By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will NA and Europe will have the same fate as Japam?

invetedlotus123 said:
SuperAdrianK said:
invetedlotus123 said:
I think that gaming market is going to have a look for new markets after all this. Japanese sales are TERRIBLE and only big name games and some surprise sleepers get good sales, overall sales are just terrible. Wii expanded the gaming market in a demographic way, now it's time to expand it in a Geographic way.

China is already the biggest market for MMO's and with time it will have a huge share of PC gaming market, I doubt consoles could have much sucess there,though.

Latin America is already becoming considerable, Brazil alone moved 500million dollars from PC and Console gaming last year, pretty good considering it used to be just 80 million 10 years ago. And projections shows that with the right investments Brazil alone could move 3 billion dollars yearly in the next 15 years

And there are many other countries with great growth in their gaming markets, India, Russia, Eastern Europe, The Asian Tigers and etc. And all of them have big population, like China, if just 10% of the population(just guessing) can afford gaming, it's already 130 million potential costumers!

I think the new gaming regions will be something like America(including both, Latin America and US and Canada), Europe(including Eastern Europe and Russia), Asia(maybe already including Japan this time) and Others(Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Middle East and Etc.) in the next 20 years.

This is really hard imo, not only will the specific consumer will have to like it, but every other specific consumers will have to like it to... though this would work if every big shot gaming company or develapors are in every reigon and could make big games then it could work :/

Developers don't need to be in the country to have their games released there, it should be pretty costly to open that many of local companies. They just need to look for partners in those countries to at least have their games officially exported to there. Like, in Japan many games from western companies are published by japanese companies, like, 007 was published by S-E, Spike distributed Oblivion, Capcom gta iv and go on. 

It would be pretty good for those countries to develop their games as well, cultural identification is pretty important. Sure those countries would still consuming Japanese, Europeans and americans games, in pretty good amounts. So, it would be the best thing to big publishers come officially, and open local studios for development and adapting for the internal market and publish games from outside. 

Note: Probably low-end games would be done in this kind of country, since the salary is much lower than in developed country...

Edit:Of course all this change wouldn't happen in just one year, it should be a plan involving all companies interested, deals with local governments, constructing factories, and would be complete in just 20 or more years, but they need to start sometime, gaming can't be pratically exclusive of 3 regions forever.

Its not really that impossible, just look at S. Korea then compared today. Now theyre the no. 1 makers of MMORPGs and online games including FPS. So there is potential for china to top the gaming industry. The gaming industry was dying anyway, in few years it could be just like the anime industry. Only relies on established franchise just as like Bleach, Naruto and One Piece the only animes you worth to watch.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

China's population is over 1.3 billion. That's more than 4 times as much as the United States Population. It's pretty sad that their GDP is not #1 in the world already. And China will never become the center for anything that relies on intellectual property. They lack the copyright laws and ability to enforce such laws for it to become so.

@OP It's pretty stupid to look at video game sales month to month. Everybody knows that the video game industry is seasonal. And the summer season is the lowest point for video games every year. So to say that January and february were good months and march was ok, but everything else sucks is retarded. Because they suck every single year. Just wait till this holiday season and come back at the end of december. 

RVDondaPC said:

China's population is over 1.3 billion. That's more than 4 times as much as the United States Population. It's pretty sad that their GDP is not #1 in the world already. And China will never become the center for anything that relies on intellectual property. They lack the copyright laws and ability to enforce such laws for it to become so.

@OP It's pretty stupid to look at video game sales month to month. Everybody knows that the video game industry is seasonal. And the summer season is the lowest point for video games every year. So to say that January and february were good months and march was ok, but everything else sucks is retarded. Because they suck every single year. Just wait till this holiday season and come back at the end of december. 

Thats not the case with Wii Fit, MK Wii and soon to be WSR though...

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:

Its abit far fetched doesnt mean it will not be impossible. As of now, in 2009 alone the console sales on NPD significantly drops by 50 percent. I think there are core gaming implosion will happen if not a video game crash. Thoughts?

I am someone, in my teen years, who saw the videogame crash of the 1980s, so I will comment from what I saw back then.  In that day, videogames were a marginal part of people's lives.  They were there, but not really considered an essential part.  Arcades were still around.  End result was a crash happned, as was there was mass contraction of the industry.  Today, videogames are an essential part of people's lives, so a crash like that isn't likely to happen.  We could see some restructuring, but what happened in the 1980s isn't likely to happen here, as I see it.

yushire said:
haxxiy said:
Eh.... only Wii sales imploded in Japan. PS3 and X360 are up YoY there, I don't get what is your point. Last year the casual console (Wii) outsold the HD twins 2:1, and this year things are even, and core game is imploding? Right...

Really now?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_January_2009

You cant change and deny the fact, gaming in general was in downward slope not only on the Wii. Just remember, PS360 are relying more on third parties for them to stay alive. Month after month many games are knocked out in top 10. RE 5 even with good sales in its first month just done horrible next month

But do you know what? Its OK for 3rd party core developers. WHY? Just as like the hollywood industry as long as the games are blockbuster even the game isnt evergreen they make a revenue. You're just a milking cow to them not only you, but most of core gamers here. They dont care anymore they dont even try.

I will repeat what I said already.

So far  both the PS3 and the 360 have sold more software this year in the US than they did at the same time in 2008. I fail to see how that is a decline.......

Resident Evil 5 has sold more copies than Resident Evil 4 so that not a good example either . Re 5 has done 4.84 Million copies WW on 360 + PS3

Re 4 did 4.7 millions units of GC+PS2...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

The shrinking Japanese market is the result of many factors, not only recession. Japan suffers from a declining birthrate and while not all video games are marketed to the youth, this creates a shrinking market where the consumer are slowly disappearing.

NA and the EU doesn't suffer from the same fate. In fact their population is actually growing.

I love how you keep using a NPD January 2009 Wikipedia post to be the only thing defending your point regardless of question asked.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

For the record Wii did not expend the market in a demographic way in Japan.
Sure they got new customers that were not game buyers before. But at the same time the Wii failed to grab many people that bought a gaming console last gen. So there isn't any real expansion there....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Well all i can say lets see when the next NPD will show up. Even on this site the sales isnt that interesting especially with the consoles. Even with price cut

E3 2010- Tape runs out