By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the "rrod" gone?

I'm kind of considering purchasing an xbox 360 in the future for certain exclusive games like gears of war 2, alan wake and maybe halo 3. As well as multiplatforms like splinter cell conviction and left4dead. But part of the reason why I'm hesitant of buying an xbox 360 is its reliability.

Have they permanantly fixed the problem yet? Or is it still a big issue?

Around the Network

No. They can never fix anything completely..but revisions have made it much more stable so that there are far fewer happenings of the problem now. They're probably just as stable as the competition now or close.

The percentage that corresponds to the number of 360's bricking seems to fluctuate between 10%-50% so if your lucky you'll have a 90% chance of not acquiring a faulty 360. And remember it's not just the RROD where the 360's break down there's other problems as well but they are not quite as bad as the RROD.

Every piece of electronic equipment can break, so in that sense, no, it's not gone.

But has it been greatly reduced? Yes.

Just buy a new console and you'll be fine. The newer ones have the RRoD greatly reduced and you will have a three year warranty.

And I swear, the first person to post a link to that ridiculous Gamespot survey will be shot or something not pleasant (at least in my mind)...

twesterm said:
Every piece of electronic equipment can break, so in that sense, no, it's not gone.

Just buy a new console and you'll be fine. The newer ones have the RRoD greatly reduced and you will have a three year warranty.

And I swear, the first person to post a link to that ridiculous Gamespot survey will be shot or something not pleasant (at least in my mind)...

The survey may have been a bit biased at first. But it does prove that the xbox 360 is still the most unreliable console of this generation. But I assume that's just for the older versions (20gb model).

Around the Network

If you purchase a new Xbox 360 with Jasper revision you will be very safe. Odds of it failing are probably about equal to a PS3 or Wii failing and much less than that of older PS3's or 360's.

WheelStriker said:
twesterm said:

The survey may have been a bit biased at first. But it does prove that the xbox 360 is still the most unreliable console of this generation. But I assume that's just for the older versions (20gb model).

No, it doesn't prove anything because it's a completely innacurate sample. 

1. You don't even know that people are telling the truth (because your typical Nintendo/Sony fanboy will just say they got one and your MS fanboy will just say they never did).
  2. The people that are angry are the most likely to answer a random survey like that.

I repeat-- that survey people keep waving around as some kind of proof or even educated guess is absolute garbage.  You might as well just make a random thread and take the first 25 posters word for it and call that definitive because it would be exactly the same.

And while the launch and near launch 360's were without a doubt the most unreliable, the new ones I would say are actually more reliable than the PS3.  Of course I'm going off of people I actually know so this is no more definitive than the above mentioned survey, but I know of a lot more people with broken PS3's than broken 360's that were bought within the last two years.

If you buy it new, chances are you'll receive a high quality machine that has a very very small chance of malfunctioning via RRoD. Even if it does, you'll be covered for 3 years.

I wouldn't suggest buying used though. The older models are the ones with the infamous 33-50% failure rate

LOL you're always constantly trolling Microsoft/360 news/threads. Why would you suddenly want one?

This is just a stealth troll RROD thread.

Seece said:
LOL you're always constantly trolling Microsoft/360 news/threads. Why would you suddenly want one?

This is just a stealth troll RROD thread.

No its not.