By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Starter Pack (60 GB model) already disappearing in some European countries?

Well, it seems that the 60 GBs are starting to be unavailable in some countries... When I started this thread I thought I might just be getting fooled by Amazon...

I think this will have a visible impact in the sales. After sales stabilize, I believe they'll be at a different level, although I'm not sure if it will be above or below previous levels... It will be interesting to see the performance of the PS3 in PAL territories in the next few weeks.

What do you guys think the reactions of customers will be? Did Sony intend this when they announced the 40 GB model?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Here in Spain it is starting to dissappear from some stores ,the sales have been tremendous after the stores ,with even the little stores selling like 6-7 units a day .But some of the bigger stores seems to be restocked in any case .

Most people want to grab the 60Gb machines ,100 euros for 2 games ,one controller ,backwards compatibility and 2 USB conections is a steal and people are smart enough to understand that .

Besides ,why getting the 40Gb alone when in some days it will be bundled with the Spiderman 3 Blu Ray ?

In any case if the sales went downward after the 60Gb dissappears Sony will do some research and release the 80Gb in Europe .They commit errors but arent so stupid that cant undo those .

I wonder which price the 80 GB will have here... Gawd... Even the 40 GB costs us over 700$!

I just did a quick check at two Portuguese online retailers:

- one of them has precisely 11 60 GB PS3s in stock
- the other one has eliminated any mention of the 60 GB model from their website

I just did a check at 2 french retailers in paris :

- FNAC : big one, you found CD/DVD/photo/computer/book/comics/manga/TV

60gb + motorstorm + RFoM = sold out
60 gb + HS + formula 1 = 20 in stock

they mainly sell the 60gb, the offer is largely better than the 40gb for them.

- Micromania : only video games

they are not sold out for the 60gb but close to be
in fact, they dont have a lot of stock
BUT
it appears that they may still receive some new console later "from Sony".
it seems that they are not able to predict when they will receive others consoles and they dont know how long it will last until "Sony stock" are totally empty.

they also mainly sell the 60gb witch possess BC and a bigger Hdrive.

Conclusion : maybe more 60gb in France than I expected.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

The 60 GB model is now out of stock at Amazon UK (it seemed to last the longest there among all European Amazons). It was usually in the top 10 of sales in video games.

I can't help noticing that the 40 GB model is in #165th place. This supports my long held theory that people don't have any interest in this model yet. The only thing which remains to be seen is whether people will buy it or not when the 60 GB model really sells out in the whole country. The next few weeks of sales will probably give us some insight about this, since it seems to be almost sold out in some countries already.

PS: I know the "amazon sales don't count" theory in and out, so no need to reply with that. For the purposes of this post and thread, Amazon data is perfectly fine (and it seems to be confirmed by other sources).

In Spain it depends on the store ,in any case bigger stores are being restocked of the 60Gb units even if they are sold out .

Oh ,and I already saw the 40Gb unit bundled with Spiderman the wednesday ....there was only one unit the others had already been purchased after the guy of the store .

well, the 40gb success only depend of 1 thing :

PS3 games.

I think what we have to check is HOW the 40gb sell when some big games are released (when the 60gb is sold out ofc) : ratchet, unchartred and even multiplteform games like CoD4/AssassinCreed.

Remember, there are still no big reasons to buy a PS3 considering the bad multiplateform games (better on Xbox360 : skate/PES2008) and the last exclusive games : HS/Lair.

I think, without the PS2 BC, PS3 trully need big good games that I predict will start to come this Xmas.

Time to Work !