
Soulxxx said:Now, what's your definition of Next-gen?
Glad you asked. I would use a more time-oriented definition, which concludes in this case that Wii, X360 and PS3 are all "next-gen."

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Soulxxx, my PC Oblivion blows yours (PS3) out of the water, and I have a modest PC (AMDX2 3800, ATI X1600XT 256mb), I play it @ 1280x1024 on my 19" LCD that I got for free to boot. :) HDTV's are nice, but at least around here they're still hella expensive, going into the store offers a decent 32" SDTV for $249, a 27" HDTV for $469, or a 32" HDTV for about $700. I'll be sticking with my 27" SDTV for many years at this rate. :) I'm technically a "hardcore" gamer, but I don't have massive amounts of money to spend on just games and things to make them look better. I want a console with fun games, and if more people can play on it, even better. Since it's launch I've managed to get my own Grandmother into Wii Sports Bowling, and she enjoys it. My mother has always been a casual gamer, but she loves Wii Sports as well as Cooking Mama, which we just rented yesterday (and I think it's quite fun as well), and she looks forward to Super Paper Mario as well, we'll be splitting the bill, launch day, on that puppy. :) The $250 I spend on getting a Wii on launch day has not been regretted at all, and it is by far the most I've ever spent on a "game console". I've never spent more than $200 on a playstation console, and I have no reason to change my habit thus far. Especially if Nintendo gains control in Japan, I may not even HAVE a reason to get a PS3. :) I'm putting aside money for a DS Lite as we speak. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I would not say that Sony is winning. However, I would not claim that launch sales are all that significant either. The top 5 launches in the industry were N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, and Wii. The path those different systems took from there has been quite varied, and you'll notice the distinct lack of the two best selling systems ever. 360's year headstart is far more important than whether it performed well at launch or not. In Europe, Sony doesn't even have any competition. We'll see if Nintendo or Microsoft can kick it up a notch, but Nintendo's best performance ever there was 8 million units, while PS2 is at 45 million. Sony was the first to pay serious attention to "other" territories, and it paid huge dividends. God of War 2 does have the potential to cause a distraction for the PS3, but the improved brand for GOW3 will help PS3 longer term. The God of War franchise has the potential to be the next Gran Turismo.

Soulxxx said: If you buy a HD one (Not necessarily 46 inch..) you're at least opening up the possibility to ever own a PS3 and play games like you SHOULD play them.
Oh my God do you read what you write??? So a box game should be played but just pressing the X Button 1 million times and not by doing the real box movements? Or the tennis, who likes swinging the Wiimote like playing real tennis when you can have the exciting movement of pressing the O button!! Well, the same can be applied to shooters... who wants to aim exactly where he wants on the screen when he/she can use the ultra-precise and fun to use analog stick??? PS: At least be a little real...

vanguardian1 The PC version beating the PS3 version? I dunno.. I take it you're a PC gamer that bought a Wii for fun games. Understandable. But while you be buying new parts for your PC, I'm gonna enjoy my PS3 games that will ALWAYS run smoothly... elprincipe, A) I'm no Wii detractor. I don't detract it, I say what it is. It's not like I said "The Wii won't supply the fun you want!" I'm saying it won't give you enough of it to keep you going for 2 years. B) Sorry, but I don't think waving your arms around is a more realistic way of playing games then good graphics. It may be so for the first 3 hours of every game for 2 years, but in no way it beats better visuals in terms of realism. If the Wii had better graphics, I might call it a winner... but it doesn't so the Wiimote is pretty much useless in it's ultimate goal - make gameplay more fun than other consoles. I gotta go.. It's been fun talking to ya (despite what you probably think of me now) and I think I need to quit now before I lure in some potential killers... lol

Soulxxx said: RollStoppable, The Wiimote is comparable with the Eyetoy indeed.. for the sole reason that they are a fad. People bought the Eyetoy, played with it, loved it, and forgot about it after 3 months of playing it. The same will happen with the Wiimote, people will be fed up from aiming at the screen moving their hands all around unless they have some good looking games. Basically it goes down like this: A guy plays Wiisports. 20 minutes in "This is fun!" 1 hour in "My hand hurts" 2 hours in the frustration begins "Stupid ball I wanted you to go there!! Not there! THERE!! AHHH!!", tears his hair and throws his nunchuk on the TV. Only the true fans will keep playing it but even they won't be able to endure the boredom that comes after 3 hours of the life-like bowling, arm killing boxing and whatever else you got on there. In fact, when you think about it, every game will have this effect after a few hours in... I can't wait to know how SSB:B will play out on the Wii.. isn't it a fighting game??
Too bad the Wii has been out for 4 months and hasn't stopped selling like crazy. Plus, I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to use the same playing style for a very long time. People adapt to a game; they get better at it, learn how to win. Your insight is showing that people will use the same exact strategy over and over again, therefore causing frustration. Also, you're saying that actually playing a sport is more boring than pressing a button. Looks to me like you're supporting the Wii owners. And by the way, SSBB uses the Gamecube/Classic controller. To use the accelerometers and pointer in that game would be the dumbest thing to do, mainly because of gesture lag and other problems that people will create.

Soulxxx, how old are you ? you are young dont' you ? There 2 things that i have noticed about your posts : 1) You keep saying you focus on "facts" but fail to see how your reasonnings are subjective ... 2) You often talk about things you don't know or have not tested. In disorder : - Comparing console version of Oblivion to the PC's one ... What can i say ? My two current displays are a 22'' LCD monitor and a 720p videoprojector. On both, there is a world between Xbox360's version and PC one. Before you mention that PS3 version is superior to Xbox360's, i saw 720p in game video from it, and it is definitely in the same range than Xbox360, even if superior. - Upon Wiimote to eyetoy comparison : you cannot compare a pad that comes within the box to an "accessory" sold outside if you want to look at the support of the developers. What pushes this support is install basis, not anything else. - About Wiisport : my wife, son ,and I have enjoyed to date more than 50 hours of play just on tennis. To date, we have stopped just because we get bored and await for a real tennis gameplay. Look how Virtua tennis 3 bombed in Japan ... With all its super graphics, shading and high resolution, the public have choosen, don't you think ? Note that i don't this logic can be applied to all "genres" ... - About Next-gen : your definition of "next-gen" is funny. - I don't say PS3 won't be worth buying a day, but today, this is not my choice. If you factorise the cost of the display, this is a no brainer. Let me list : + BR content : are the 100 dics actually sold enough to spend 600€ + Games : no AAA title in sight + Cost of 720p or 1080p display today + BR Drive : by end of year, this drive will be called "super low level BR Drive". Look what happened to PS2 DVD Drive ...