By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Molyneux picks his TOP 5 most INNOVATIVE games (Do you agree)?!

Molyneux picks his top 5 most innovative games
BY Lee Bradley Oct. 22nd, 2009 More on:Peter Molyneux

Speaking at BAFTA’s Annual Video Games Lecture last night, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux revealed what he believes to be the 5 most revolutionary games from the past 20 years.

In a typically passionate and engaging presentation, Molyneux spoke of the need for designers to defy perceived wisdom and custom, saying, “The best innovations come from challenging the foundation stones of conventional wisdom.” The 5 games selected by Molyneux were specifically chosen for their success in doing just that.

The first title Molyneux highlighted for discussion was Dune 2, an early RTS. Molyneux said Dune 2 took gaming away from twitch-based reactions and instead encouraged a slower, more cerebral approach. Furthermore, alongside its innovative multiplayer, Dune 2 could be played in a variety of ways. Terms to describe these differing play styles, such as ‘turtle’ (where the player is overwhelmingly defensive), are still used in gaming to this day. According to the man himself, Molyneux is a turtle.

Next up for discussion was Mario 64. Hailing designer Shigeru Miyamoto as a “true genius of the industry,” Molyneux rightly praised the game for moving the platform genre convincingly into 3D, despite perceived wisdom that it couldn’t work. Furthermore, Molyneux pointed to Mario 64 as the true precursor to the likes of GTA IV as it heralded the arrival of the free roaming around an open environment.

Apparently, there was one main reason Molyneux selected the next game. Well two. The game was Tomb Raider and the reason was boobs. After cheekily alluding to teenage boys’ bedroom habits, Molyneux praised Eidos for challenging the notion that a hero had to be a massively-muscled man. In creating Lara Croft, Eidos created an enduring character that subverted convention and in doing so created an icon.

Halo was the next choice, for bringing FPS’ to consoles, introducing regenerative health and solving the tricky issue of multiple weapon swapping by limiting the player to 2 guns at a time.

The list was rounded out by World of Warcraft. Molyneux looked to WoW’s “carrot dangling” mechanic as its most innovative feature. Reflecting on his time with the game, he remembered how the promise of a steed drove him on to play up to level 40. This was in direct opposition to traditional videogame design which dictated that the player should have access to everything the game had to offer almost immediately, in case they became bored.

The common characteristic shared by these games is that each revolution opened up the medium to a wider audience. This has been a concern of Molyneux’s for some time now and at the centre of it all is one statistic. Fable 2, Molyneux’s latest game, sold 4 million copies — exactly the same as his first game Populous. He sees this as a failure that only constant innovation and creative thinking can overcome. Something he is clearly hoping to achieve with Milo and Natal.

+___________________

Basically:

Dune 2, Super Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Halo & World of Warcraft

Do you agree with the list?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

warcraft 3 > Dune 2 imo

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It's his opinion. I have my own.

I would add maybe Wii Sports

dEFINETELY either Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Quest 1

you cannot deny those two games shaped an entire genre

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

i disagree with his list except for Dune II (I'm a turtle too lol). I can't come up with a better list at the moment though.

Also, maybe he is misinterpreted but he seems to mix up 'innovation' with 'influential'. (to his defense, there's the word 'most revolutionary' inside the article too)

Like WoW and Halo aren't innovative at all, but they were extremely influential.

Around the Network

I can understand all the games he chose and why he chose them but I would add Elder Scrolls: Arena as it was the first open world game (1994) and was the first game to have a Day-Night cycle. Also, surely Wolfenstein 3D should be up there as it invented the FPS genre.

I like his logic behind these choices, but I don't agree with the games he picked. I'd go SimCity for being slower and more cerebral and having several ways to play, Mario 64 I'd keep, Metroid for wearing a bikini and being a babe, GoldenEye for bringing FPS to consoles right, Everquest for being Evercrack before WoW existed.

But I'd probably just make a list like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Doom, DDR, Wii Sports.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I like his logic behind these choices, but I don't agree with the games he picked. I'd go SimCity for being slower and more cerebral and having several ways to play, Mario 64 I'd keep, Metroid for wearing a bikini and being a babe, GoldenEye for bringing FPS to consoles right, Everquest for being Evercrack before WoW existed.

But I'd probably just make a list like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Doom, DDR, Wii Sports.

I pretty much agree with everything you poested here, outside of the last sentence anyway.

Really? WoW? What about EQ????
Crash was a 3D platformer (although half the levels were more 2D)...
Like Slime said, Lara was influential, but she wasn't the first major lady character (Samus, for eg)
Really? Halo?

I'll give Dune II.

This is a shit list.

Akvod said:
Really? WoW? What about EQ????
Crash was a 3D platformer (although half the levels were more 2D)...
Like Slime said, Lara was influential, but she wasn't the first major lady character (Samus, for eg)
Really? Halo?

I'll give Dune II.

This is a shit list.

Crash also kinda sucked.

Mario 64 was like the original Mario Brothers in that opon release it became the gold standard of platformers that everyone else tried to rip off.