By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia or Star Ocean

A bunch of the JRPGs are pretty cheap used on Amazon. LO looks to be under $20, Blue Dragon about $10.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

1. Tales of Vesperia (9.4\10)
2. Lost Odyssey (8.2\10)
3. Star Ocean 4 (7.0\10)

Vesperia > LO >> Star Ocean

Vesperia has great combat, decent characters, good story.

LO has okay combat, okay characters, good story.

Star Ocean has an epic combat system, but terrible, awful, painful, horrible characters and story. It also has massive technical issues and enough drawn out and boring cutscenes to make Kojima cry.

kowenicki said:
LO

LO

LO

LO!!!!

dont consider the others over this... there really is no comparison

Please don't listen to Kowenicki. Lost Odyssey is everything that's wrong with JRPGs (cinematics and story over gameplay). If you want a fun game, get Tales of Vesperia. If you want a fun movie, get Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Lost Odyssey is by far the best one in my opinion.

Around the Network

ToV is one of the best games this gen. I never played a Tales game before and I became a big fan after this.

It really comes down to preference. If you looking for something with a bit of old school flare go with Lost Odyssey. If you want a game with a great story and tons of fleshed out characters go with Tales of Vesperia. If you wanting a JRPG with one of the best battle systems ever with gorgeous graphics to boot go with Star Ocean:TLH. I own them all and love em all.

On a side note as for The Last Remnant I only played it with the game installed on my harddrive but when I played it the only issues were the occassional popin pop out graphics (nore the UE3's fault here) and somewhat long load times (keep in mind installing the game helps eleviate both a bit). I enjoyed the story and gameplay in The Last Remnant so I would say you should give it a shot as well.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Go for Lost Odyssey...One of my favorite JRPG of all time.

kowenicki said:
@montana... you are in a minority...

I probably am, and that's exactly why the JRPG genre is declining.

kowenicki said:
@monatana

thats a rather arrogant statement.... I could say that it started declining when they moved towards the gameplay you prefer...

Dam good one.  I'm a old fashioned JRPG gamer who prefer turn base with a great story.