By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is gaming, Sony/Microsoft are questionable.

bdbdbd said:
@Ail: DS however affected. Notice the 2002-2004 decline before coming back to 2002 level in 2005.

The number of customers isn't growing. That's when the market starts to shrink and companies look for growth by:
A: Growth in profit by producing a product for cheaper.
B: Growth in revenue by selling a product for a higher price.

The 2005 growth is actually the 360 release impact.

Microsoft went from having a very small impact to selling hundred millions of hardware and software in a few months...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Rol: The recession of 1990:s and the late 90:s economic growth, ETA aswell as the breakup of Soviet Union, have driven the sharp growth in Europe.

@dharh: Yes, the games. Not online or HDD. Look, the more you try to talk your way of it, the more you point out that it's about the games, not the features in themselves.
In any case, all three current gen consoles share the two specific features, so it's rather pointless to keep arguing about their innovative value.

Yes, there were two camera controllers last gen, Dreameye and its ripoff, Eyetoy.
You're obviously trying to build an argument here, but they about as much in common with Wii Remote (and nunchuck) as Balance Board and Wii Remote.

Yes my argument is I get great value out of those things you deride as having no innovative value. And _of course_ its about the games, and my argument is I cannot find the games I want to play on the Wii. You deride my gaming preference, I meanwhile just deride the fact that I can't _find_ games I want to play on a certain platform.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

bdbdbd said:
@Ail: DS however affected. Notice the 2002-2004 decline before coming back to 2002 level in 2005.

The number of customers isn't growing. That's when the market starts to shrink and companies look for growth by:
A: Growth in profit by producing a product for cheaper.
B: Growth in revenue by selling a product for a higher price.

PS1 + N64 + Genesis < PS2 + Xbox+ Dreamcast + GC < PS3 + Xbox360 + Wii ( will be when the gen is over) in the US.

So it looks to me like the numbers of customers is indeed growing in the US..........

Fab_GS said:

@dharh: I'm not arguing about your preference in games. I have mine and you have yours. And that's fine with me.

Yes, you are getting value out of the features. And they are the features that all the current gen consoles share in common.
But, the features already existed last gen, which makes them incremental innovations this gen. Why they sucked last gen, was the bad software support. This gen has better software support for the features, so you benefit more of them.

@Ail: Raising average price of the software sold?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

@Ail: Umh. Without a doubt Wii, 360 and PS3 will surpass last gen, since Wiis purpose is to drive growth and 360 failures cause rebuys and due to difference in the consoles, Wii+360/PS3 households inflate the number.

PS2 had high failure rate that turns into rebuys and Dreamcast died at early stage, so that inflates the number by people who bought some other console.

What you should be looking at is household penetration and population growth. Also, NA is only one market. Actually it's the only western market with expected population growth.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@Ail: Umh. Without a doubt Wii, 360 and PS3 will surpass last gen, since Wiis purpose is to drive growth and 360 failures cause rebuys and due to difference in the consoles, Wii+360/PS3 households inflate the number.

PS2 had high failure rate that turns into rebuys and Dreamcast died at early stage, so that inflates the number by people who bought some other console.

What you should be looking at is household penetration and population growth. Also, NA is only one market. Actually it's the only western market with expected population growth.

The huge majority of the failure are covered by warranties and are not counted as rebuys( or listed in NPD or VGCHartz)...

Microsoft didn't set aside 1 billion$ for that problem to  spend it on Bill Gates retirement...

NA is the biggest single market, , saying it's only one is like saying we should ignore Wall Mart for sales....

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
Khuutra said:
leo-j said:
The gaming industry was shrikning? Really now?

I think - think - that it was in relation to the growth of the overall population. I could be wrong on that point, though, as I have never seen Nintendo's presentations myself.

And people say Nintendo don't spin.

Seriously? Relative to the growth of the world's population? Considering no more than 5% of the Earth's population even play games....

Don't take what I'm saying as gospel: like I said, I don't know. You'd have to hunt down their presentations, I don't even know where to look.

I'm having trouble finding the presentation as well, but I remember some of it and I found this http://ds.ign.com/articles/664/664482p2.html.

During the 8-bit generation, household penetration was 31%  The next generation was right around 30%  So was the next.  In fact, every generation has had right around 30% household penetration.  The only reason for growth in the industry is an increase in the number of households, and increasing popularity of duplicate ownership.  This is all for America only.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

@Ail: Only if the console breaks down while still under warranty. As we all know, this isn't the case. I don't speculate with the number, but it does effect the CI.

Nobody is ignoring the biggest single market. The biggest single market experiences population growth, which is an anomaly in the western countries and this population growth drives growth in customer numbers, while the increase in games retail price drives revenue.

And, i'd recall there was a study about kids playing games less than they did earlier. Which means that it's going to effect to the number of customers in the near future.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

theRepublic said:

I'm having trouble finding the presentation as well, but I remember some of it and I found this http://ds.ign.com/articles/664/664482p2.html.

During the 8-bit generation, household penetration was 31%  The next generation was right around 30%  So was the next.  In fact, every generation has had right around 30% household penetration.  The only reason for growth in the industry is an increase in the number of households, and increasing popularity of duplicate ownership.  This is all for America only.

That is spin after a matter. I mean, revenue is what matters. If the market is more energized the lack of growth in terms of overall population is not that distressing, unless we're looking in the very long term where it is disturbing, which i suppose Nintendo could be doing, but the short-term revenue growth is enough for most.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.