By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft reiterates that 360 will outsell PS3 for the entire generation

ramses01 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Xoj said:
ramses01 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Lol big talk considering the PS3 has beat 360 by over 900,000 units since the PS3 price cut. I could see PS3 beating 360 by 100k per week from November until Christmas

You must not be paying attention.  The 360 will outsell the PS3 by probably at least 200K for the rest of year, most likely closer to 500K.

wait what? who is making that miracle? that will not happen unless they give them away from free.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. Did Microsoft just announce Halo 4? Or did they cut the price to $150? I must have missed something big because last I checked the PS3 wasn't slowing down any.

It is in the US. Check the numbers, 360 outsold the PS3 in the US once again. Sure Others and Japan are the PS3's for now, but these US is untouchable by Sony.

Others is a bigger market then the US and currently PS3 is dominating others. I don't see the PS3 slowing down until 360 does something big.

Others and Japan combined aren't nearly half as important as the US for things that matter to gamers, namely games.

The 360 managed to win Americas last week (even though it was only by 400 units), but that did nothing to keep the 360 from getting crushed by 70,000 units worldwide last week due to combined Others and Japanese sales.

Around the Network

I like Aaron Greenberg a lot. He's confident, enthusiastic and has a lot of energy, but he ain't arrogant.

He gives hope to our brand. That there's still a chance to beat Sony.

In this interview he was mostly refering to USA NPD sales, but when he says "X360 will outsell ps3 for the entire generation" I believe he means total worldwide sales. That may not happen, but that's how confident MS always are toward the public. They're winners.

nightsurge said:
Carl2291 said:
nightsurge said:
Carl2291 said:
nightsurge said:
ShadowSoldier said:
nightsurge said:
ShadowSoldier said:
If Microsoft doesn't drop the price when Natal drops or package NATAL with a 360 plus a price drop then they're getting outsold with the PS3 over taking the 360's lead by Winter 2010. Believe that

Nah, even then it'd still take the PS3 at minimum until Holidays 2011 to overtake the 360's lead.  And that's assuming it maintains 90k+ average weekly sales over the 360 for the entirety until then, which isn't likely.

With its current momentum it looks like the PS3 will be selling 200k+ for a good long while. Especially with it's heavy hitters coming out next year.

Meh, not really.  After about January or February it will drop down to 175k or less per week, then keep dropping as it nears summer just like last year.  Overall the average of the 52 weeks would be less than 90k weekly advantage.  To overtake the 360's lead by next winter it would need to outsell the 360 by like 135k+ each week, which won't happen, sorry.

What's really funny, is that most people thougth it would be below 175k right now, heck... People thought it would be there on its 3rd week after the pricecut. And look what happened there.

PS3 Q1/Q2 lineup of games has enough quality and selling potential to keep sales up. There is no reason why games like Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3 and most of all Gran Turismo 5 can't provide boost's good enough to keep it in the ~200k range.

I guess we'll see.  But I highly doubt anything other than FF in Japan will have much affect on console sales for more than a week or two.

Do you mean that Final Fantasy 13 in Japan is the only system seller PS3 has left WW? Or only for Japan?

I mean it's the only major system seller. Other games may boost it for a week or two, but FF in Japan is the only thing left that will make a huge boost for any console.

Yeah, but there are three FFs coming to PS3 (which will bring several smaller jrpgs in their wake), and GT5 will sell a million in Japan.  And other games like The Last Guardian will sell well enough.   And until Square says different there is still as much of a chance of Kingdom Hearts 3 being on PS3 as on Wii.

360 Slim + Natal + Halo Reach + Gears of War 3 = Bye Bye PlayStation Brand.

Is it really hard to doubt that the 360 will come out on top of the PS3? People seem to try to hard to convince themselves its not true.

PS3 = Just you wait! Wait for some price cut.... Wait for their online to catch up to LIVE... Wait for some game to port... Wait for GT5.... Wait Wait Wait!! Sony waited so long that MS took almost every 3rd party exclusive they had and made them multiplat. They took a huge chunk of the market share... Sony should have crushed MS from the start instead of telling people to get 2 jobs to pay for their PS3.

Sony really messed up bad this gen with how much momentum they had with the PS2. Nintendo is back to being #1 and MS is a serious contender. MS will never lay down now that they have a strong foot hole. You can twist and spin numbers and expectation all you want. MS seems to always be a few steps ahead and has the financials to do what they want. It will be interesting to see what the next move is. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a $149.99 arcade this holiday season.

Around the Network

^^^We waited and guess what Sony's back on top and Microsoft is back on the bottom.

Even with these "360 Slim + Natal + Halo Reach + Gears of War 3", the Japanese game community wouldn't pick 360 over PS3 and that fact will always keep the Playstation brand alive.

There have been 12 million + PSPs sold in Japan so far, PS3 will sell at least 10 million units in Japan and do much better worldwide than PSP when all is said and done.

Spiteful49 said:
Is it really hard to doubt that the 360 will come out on top of the PS3? People seem to try to hard to convince themselves its not true.

PS3 = Just you wait! Wait for some price cut.... Wait for their online to catch up to LIVE... Wait for some game to port... Wait for GT5.... Wait Wait Wait!! Sony waited so long that MS took almost every 3rd party exclusive they had and made them multiplat. They took a huge chunk of the market share... Sony should have crushed MS from the start instead of telling people to get 2 jobs to pay for their PS3.

Sony really messed up bad this gen with how much momentum they had with the PS2. Nintendo is back to being #1 and MS is a serious contender. MS will never lay down now that they have a strong foot hole. You can twist and spin numbers and expectation all you want. MS seems to always be a few steps ahead and has the financials to do what they want. It will be interesting to see what the next move is. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a $149.99 arcade this holiday season.

Yeah, look at iHuGi's post, and see for yourself who's saying "Just you wait!". The PS3 got its price cut, and look where it left the 360 now, not to mention it's stabilizing at around 200,000 weekly. Gran Turismo is the Halo of racing games. I'll admit, I'm a little doubtful of how much steam it's got now compared to the PS2 era, but we can't say for sure until it releases.

As for how this generation will end, I predict PS3 and Xbox 360 sales to be quite close.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
Reasonable said:
He may be right, he may not. But when you say 'we will' about future events its still just a prediction. I'm sure MS will do all they can to make it come true. But nobody knows if the 360 will outsell PS3 for the whole generation. Why does an obvious PR statement that cannot be considered definite as its about future events get so much attention?

I've been asking the very same thing. People just can't bother to look at it from a business perspective.

Thanks.  I just can't understand how people miss the fact he's just backing his company.  He doesn't know what he says for sure.  No one does. 360 might outsell PS3 but it is not certain - that's a fact right now today.

Right now I think we're heading for a photo finish - and the margin may be small, but it could in the end go either way.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I can't believe people really think Nintendo cut the price, because of the PS3.Nintendo is in is own league.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe people really think Nintendo cut the price, because of the PS3.Nintendo is in is own league.

Yeah. The Wii sales went in a slump long before even the rumors of a Slim and pricecut started to appear.