By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD charts show PS3 selling less than GameCube

Jandre02 said:
According to VG chartz, didnt the Xbox360 sell even less consoles at this point in its lifecycle?

It had 4,900,000 sold. Maybe im looking at it wrong but it says on October 22nd 2006 the Xbox360 had 4,900,000 sold. Why do people keep bringing up sales for the PS3 to bash it even though their console was doing worse.

Because what matters is the sales from nov 2006 till today for every system.  All the synchronised sales shows is that although the 360 is well ahead of the PS3 right now neither are exactly lighting up the charts.

Around the Network

Jandre Sony themselves made us have high expectations about the system with the whole "the first 5 million are gonna buy it even without games". The PlayStation brand is often connected to gaming in general and if i told you a couple of years ago that PS3 would sell 200k more than what the 360 would sell in the same timeframe you (not only you, everyone) would say i am at least crazy.

What the point of this thread?

PS3 still has NO MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, KZ2.
Only after these games release, PS3 will be a must have to every gamer.
For now, sales doesn`t matter, they effect nothing.

Capcom releasing Lost Planet on ps3. Namco releasing Etrenal sonata and Ace combat 6. Rockstar making L.A. Noire and new IP for ps3.

Poster Warning: Sales do matter. Every console sold is a big deal for every company and not just the console makers. They are important to the third-party devs. Please don't post without thinging.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

Capcom releasing Lost Planet on ps3. Namco releasing Etrenal sonata and Ace combat 6. Rockstar making L.A. Noire and new IP for ps3.

Gamecube still has NO Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart.
Only after these games release, Gamecube will be a must have to every gamer.

Namco releasing Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube. Capcom releasing Resident Evil and Viewtiful Joe. Silicone Knights making Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid for Gamecube.

CrazzyMan said:

So sales don't matter until 2009?

EDIT - HappySqurriel beat me to it, and did a better job too :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

HappySqurriel since when GC cost 500-600$?

NJ5 so you think it has some effect NOW?

My point, today's sales only show, that ps3 cost a lot, and it don`t have yet a must have games for many people, not just Mario, Zelda and mario fans. =)

And if you understimate 5 mln. FF fans, 5 mnl. MGS fans and 10 mln. GT fans.. well, then i feel sorry for you. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
HappySqurriel since when GC cost 500-600$?

NJ5 so you think it has some effect NOW?

My point, today's sales only show, that ps3 cost a lot, and it don`t have yet a must have games for many people, not just Mario, Zelda and mario fans. =)

And if you understimate 5 mln. FF fans, 5 mnl. MGS fans and 10 mln. GT fans.. well, then i feel sorry for you. =)

I'll let you in on a little secret as to why today's sales matter ...

In most businesses when they're making products that won't be sold for years down the road they have applied mathematicians, statisticians or actuaries create complicated mathematical models to project the market conditions when the product will be released. In the videogame market, processing power and non-gaming features have never really made a difference in the sales of a product and are unlikely to be included in any major way into these mathematical models.

Now it is very likely that they have multiple models and the one they were using to predict the launch of the system used brand value, and current market share, to estimate initial sales and determine an appropriate level of support; price would have probably been a factor but when the initial support calculation was made they probably estimated a price of $300 or $400. Being that the PS2 was a monster, and their price esitmates may have been wrong, they provided heavy support for the PS3 initially.

Right now these same publishers are probably switching to another model and feeding the PS3, XBox 360 and Wii's sales into this model; current sales of the PS3 will not produce favourable estimates of system sales two years from now, which will impact the level of support the PS3 receives, and the PS3 may sell poorly simply because it has no games.

Wait a minute, so since the Xbox sold more in its second year with games that means its a success and the PS3 is a failure? Are you all saying that the Xbox is a success or the PS3 is a failure.

First year the PS3 sold more consoles, with less games at a higher price point.

And being well ahead happens when you release first doesnt it? Isnt that a given? How many PS2's were sold first year? (JW, I really dont know.)

I think its funny that the Sony bashing continues. Is this one of those underdog things going on here? You all know that the Xbox is made by MSFT right?

And NJ5 I think thats more like early 08. But according to another fanboy, 05-06 didnt matter so I guess we cut out timeframes to make the console sales look better right? Find something real to bash like...umm...hmm.
Price? no not anymore i guess
Games? HL2, PES, Haze,Uncharted, RC, Assassins Creed, COD4, Guitar Hero 3, Rockband, Warhawk, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Skate, Motorstorm, Resistance, Ninja Gaiden, Oblivion. Nope nope.

SALES oooh wait, the PS3 has sold more in the same time frame. PS3 bashing just aint what it used to be huh.

Theres no reason to bash either console, but it seems that if you dont bash the PS3 you start to realize what a waste the Xbox360 is, even after 2 years. All it is is an Xbox that upscales graphics, with Xbox Live.

The Wii is cool though lol.

Well i would say at least half of the people who are planning to buy GT5 already have a PS3, and it will probably be more than 3/4 before the game releases.

Jandre02 said:
Wait a minute, so since the Xbox sold more in its second year with games that means its a success and the PS3 is a failure? Are you all saying that the Xbox is a success or the PS3 is a failure.

First year the PS3 sold more consoles, with less games at a higher price point.

And being well ahead happens when you release first doesnt it? Isnt that a given? How many PS2's were sold first year? (JW, I really dont know.)

I think its funny that the Sony bashing continues. Is this one of those underdog things going on here? You all know that the Xbox is made by MSFT right?

And NJ5 I think thats more like early 08. But according to another fanboy, 05-06 didnt matter so I guess we cut out timeframes to make the console sales look better right? Find something real to bash like...umm...hmm.
Price? no not anymore i guess
Games? HL2, PES, Haze,Uncharted, RC, Assassins Creed, COD4, Guitar Hero 3, Rockband, Warhawk, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Skate, Motorstorm, Resistance, Ninja Gaiden, Oblivion. Nope nope.

SALES oooh wait, the PS3 has sold more in the same time frame. PS3 bashing just aint what it used to be huh.

Theres no reason to bash either console, but it seems that if you dont bash the PS3 you start to realize what a waste the Xbox360 is, even after 2 years. All it is is an Xbox that upscales graphics, with Xbox Live.

The Wii is cool though lol.

It depends on how you calculate it ...

Sony shipped over 10 Million consoles in the initial 12 months that the PS2 existed; in that timeframe the PS2 was only on the market in North America and Europe for a couple of months. In its initial 12 months in each region Sony shipped over 4 Million PS2 systems in Japan, over 8 Million PS2 systems in North America, and over 4 Million units in Europe; for a total of (roughly) 16 Million systems.