By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's Take A Look At 2010 (PS3)

With the release of Uncharted 2 upon us and the growing hype and rave reviews surrounding it, it's got me thinking.

What games do Sony have for the foreseeable future that might meet with similiar such acclaim? Is there much to look forward to beyond this holiday season on the PS3?

Let's take a look at what could possibly release on the PS3 for 2010 in the West.

I've also included my very rough predictions of sales.

Games:

God Of War III. Sales 2-3m

-Scheduled release date of March 2010.

Gran Turismo 5. Sales 8m+

(My guess is one of the above will be moved. I'm thinking GT5 to possibly a summer release date.)

Heavy Rain. Sales 1m

-Scheduled release date of Early 2010.

MAG. Sales 1m+

-Scheduled release January 2010.

ModNation Racers. Sales 1.5m

The Last Guardian. Sales 1m+

-Scheduled release for 2010.

Quantum Theory. 800k+

-Scheduled release March 2010.

(This probably will release in or around March. Tecmo have mentioned it's nearly done, and as it's a third party game they can release it whenever they choose, it doesn't have to fit into Sony's schedule.)

White Knight Chronicles. Sales 500k

-Scheduled release early 2010.

FFvXIII. Sales 2m+

-Scheduled release for 2010. (Edit: Almost certain not to arrive in 2010 given that there will be 3 FF titles in one year.)

FFXIV. Sales 400k

Agent. Sales 2-3m?

Free Realms. Sales 0

DC Universe Online. Sales 400k

The Agency. Sales 400k

(Three MMO's in the same year?)

Projects more then likely in development. Possibly for 2010:

Insomniac/Resistance 3

-Probably a November release.

Evolution Studios next project- Motorstorm 2/3?

-October/November release.

Eat Sleep Play project- Twisted Metal PS3?

-(I think this might be pushed to 2011. Given two driving/racing exclusive games are releasing that year.)

Media Molecule

Will they have something to show two years after LBP? I'm thinking either a reveal at E3/GDC or 2011.

Incognito/Lightbox Interactive.

My guess is they're working on something, but it won't see the light of day until 2011.

ThatGameCompany

A new PSN release is almost assured for 2010. Probably around the Summer.

In summary, I'm predicting a layout somewhat like this:

Quarter 1:

MAG, GOW III, Quantum Theory and White Knight Chronicles.

Quarter 2:

Heavy Rain, Modnation Racers.

Quarter 3:

GT5, The Last Guardian.

Quarter 4:

Motorstorm 3, Resistance 3, Agent.

I'm thinking the MMO's could release at any time, and that FFVXII and FFXIV might both see delays. The schedule still looks pretty crowded in comparison to this year so other delays (Agent, The Last Guardian, Heavy Rain) might be inevitable.

I see GOWIII creating some small momentum at the start of the year, GT5 spiking it around start/mid summer and then it possibly holding out with smaller releases as it heads into the holiday season, with the wild card of Agent (assuming it isn't delayed) possibly providing a strong exclusive for the holidays.

So what do you guys think?

Edit: some small adjustments to numbers.

Around the Network

Wow what a year that sets out to be! I was also wondering about the close release for GoW and GT - I really think they should not be released at around the same time in NA and Europe. I for one would have problems in having to choose between them :(

I don't see Agent coming out next year. If they want to make an AAA game, that takes time. Either they are working on if for 2.5 years now, or it won't get released next year.

Also, I see MAG selling more, GOW 3 selling more, ModNation Racers selling less.

Plus, as there will be moar PS3s sold, and more buzz/hype in general, should translate to mor sales in general, so maybe a 15% increase in all estimates would apply.

And please fix FFVXII to FFVXIII. I know it's small thing, but it's important...to some.

Dallinor said:

With the release of Uncharted 2 upon us and the growing hype and rave reviews surrounding it, it's got me thinking.

What games do Sony have for the foreseeable future that might meet with similiar such acclaim? Is there much to look forward to beyond this holiday season on the PS3?

Let's take a look at what could possibly release on the PS3 for 2010 in the West.

I've also included my very rough predictions of sales.

Games:

God Of War III. Sales-2-3m

Gran Turismo 5. Sales 8m+ I think 8 Million is really pushing it.

