By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - For older gamers (30+) - Zelda OOT

Ah I can still remember it. I didn't think I would continue gaming after Snes, and so I didn't get the N64 when it released. I loved playing Mario at the local toy store, but I didn't think I would get it.
Then, for some reason I decided to get a N64 after christmas '98. I wanted Mario 64.
Then, for some other reason I picked up Zelda: OoT. I don't know why actually. Before that, I'd only played Zelda II, and my copy came with a spanish manual, and the game was in English so I didn't understand anything...But, I bought Zelda, and...wow, just wow.

I played Mario the first day, and next day I thought, why not try Zelda? Omg, it was awsome. Ah, what a feeling. And ouch, how damn hard it was. I ran like three laps around my treehouse before I got used to the 3D. I actually got lost in Kokiri village...and I don't know how long it took for me to find the sword. Yeah, I had some serious trouble making my way through the game. But it was so fantastic that it didn't bother me. Best game I'd played, and it still is the game I love the most.

Around the Network

I'm 19 and I remember playing it for the first time when it was first released. I may only have been eight but how could I forget!

It was just a magical thing. The entire world just felt so real and alive.

My most memorable part of that game was continuously noticing a giant rock that always looked out of place. You just knew something could be done to it. Every upgrade and melody I got I went back and tried using it against that rock. After arrows and bombs failed I started to ignore it until I travelled through time and aquired the............. GOLDEN GAUNTLETS. That rock was like 60 ft high, I bombed and shot the shit out of it. I played tune upon tune to it and then Link just casually walks upto it, picks it up and tosses it aside like it was nothing.

I don't think any game has made my jaw drop like that.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I rented it first, which you might argue takes some of the magic out. My most vivid memory of that first playthrough was being very frustrated trying to get to the third dungeon.

Of course, I also remember running around the forest village and Hyrule castle town for the first time, both of those were great. And King Dodongo!

I'm 22 and it was the best gaming experience i have ever had. Best christmas gift evar!!!!!!

1   2   3  not only you and me.

Livin' in sin is the new thing.

Around the Network

I'm 25, and I can say that I agree wholeheartedly. I've not felt that magical feeling since, from begining to end the Greatest Game of All Time. Things that stood out for me was arming myself with the Kokiri Sword, Deku Sheild, and entering the Deku tree, Hyrule field, Sneaking into the caslte, I mean I can go on and on.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Yea, it was pure magic. I didn't own a N64 at the time and a friend of mine had bought it and told me I had to check this game out. Nine hours later I had an ear to ear grin that wouldn't go away. I worked my ass off the nex two weeks and bought it. At the time there was nothing like it and no game has had the same effect since.

Haha I'm only 18 and I am an original N64 owner. I haven't had the same feeling with any other game, but I have had similar experiences. I never will though, when you are so young and easily impressed it is impossible to reach the same threshold again.

I think you went a little high on the age range. I'm 24 and I've got my original gold cartridge. I remember the beginning of that game being absolutely magical. Exploring the forest village and the forest temple were amazing.

I love that whole game. It is an absolute classic.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I remember figuring out how to get into the basement of the Deku Tree by accident - I had sustained damage from a Skulltula, and leaped out from the highest ledge to grab at the heart there. Then I hit the web on the edge and nearly fell through. It occurred to me that if I hit the center I might get through it, so I climbed up and did it again. Broke through, of course, and it was like the world of the Deku Tree opened up.

It was probably the most ingenious bit of game design I remember.