By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 can be released anytime PD wants..

@Onyxmeth

Isn't that the same about every game developer who uses the same team to develop various games at the same time?
You can argue that Square-Enix can't excuse itself for FFXIII to be released only this year when we have had various previews since E3 05, yet they aren't only pooling Nomura's team to FFXIII, they are using him for various side projects from KH 351/2, KH BBS, FFVXIII and even to the DS remakes. Yet we don't see these kind of complaints being pushed over at S-E side.
Isn't it the same for Half-Life 2 fans who are constantly asking Valve about Episode 3, yet it has been 2 (will make 3 years in 2010) that episode 2 was released and is still taking them this long to release an episodic game, in which Valve's original plan was originally to release both episodes with 6 months - 1 year tops separation between them? And why is that? Because they have been pooled to make other games, leaving their main most wanted project on hold, yet I haven't seen these kind of complaints as well.

As Dorbin said too, Blizzard has taken forever to release D2 and SC2, even though fans have always asked them for it, and we even have had SC2 information from 2005, yet the game will only be released next year if we are lucky. And why is that? Because they are both polishing the game up and because their team has been used for other games as well.

You see, the list goes on for most developers, but the only developer nowadays that gets this kind of critiques and complaints seems to be PD.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Onyxmeth said:

Just a few thoughts:

Mentioning Tourist Trophy, Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue as excuses for the long wait for GT5 is absurd. All three games were akin to side projects since they all used a ton of available resources in making them. GTPSP and TT were built off of GT4 and Prologue was merely lifted off the work going into GT5. Considering all three are nowhere near the polish one would expect from a Polyphony Digital title they should be considered distractions. They had none of the heart and devotion you would expect, and were the exact opposite approach PD is taking with GT5. They all felt rushed and lacked key components you would expect in a racing sim. I'm fairly sure if it meant getting a year or two back on GT5's release, the majority of you would pass on all three games having been made altogether. I mean really. Tourist Trophy? The only time anyone even talks about that game is when they want to mention it's why GT5 is coming out in 2010. Then we can't forget all the time wasted working on the canned Gran Turismo for Boys and Gran Turismo HD titles along with the iTunes like store to go along with it.

The only reason this is being overlooked is because now we're upon GT5's release. Ask the same defenders what they think of the idea of releasing three underwhelming projects and canning two others all the while coming at the expense of a potentially 12 months or more shorter GT5 development schedule back in 2005, and they'ed have thrown a hissy fit.

To know your true feelings towards this, ask yourself whether you're willing to suspend GT5 for yet another side project to get top billing. Or another two.

Of course i would be pissed.

But the "side projects" were made when GT5 didn't have a release date. Now it does have a release date, i would be mega pissed off with PD if it got delayed.

And it doesn't matter if the games are "side projects" or not. They are still games and they still take up dev time. It doesn't matter if we want them or not... They are still there.

It does matter though. It matters to those that don't care about the three other titles and want GT5 already. Those people are getting asked to be calm because PD has put out three other games in the meantime, one of which will be irrelevant when GT5 releases, another that is an incomplete GT that was not supposed to come out first and take time away from GT5, and yet another that is akin to something you'd have expected them to package with GT4 in a motorcycle mode. A lot of people don't want any of the other titles, and would just like the title they've been hearing about for 4 years to come out already.

Of course people are pissed and not patient. It's been years of Sony's executives, PR people and Yamauchi himself flipflopping on timeframes and vaguely giving some sort of false hope to gamers. If you look over the years of Yamauchi's interviews you'd see all the canned projects and all the comments he's made that turned out to be flat out wrong regarding the game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The simple fact is, as long as people continue to buy those stupid Prologue versions there will always be a delay to the actual game.  People basically pay them to be lazy and that makes PD have no incentive to rush out the real game.  Call me a hater if you like but that is not the case here.  I have owned at one time or another every GT game made except the Prologue versions and the PSP one.

I just think its sad that people continually cuddle PD for doing some stuff that 99% of other companies would catch hell for.  If this would have been Microsoft or one of its studios they would have been burnt at the stake for doing half as much stuff.

I happen to like the GT series a LOT but I have seriously started taking issue to a lot of stuff PD does.  And the longer they continue doing this stuff the less and less likely they will keep me as a loyal customer.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

I wonder why people get so mad when they can't play a game.

@damndl0ser

I don't think you're a hater, and I believe you when you say you are a GT fan since the PS1 days. But I think it's the other way around. Most game studios do exactly what PD has done, as I've pointed out to Onyxmeth. It may not be with Prologue Versions, but with other games rather than their main game, and they don't catch the same amount of flak as PD has caught.