(My guess is one of the above will be moved. I'm thinking GT5 to possibly a summer release date.)

Heavy Rain. Sales 1m

MAG. Sales 800k-1m I think MAG will do better than most expect

-Scheduled release January 2010.

ModNation Racers. Sales 1.5m+

The Last Guardian. Sales 1m+

Quantum Theory. Sales 1m+

-Scheduled release March 2010.

(This probably will release in or around March. Tecmo have mentioned it's nearly done, and as it's a third party game they can release it whenever they choose, it doesn't have to fit into Sony's schedule.)

White Knight Chronicles. Sales 500k

-Scheduled release early 2010.

FFVXII. Sales 2m

FFXIV. Sales 400k.

Agent. Sales 3m+?

Free Realms. Sales: 0

DC Universe Online. Sales 400k.

The Agency. Sales 400k This should hit 1 Million

(Three MMO's in the same year?)

Projects more then likely in development. Possibly for 2010:

Insomniac/Resistance 3

-Probably a November release.

Evolution Studios next project- Motorstorm 2/3?

-October/November release.

Eat Sleep Play project- Twisted Metal PS3?

-(I think this might be pushed to 2011. Given two driving/racing exclusive games are releasing that year.)

Media Molecule

Will they have something to show two years after LBP? I'm thinking either a reveal at E3 or 2011.

Incognito/Lightbox Interactive.

My guess is they're working on something, but it won't see the light of day until 2011.

ThatGameCompany

A new PSN release is almost assured for 2010. Probably around the Summer.

In summary, I'm predicting a layout somewhat like this:

Quarter 1:

MAG, GOW III, Quantum Theory, White Knight Chronicles AND EYEPET.

Quarter 2:

Heavy Rain, Modnation Racers.

Quarter 3:

GT5, The Last Guardian.

Quarter 4:

Motorstorm 3, Resistance 3, Agent.

I'm thinking the MMO's could release at any time, and that FFVXII and FFXIV might both see delays. The schedule still looks pretty crowded in comparison to this year so other delays (Agent, The Last Guardian, Heavy Rain) might be inevitable.

I see GOWIII creating some small momentum at the start of the year, GT5 spiking it around start/mid summer and then it possibly holding out with smaller releases as it heads into the holiday season, with the wild card of Agent (assuming it isn't delayed) possibly providing a strong exclusive for the holidays.

So what do you guys think?

Just added some comments to the sales numbers and added Eyepet to the Q1 line up. That second quarter looks terrible btw..

Around the Network

I think if they release GT5 in JP in March, and GOW3 in NA/EU in March, things will be ok. Then release GT5 in NA/Others in say June and that will provide adequate spacing.

On a side note, I really think Sony could move a lot of consoles in NA if they market the heck out of GOW3 come release time. That's the one big game that a lot of my xbot friends say they think is really cool.

ithis said:
I don't see Agent coming out next year. If they want to make an AAA game, that takes time. Either they are working on if for 2.5 years now, or it won't get released next year.

Also, I see MAG selling more, GOW 3 selling more, ModNation Racers selling less.

Plus, as there will be moar PS3s sold, and more buzz/hype in general, should translate to mor sales in general, so maybe a 15% increase in all estimates would apply.

You may very well be right. I'm usually pretty conservative with my estimations.

As for Agent, this is the team that made GTAIV. Depending on the scale of the game, and given that they will have been working on it for about 2 years (Since GTAIV release) come summer 2010, I think a holiday release next year may well be within the realms of possibility.

Dallinor said:
ithis said:

You may very well be right. I'm usually pretty conservative with my estimations.

As for Agent, this is the team that made GTAIV. Depending on the scale of the game, and given that they will have been working on it for about 2 years (Since GTAIV release) come summer 2010, I think a holiday release next year may well be within the realms of possibility.

They've also stated that it's a 2010 release. Though that doesn't usually mean very much.. just sayin'.

puffy, did you get, or are you planning to get, a PS3 to go along with your Wii?

The one game on that list that will either make or break my year is the Last Guardian, I hope it gets a 2010 release but I'm still twitchy about it.