By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The 360 should be redesigned for the NATAL lanuch.

A five-year-old console repackaged with similar graphical power and new fangled motion control? And compatible with the predecessor's entie library, too? That'd never work.

Around the Network

It sounds nice but it might lead to disaster. It is still unknown whether the RROD problem for 360 has been resolved, so a slimmer design might just cook the 360's insides from all the trapped heat.

d21lewis said:
A five-year-old console repackaged with similar graphical power and new fangled motion control? And compatible with the predecessor's entie library, too? That'd never work.

Indeed. Definitely needs more duct tape.

Seriously though, I think NATAL could be a great breath of fresh air for the system, and with a console redesign, Microsoft could really push the idea of a brand new 360 to the public.

Well...In an unconstrained fiscal environment, sure, a redesigned Xbox 360 would be great, but I would much rather prefer that M$ dedicate as much of the hardware funds to upgrading the console, rather than aesthetics. 

I'd like to see a combined CPU/GPU to reduce heat and power consumption

More HDD options or provide a Card slot for flash memory.  This would add questionable cost to the console, so perhaps the better option would be to instantiate the use of Portable HDD into XBL.  I understand the desire to ensure paid content is stored on the internal drive, but c’mon…free stuff?

M$ can’t really boost the internals of the console, since they need to ensure parity with older consoles, so if you give developers more options by boosting cache memory for example, they will push the games out of the range of older consoles…but with that said, M$ CAN do things, like stick a DVD drive that uses less power for example.

At its core, M$ is a software company, and they need to work to stream-line the OS for the console to improve its efficiency in getting things accomplished.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Maybe add more ram while they're at it. It's gonna need it with the scale of games that are coming.

Around the Network

Would be great to finally off that ferkin' brick!

M$ is a SW company, like many others have said, and it would be much harder and more expansive to produce than it was for SONY as they are a massive HW company.

I think M$ will try it, tho as they love to follow SONY. There are lots of hurdles like heat, power brick, RROD etc, etc that they will need to fix.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

It may happen. The Valhalla CGPU chipset is coming next year as well so it is a definite possibility. Not to mention the 360+ rumors from a couple of months ago.

Fufinu said:
Rebranding yes, but why also go for a slim design? Can't they go like for a graffiti version, a new stylized version, or something completely new and exciting. Copying the Sony pattern might not prove to be so hot. After all PS3 Slim sells so well largely because of the price cut and the great features it maintained.

Sega was slimming consoles long before Sony even thought about entering the market.

Why o why is Sony copying Sega pattern? 

For some of you it's like if gaming didn't exist before the ps1. Let me guess, born after 1995?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Didn't the 2600 even get a slim redesign (as in the official system, not revival all-in-one systems)?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Didn't the 2600 even get a slim redesign (as in the official system, not revival all-in-one systems)?

Indeed it did - just checked the wiki.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).