By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD charts show PS3 selling less than GameCube

cool48 said:
@ TheBigFatJ

The PS3 will outsell the 360 this Christmas in terms of monthly sales.

Wrong.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
kber81 said:
This the very last moment to post such dumb topic. After holidays it will be clear PS3's future is much more brighter. It will be even more clearer after March... anyway have fun.

Kber81 that just won't cut it. "Wait until..." has touted for the PS3 too many times, each time the getting pushed back when the reason of the moment doesn't pan out. I wish I could find some of my N64 era or early Gamecube era posts. That had the same ridiculous logic. I am older and wiser now though.

Ah, good times.

"Mario 64 will sell all by itself! People will buy Nintendo based on name brand!"

"Zelda Ocarina of Time will flatten the PS1 and Saturn! "

"The Gamecube is Nintendo in prime form, baby!"

"Every old Metroid fan will come back for Metroid Prime and buy a Gamecube just for that game!"

"Mario Sunshine's gonna own!"

Yeeeeaaaah, good times *wipes away tear* 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Darc Requiem said:
kber81 said:
This the very last moment to post such dumb topic. After holidays it will be clear PS3's future is much more brighter. It will be even more clearer after March... anyway have fun.

Kber81 that just won't cut it. "Wait until..." has touted for the PS3 too many times, each time the getting pushed back when the reason of the moment doesn't pan out. I wish I could find some of my N64 era or early Gamecube era posts. That had the same ridiculous logic. I am older and wiser now though.

I keep on thinking that.  Man, these kids sound like a less gramatically correct version of me in the early '64 days, when I couldn't wake up and see that Nintendo had shot themselves in the foot with their formatting choice, long gaps between good releases, and terrible third party politics.  In retrospect, its a testament to their name recognition, software divisions and second parties that the system sold as well as it did.  I think I was past that phase by the year after OoT... So when I was 14.

TWRoO said:
The Gamecube did well in the US compared to how it did in Eu

if you put all three regions together the PS3 would be ahead by about 500k worldwide (yes there is data for GC 'other' on the charts)

nope, for whatever reason if you do all regions the others does not show up for gamecube but it does for ps3.  If you do all 3 seperately you will see what i mean.  The GC is still outselling PS3 even in WW sales, gap might be closing now though.  Even in Europe it is tracking almost even, but it helps that GC had a holiday season boost.  GC is still tracking ahead in japan and usa.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Griffin said:
This is really great news for Sony, PS3= $600, GC=$150 and they sell the same. I'm truly stunned you people think this is bad news.

Tricksy hobbitses, doubles Gollums postses.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Oh! OOoo! I remember proclaiming that FF7 would fail because it was on the PS1.

"Loading times will bore everyone!"
"Who cares about FMVs? See them once, and you're bored with them!"
"People expect Final Fantasy on Nintendo's systems, they'll never buy the newcomer!"
"Ewwww the 3D graphics suck!" (Personally, I can't look at FF7 anymore from a technical standpoint.)

As you can guess, I ate some industrial-strength crow after FF7 was released...

Griffin said:
This is really great news for Sony, PS3= $600, GC=$150 and they sell the same. I'm truly stunned you people think this is bad news.

First, the GC launched at $200, not $150.

Second, Nintendo was making money on the hardware.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Whoa, I wedged between a mod's double post.

IBTD (In Between The Double!)

cool48 said:
Gamecube sold plenty at the beginnng and died off quickly, PS3 started off rather slowly and now it'll start picking up speed. If you compare consoles WW and align the launch dates PS3 is selling better than what the GameCube was selling this long after it's launch date.

Crystal balls are AWESOME!!! Where can I pick one up?!?!?

Just kiss the tip.

Griffin said:

Reason:

Wii=$250

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)