To me, as long as they deliver on their game, I will be their consumer, as I will be for any other company in the same situation, because in the end that's what matters, the quality of the games.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
@Onyxmeth

Isn't that the same about every game developer who uses the same team to develop various games at the same time?
You can argue that Square-Enix can't excuse itself for FFXIII to be released only this year when we have had various previews since E3 05, yet they aren't only pooling Nomura's team to FFXIII, they are using him for various side projects from KH 351/2, KH BBS, FFVXIII and even to the DS remakes. Yet we don't see these kind of complaints being pushed over at S-E side.
Isn't it the same for Half-Life 2 fans who are constantly asking Valve about Episode 3, yet it has been 2 (will make 3 years in 2010) that episode 2 was released and is still taking them this long to release an episodic game, in which Valve's original plan was originally to release both episodes with 6 months - 1 year tops separation between them? And why is that? Because they have been pooled to make other games, leaving their main most wanted project on hold, yet I haven't seen these kind of complaints as well.

As Dorbin said too, Blizzard has taken forever to release D2 and SC2, even though fans have always asked them for it, and we even have had SC2 information from 2005, yet the game will only be released next year if we are lucky. And why is that? Because they are both polishing the game up and because their team has been used for other games as well.

You see, the list goes on for most developers, but the only developer nowadays that gets this kind of critiques and complaints seems to be PD.

Who's excusing Square Enix for anything nowadays? I see them getting crucified constatly over the long delays involving FF XIII and FF Versus XIII. However Square Enix is not a development studio. They're a publisher. No one knows the breakdown of studios and who is specifically working on what. All we know are the team leaders of each project, but just because Nomura has had to do some sidework on other titles doesn't mean his team isn't still plugging away at FF Versus XIII. There's just no way to know, but I do know that one man does not make a large scale HD game, and I know the teams of at least two of the games you mentioned are not the same team behind Versus.

Regarding Half-Life 2: Episode 3, again you're talking about another well documented occurence. Valve gets asked about it, pleaded about it and fans are getting antsy about it.

Regarding Diablo III and Starcraft II, I don't believe Blizzard has released anything to take away from the development of these titles. I'm fairly sure Blizzard has dedicated teams for each of their three games. That's not to say Blizzard isn't getting bitched at. They are. They get bitched at for their idea of splitting Starcraft II into three games, which was meant to be a way to get the product out faster.

So really all I see is you've given me three other examples of publishers getting shit over working far too long on their titles also. When you can think of someone that is getting away with it and releases other projects in the meantime, give me a holler.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

They are given the same amount of critique as PD has had? Then please show me where it is, since i'm a regular at some Diablo 3, Final Fantasy and Half-Life forums and don't even see half the amount of complaints that i've seen here for GT5.

The biggest critique i've seen for any game i've pointed out was Diablo 3, and that was because that whole "global art looks too kiddy" fiasco. I was even one of the few that since the start was defending Blizzard at the Blizzard forums.

Valve fans have pretty much quieted down since L4D released, plus with L4D2 in the near future, they will continue to be quiet about HL:E3

Square is getting most of it's flak still because some Sony only players are still complaining about the game taking so long for the solemn reason that it went to the 360, that's not even a valid complaint. FFVXIII is purely most fan hopes than Square promising anything, they will show the complete game when they see fit to.

If you can find me the links that prove me otherwise, then by all means I will be glad to say I was wrong, but until then, don't just throw things in the air and back down from a discussion.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
They are given the same amount of critique as PD has had? Then please show me where it is, since i'm a regular at some Diablo 3, Final Fantasy and Half-Life forums and don't even see half the amount of complaints that i've seen here for GT5.

The biggest critique i've seen for any game i've pointed out was Diablo 3, and that was because that whole "global art looks too kiddy" fiasco. I was even one of the few that since the start was defending Blizzard at the Blizzard forums.

Valve fans have pretty much quieted down since L4D released, plus with L4D2 in the near future, they will continue to be quiet about HL:E3

Square is getting most of it's flak still because some Sony only players are still complaining about the game taking so long for the solemn reason that it went to the 360, that's not even a valid complaint. FFVXIII is purely most fan hopes than Square promising anything, they will show the complete game when they see fit to.

If you can find me the links that prove me otherwise, then by all means I will be glad to say I was wrong, but until then, don't just throw things in the air and back down from a discussion.

There's no measurement cup for forum bitching sir, so I can't pour a cup of Square-Enix, Blizzard or Valve complaints and prove to you it weighs the same as the Polyphony Digital ones. There's really no comparison anyways since none of the other development teams have proven to do what Polyphony is doing, which is sliding their most wanted project aside for less desirable products.

