By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WTF, Wii Zapper gets PEGI-18 rating in UK?!!?

Source

Seariously wtf is wrong with the uk? First they still ban, not just give a high rating too, but ban Manhunt. Now the put a stupid 18+ rating on a plastic gun that doesn't even look like a gun.  Just stupid.

"Apparently, little plastic vaguely gun-shaped thingies are more dangerous than we thought. Over in the the U.K. the Wii Zapper has already received a PEGI-18 rating for when it is released next month. That seems kind of strange to do for a peripheral; even stranger when you consider that it comes bundled with Link’s Crossbow Training, which is mostly derived from a game that received a “T for Teen” rating in the U.S. I suppose most of the games that use the zapper might be rated “M” or “18+,” but I’d bet there’ll also be a few titles that have you shooting water balloons or somesuch. This is probably just an attempt to dissolve some youth gun culture. Me, I’ve still got a cap gun from when I was a kid that looks like a real revolver. I used to point it at cops and go, “Bang bang!” I got shot a lot growing up, but the lawsuits paid off well."

Around the Network

This is so ridiculously stupid that I'm going to assume either the news site you linked to, or the authorities have made a mistake here.

If this is true...I'm pretty sure Nintendo could appeal or whatever, showing and explaining both to the administration and the public that the Wii Zapper is just a peripheral to hold your Wiimote and nunchuck in a comfortable manner...it's hardly even shaped like a gun.

Ugh...I don't know...I wish we could go back to the laws of the 80s, when the ORIGINAL Zapper was released, which looked VERY MUCH like a gun...there were no complaints back then!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

OMG!
*hopes it's not true for the future of videogames*

You in the USA think you live in a nanny state? hah, come here and say that.

The UK has some serious gun/gang problems at the moment. They're really following in the footsteps of America. So they're probably very sensitive about anything that resembles a gun or anything even suggestive of violence being put into the hands of teenagers.

A 16 year old was shot dead only 2 days ago, only 8 weeks after 11 year old Rhys Jones was killed.

Around the Network

Shut up!! All you off! Shut up! BEFORE I KILL YOU ALL WITH MY DEADLY SPOON OF DESTRUCTION!!!! 

OMG!!! I can't believe you just posted that spoon. BAN HIM!!!

And it's a California spoon, it should be rated M.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I'm missing something with the spoon...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@spoon
Thats why I drink soup with my hands, am not old enough :S, Well they have different laws and stuff, I bet in uk there will be more manhunt games then you think ;)

If I see all those things that happen recently in Europe then I can understand this that people trying to ban everything that can be dangerous or trying to give it a 18 + rating. =/.