By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is God of War such a big deal?

The best franchise made by sony is a BIG DEAL.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

+1 for darthdevidem,

God of war is an overrated game like Gear of War.
This the review score/comment that made the buzz around the game, not really the sales themselves.
Because of this and because it is an exclusive game,
God of War 3 is waited around the corner by PS3 fan.

Time to Work !

I agree with Darth Vadem. GoW3 is in the same category as K2 sales wise. Could turn out to be decent games, but wont push consoles like MGS4 or FFXIII

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It's a good game. I don't think its a game that could be considered a system seller. It juds adds, significantly, to the library. Besides kratos is too ugly to be a mascot for sony. Ratchet is much more family friendly.

The first one didn't sell like MGS2/3 or FFX or FFXII because it was a new franchise on a well matured system that already had a ton of massive franchises. The second one wasn't able to pull the kind of numbers like the first one because, like some of you have said, it was released in March of this year with all the hype of the next-gen systems. What new franchise on the PS2 (or any system for that matter) that came out in the time frame of the GOW series has sold better than it? If the games had come out two years earlier, I'm sure the numbers would have been much higher. By the final years of the PS2 the market had be pretty saturated with very good games, so people didn't feel as compelled to buy GOW. A lot of people even skipped out on MGS3 and FFXII for this same reason. I think it's pretty safe to say GOW3 will be a huge seller and will be a major reason why people buy the PS3

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
jv103 said:
It's a good game. I don't think its a game that could be considered a system seller. It juds adds, significantly, to the library. Besides kratos is too ugly to be a mascot for sony. Ratchet is much more family friendly.

Xbox = Green armors machine gun weilding guy

Nintendo = Fat Plummer that jumps on turtles heads

Sony = actually has many games that could be mascots, Kratos just awesome.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

You do know that the first GoW didn't break one million in the US until after it hit the 19.99 GH price right? I'm waiting for a price drop myself in order to play GoW2....

""""""I agree with Darth Vadem. GoW3 is in the same category as K2 sales wise. Could turn out to be decent games, but wont push consoles like MGS4 or FFXIII
""""

==> NO
for KZ2, it will just depend of the game quality.
And from what we have seen so far, it is more than decent and will massively push the system (there is too many buzz around the game)
Wait and see for the first review/demo.
You cannot predict sales just based on the name
Look at Gear of War last year !

BUT, it is right, KZ/GoW are less important than MGS/FF for the average gamer.

Time to Work !

Nintendo has lot too.

A floating pink puffball.

A yellow rodent.

A green elf.

A monkey that thinks it is a donkey.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

God of War 2 sold much more than the first at this point and still hasn't hit the magic 19.99 price point.

The series is great, but due to mature content it doesn't push much hardware.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.