By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Molyneux picks his TOP 5 most INNOVATIVE games (Do you agree)?!

I always thought Ultima Online was considered more innovative for the MMORPG genre than Everquest or World of Warcraft.

Around the Network

I agree with Wow, Halo, and SM64.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

How is halo innovative?

mM

Innovative games...

1..Space Invaders
2..Maniac Mansion
3..Little Computer People
4..The Eidolon
5..Mario Bros 3
6..Mario 64
7..Goldeneye
8..Wii Sports
9..Dune 2
10.Ultima maybe Elite the 8 bit trading game

I'm surprised what people consider Innovative nowadays

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

There is a lot of games that innovate the industri at their own time.
I would add Wii Sports and, of course!, the first The Legend of Zelda!

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network
leo-j said:
How is halo innovative?

GamePro
"At first glance little more than a gorgeous console shooter, Halo's innovation lie curled within its scores of subtle gameplay refinements. By making the player's health meter recharge, Halo eliminated the need for frustrating health pickups (though they appeared in an almost vestigial fashion in the first game). This recharging health meter has since appeared in hundreds of games and is the current model for nearly all action games. Other trend-setting developments included limiting players to carrying two weapons at a time, a design choice that highlighted strategy and realism, and putting a key focus on vehicular combat -- an unusual but defining choice for a first-person shooter."

goldeneye did fps on consoles before halo.

I aint reading all that text just to see what he thinks is good lol

The should have just been listed

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

okr said:
I always thought Ultima Online was considered more innovative for the MMORPG genre than Everquest or World of Warcraft.

It should be, as it essentially created the MMORPG genre.  However, most people didn't start playing MMORPGs with that game.  They started with games such as Ragnarok, Everquest, SWG or just recently with WoW.

That's kind of why Molyneux's comments are somewhat dumb.  None of the games he mentioned are the originators of their genre.  It really shows that he thinks 'innovation' is more of a visual medium and changing peoples 'perception' of games.  Not so much what games actually changed gameplay or started genres as a whole.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Dune 2 is the first RTS Game and whats with Mario 64 the first Platformer.

And maybe its not about who was the first but who had most influence on the market. The other games can be discussed but those two are definetly milestones and changed videogames. And they deserve to be on the list.