By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

puffy said:
I don't want any more rail shooters, that's why I didn't buy a copy

Starfox?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
puffy said:

Starfox?

If you are taking a jab at Starfox you are on thin ice my friend. Also Starfox still gives you control of your ship on all stages, even if your freedom of movement is limited in most. My understanding is that you have no control of your characters movement in DSE.

hsrob said:
Khuutra said:
puffy said:

Starfox?

If you are taking a jab at Starfox you are on thin ice my friend. Also Starfox still gives you control of your ship on all stages, even if your freedom of movement is limited in most.

Read my post in context and then tell me whether or not it sounds like I'm ripping on Starfox.

Actually, no, I'll just say it: I am not ripping on Starfox. Rather, I am presenting it to the counterpoint that puffy does not want more rail shooters. Starfox is very much an on-rails shooter, regardless of the ability to move while one is on said rails.

The whole point is that Starfox is too awesome to not want.

Khuutra said:
hsrob said:
Khuutra said:
puffy said:

Starfox?

If you are taking a jab at Starfox you are on thin ice my friend. Also Starfox still gives you control of your ship on all stages, even if your freedom of movement is limited in most.

Read my post in context and then tell me whether or not it sounds like I'm ripping on Starfox.

Actually, no, I'll just say it: I am not ripping on Starfox. Rather, I am presenting it to the counterpoint that puffy does not want more rail shooters. Starfox is very much an on-rails shooter, regardless of the ability to move while one is on said rails.

The whole point is that Starfox is too awesome to not want.

Yeah, actually I knew exactly what you meant but the term rail shooter is becoming something of dirty expression these days and the allusion that Starfox should be lumped into that category affects my gaming sensibilities.  Even though it is, to call it a mere rail shooter seems just wrong.

I don't like Starfox, I've only ever played Command, it sucked.

Around the Network
puffy said:
I don't like Starfox, I've only ever played Command, it sucked.

WHAAAAAAAAAT

Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
kingofwale said:
It's simply unreasonable to expect a third-party game to do well on Wii JUST because it recieved high-review scores.

Didn't work for Zak and Wiki

Didn't work for Mad World

Didn't work for NMH

Just face it, most game buyers (and yes, I mean the people who actually go buy games) don't read reviews.

Fixed, because this applies to all systems. Sure the best selling HD games often get high reviews, but not always, and those reviews often come more from pleasing critics (or some other less ethical methods).

People didn't buy GTA IV because of the reveiws. They bought it because it was another 3D world GTA game.

Demon's Souls say hi.

MLB09 The Show says hi

Uncharted 1 says hi

"not always" and "often come from" say try actually reading comments.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

So wait.

Dead Space sells 1.5 million+ and it's a failure, but MadWorld, The Conduit, Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes and Muramasa sell less than that combined... and they're all individual successes?

I think I'm gonna go ahead and develop a Wii game myself. Apparently they only cost a bag of peanuts to make and turn a profit no matter how badly they sell.

I think the reason that Star Fox is the best on-rails shooter is because you don't feel like you're on rails. In most of these games, I'm constantly asking myself "Why am I jumping out this window? Why am I climbing into the sewer? Why am I sneaking into this pitch black hellhole full of monsters?" But in Star Fox, I know exactly where I'm going. I'm flying in a straight line to the boss, and I'm gonna blow his ass up. And there's no stupid camera shaking.

Controller shaking is a different story.