By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

@dallas

This is a store-specific promotion; there have been similar promotions offered for Blu-ray players in the past. Also, the last major defection in the HD format war was away from Blu-ray, not toward it. Which companies are you referring to, specifically?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

@ Dallas  uh, cell phones were given out free, i guess those worked out pretty well, or doesn't sony make cell phones?(therefore you would not own one)

kn said:
@ Madskillz --

Please report back on Monday how it went. I might get one and sell off a few of the HD DVD movies and Heroes on Ebay and get a couple of kid's titles...

@ KN

You got it. I will definitely let everyone know as soon as I make it home - and give everyone the juicy details. *keeping fingers crossed.* I will definitely make a scene if they don't honor it, especially with my paper in hand ... if they deny me, I'll just blog it on my newspaper blog ... ha ha ... the power of the press!!!!  

dallas said:
this is a sign of desperation when one format feels strong enough to price its players ar $500 and give 5 free next-gen DVDs, and the other feels the need to price its players at $250, and give away 7 free dvds plus a $99-valued Heroes box set. Meanwhile, it seems that every week another company defects to the BD-camp. oh well, don't say that I didn't warn y'allabout te quick gimmicks

Why the BR fanboyism? Are you mad Best Buy isn't offering this on the PS3?

Fact of the matter is - the media they are giving away pays for the player. I will gladly eat that price just to get the free HD-DVD. 

and actually the blu ray promotion at best buy is identical to the hd one, 2 instant movies, 5 send in movies, the heroes is a separate one for the xbox add on

Around the Network

I mean, in addition to the free dvd's that come in the box and mail, the customer is getting 2 more HD-DVD movies plus the $99 heroes box set. It just seems unlikely that BB would be sponsoring that big of a deal.

I'm just saying, recognize the promotion for what it really is, instead of being pushed into buying something that has a very doubtful sense of longevity as a product.

@ DALLAS

in today's best buy ad the deal is identical for the stand alone BR and HD 7 total, 2 now, 5 later, you can look it up on best buy's website, corporate told me that heroes is only for the 360 and NOT eligible for the 2 now hd dvds

According to this guy on digg.com, he said he didn't get the 2 extra HD-DVDs BUT ... he called Best Buy customer service and got a $35 gift card instead. You know, that's close enough for me ...

Here's the message ...

I just got back from bestbuy after buying the 360 hd player, and a simple call to customer service at 1-888-bestbuy and like 2 minutes of arguing about whether it is an accessory or a hd-dvd player will get you a 35 dollar bestbuy gift certificate.

ok, that is great that they have similar deals, but the fact of the matter is that they are givnig away a $100 item, in addition to the comparable promotion being offered for BD-players for something that isn't even $200.