Left 4 Dead is ultimately bigger than an Episode of Half-Life is. If this were Half Life 3 I would see you're point, but there's no indication that Episode 3 is as big as Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are. Blizzard is sliding the smaller project aside to work on a larger one. Also, neither game is nearly as anticipated as GT5, so threads about them in their entirety is lower because of that.

Secondly, Starcraft 2, which does get bitched about as you'll soon see, is not in a long develpment cycle because the team is stopping development to make other games. It's just taking long to make.

Lastly, you can't invalidate FF XIII complaints because they involve the 360. The delays get bitched about, and the 360 is the most talked about reason as to why it's happening.

L4D is bigger than an Episode of Half Life? I won't even judge the content of that quote, because you are only measuring bigger as more content, not on quality and importance as I was measuring.

Blizzard main reason for the delays of SC2 and D3 has and will always be WoW, not some smaller projects. WoW is the biggest cash cow of Blizzard so it's obvious that the biggest amount of support and team development will go to that game, especially since Blizzard is now owned by Activision.
And about that SC2 thread, that was what? A year ago? Roughly the same time the whole D3 anger struck the forums as well. What many people overlooked in SC2 being split into three expansions was the fact that the whole core of the game, the multiplayer can be played with any of the expansions, and also, it's not like they have never done that before. Brood War was supposed to be part of the original game as well, yet they decided to make it an expansion, Warcraft 2 and 3 also had expansions of their own. I don't want to start an argument over it so let's just move on.

The delays of FF are in the same degree of the delays of GT in my opinion, because we were never given a specific release date for FFXIII. That was, once again, just pure fan speculation and conjecture, which still revolves around my main point in this whole discussion, fans make up this "dates" and "delays" because they hope that the game will be released when they want, instead of what the developer officialy sets it out to be released.

I hate it when people compare GT "delays" to the official delays of a Duke Nukem Forever or something of the sort, because it isn't even remotely comparable, but in the mind of those who do that, it's the same, since they have made up a date which they wanted the game to be released.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
L4D is bigger than an Episode of Half Life? I won't even judge the content of that quote, because you are only measuring bigger as more content, not on quality and importance as I was measuring.

Blizzard main reason for the delays of SC2 and D3 has and will always be WoW, not some smaller projects. WoW is the biggest cash cow of Blizzard so it's obvious that the biggest amount of support and team development will go to that game, especially since Blizzard is now owned by Activision.
And about that SC2 thread, that was what? A year ago? Roughly the same time the whole D3 anger struck the forums as well. What many people overlooked in SC2 being split into three expansions was the fact that the whole core of the game, the multiplayer can be played with any of the expansions, and also, it's not like they have never done that before. Brood War was supposed to be part of the original game as well, yet they decided to make it an expansion, Warcraft 2 and 3 also had expansions of their own. I don't want to start an argument over it so let's just move on.

The delays of FF are in the same degree of the delays of GT in my opinion, because we were never given a specific release date for FFXIII. That was, once again, just pure fan speculation and conjecture, which still revolves around my main point in this whole discussion, fans make up this "dates" and "delays" because they hope that the game will be released when they want, instead of what the developer officialy sets it out to be released.

I hate it when people compare GT "delays" to the official delays of a Duke Nukem Forever or something of the sort, because it isn't even remotely comparable, but in the mind of those who do that, it's the same, since they have made up a date which they wanted the game to be released.

Ok, so do you care to share your measurements that show Episode 3 is both of higher quality and more important than Left 4 Dead?

I showed you Starcraft 2 got bitched about. What more do you want? All you're doing now is trying to write it off as inconsequential to prove your earlier point that it doesn't get bitched about. That was epic meltdown bitching. I encourage you to find me a link that has more malice in it regarding GT5. I'll take out my malice measuring cup and weigh the two.

With FF XIII, you keep going back to the false delays to compare it to GT5's delays, and I'm not sure why. I never made a comment about GT5 being delayed. You seem to be projecting a generic argument towards the thread onto me. My argument was that Polyphony pushed aside GT5 for projects that will likely review poorly in comparison, have poorer word of mouth and will sell far less, and that they should have concentrated on the bread and butter project that affords this them all this sweet time in the first place to get it right.

If you know your game takes 180 days just for each car model, and you want to put 1000 cars in your game, how about putting some concentration into it and not releasing the PSP game you already said would come out afterwards? People are expecting certain things because they were told certain things. You say the game isn't delayed. Fine. However it was supposed to be top priority over GT PSP and it ended up not being so, and that's just as bad as a delay is.