By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales (10/12 - 10/18)

ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
samus aran rules said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
well ps3 will continue to dominate(29 october bayonetta ,tekken 6 ,the last rebellion)until december with a lot of games to support it

What exactly is PS3 dominating? It sure as hell isn´t Wii since they are both tied in hardware right now and Wii is having bigger softwaresales (so if anything Wii is dominating but I would certainly not call it that).

If one is to be nice to Sony one can say that it´s a tie right now regarding the consolerace in Japan but the one who is dominating Japan is as usual NDS with both huge sales in hardware and software. In Japan we should not look at things in terms of consoles and portables being in separate markets. Since they very clearly are competing in the same arena for custumers. NDS is this generations PS2 in Japan saleswise, that is the only proper way to look at it.

it is nonsence comparing DS to PS3

SINCE THEY DIFFER SO MUCH

It´s not nonsense. They compete for developers. They compete for custumers. And they compete in sales. As simple as that.

DS getting Dragon Quest IX which is the biggest thirdparty franchise in Japan and which has historically been released on the marketleading system in Japan says it all. More exactly, Dragon Quest has been released on all previous winners, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 and.... yes DS.

Think about it this way, if consoles are the main thing in Japan and we judge videogame sales from consoles strictly then what would this generation look like in Japan compared to previous gens? Pitiful that´s what.

And why is that? It isn´t that japanese people have stopped playing videogames is it? No they have just choosed another winning system instead of PS3 and Wii and that´s DS. It´s just that many of us who mainly play videogames do it on consoles (that goes for me as well) and are just too blind to see what has happened this generation in Japan when it really is plain as daylight. Japan have choosen a winning system, a system that is competing with all other systems and that has eaten into the sales of all others. The winner is the DS.

Around the Network

Note that Uncharted 2 sold 59.000 including the special edition. Not super amazing but really good for a western game in Japan.

rccsetzer said:
ph4nt said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
samus aran rules said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
well ps3 will continue to dominate(29 october bayonetta ,tekken 6 ,the last rebellion)until december with a lot of games to support it

What exactly is PS3 dominating? It sure as hell isn´t Wii since they are both tied in hardware right now and Wii is having bigger softwaresales (so if anything Wii is dominating but I would certainly not call it that).

If one is to be nice to Sony one can say that it´s a tie right now regarding the consolerace in Japan but the one who is dominating Japan is as usual NDS with both huge sales in hardware and software. In Japan we should not look at things in terms of consoles and portables being in separate markets. Since they very clearly are competing in the same arena for custumers. NDS is this generations PS2 in Japan saleswise, that is the only proper way to look at it.

it is nonsence comparing DS to PS3

SINCE THEY DIFFER SO MUCH

The only time people say that is when it favors there argument.

If Ps3 was selling identically to DS, noone would hesitate to brag about it. But since it isn't, "they can't be compared".

Also, when Wii was outselling PS3 by 10-1 in Japan. People said "they can't be compared, they are too different" Now that they are neck and neck after the SLim, how things have changed, they can be compared now!.

Japanese like small things or they are adapted to live in small places. I think it is difficult to them to have a 52'' lcd tv + a 7.1
 HT + a PS3 Phat (now slim solved part of the problem). They have no more room for it. Think about it.

Good observation but it isn't telling the entire story.

It's not just because their homes are smaller, but because the Japanese men spend most of their daily lifes at work away from their homes(which mainly is used for sleeping).

This is why it's a waste for them to invest in big TVs, homeconsoles and PCs. Instead they invest in mobile TVs, phones(for internet browsing) and portable consoles(especially now where they do the essense of JRPGs just as well) which can be used i breaks and on the train.

I like that ioi gives more responses than he used too

mM

i think uncharted did good not great i mean its japan....and ps3 and wii hardware wise are doing ok.

Around the Network

@ ioi

'Expected and hoped for are two different things. A bit of logic, looking at historical data etc would have kept your expectations a little more realistic.'

Is that why you said Wii hardware would INCREASE in the second week after the price drop?

PSN - hanafuda

Great job at the preview, I only expected a little more because of the first day numbers. But, good numbers nonetheless.

@ioi, keep posting, I like that.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Gooo Okamiiiii

Not a bad showing for UFC 2009 Undisputed in Japan when you consider the fact that the UFC is a foreign MMA brand and much less popular than K-1, Dream and Sengoku in Japan. When the heck are we gonna get a current-gen K-1 or DREAM game? I liked the K-1 and Pride FC games on PS2.

cant wait for MC figures