By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Starter Pack (60 GB model) already disappearing in some European countries?

Once in a while, I peek at console sales rankings at the European Amazon websites (UK, France and Germany). I know that they don't mean much, but I still do it.

For about two weeks now, at the French and German amazon websites, I have noticed that the 60 GB PS3 model is never in stock, and its very low sales rankings show that it's not getting regularly restocked and sold out (as it happens the Wii is in USA for example - it's hard to see it stocked but it's usually in the top 10 because it sells out fast). It's not the case in Amazon UK, where the Starter Pack is still selling well (#2) and it's never sold out.

This is getting me a bit surprised, since I thought that there were plenty of Starter Packs in all European countries to last at least until Christmas. As we know from Sony, they're not getting manufactured anymore.

The question I want to ask to our German/French posters (and possibly from some other countries too) is if this is really happening, or if it's just an Amazon thing. When you visit your local stores, are there Starter Packs available or usually just the new 40 GB model?

If it's a simple case of Amazon misleading me, this thread can still be used for people to report on when the starter packs start disappearing in their countries.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

PS3 starter packs have disappeared from most stores in Poland, it seems to me. There are only two stores in the capital that have a little left.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Here is Spain you can find both, the 40 and 60gb version, but i supose that sony want to look after us, because as the uk, we are one of their principal markets

Well in UK, they are still there

but they are sold out in 1 retailer in my town....

HMV to be accurate

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

I already saw 1 retails sold out in France.
and all the others retailers stock seem limited cause they will not have any new shippment.

Personnaly, from what I have hear at retailers, in 2-3 week,s the 60gb maybe sold out everywhere in France.
Even if Sony doesn't made any advertising in France, people slowly become aware of the price drop and ask themsleves if they want or not a PS3.
I also think the 60gb stock are lower than in US.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Thank you all for your replies, and keep them coming :)

Libellule, I just noticed that in fnac.fr the starter pack takes 4 to 12 days to ship.

Being true, this could be bad for PS3 sales, since people are already starting to not have the choice of BC! And some people could be looking for the 60 GB model for a long time without finding it, which is not a good thing for sales either. Some people are just going to decide that they don't want a gimped model, and wait indefinitely.

I think a shortage of the 60 GB units would have even worse consequences in Europe than in USA, because here they're bundled with two additional games and one controller.

To be realistic, from what we're reading here it doesn't seem like the shortage is anything serious yet (except in Poland according to Wojtas), but I'm starting to doubt supply will last until Christmas.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sold out in New Zealand in many major retailers and they are constantly waiting for re-directed stock to arrive.

I rarely visit games stores, I buy everything online, but in the GAME at Brent Cross, they seem to still have PS3s left. Also, does anyone in the UK know if Sony are offering hard or soft bundles (ie is everything just thrown together or does it comes in a specially made box) I assume now they can't, but before the price drop were there any official boxes?

add me

How many were in stock?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

If this is true then does it mean ps3 sales picked up from last week? I expect sales to be higher nevertheless.

mM