By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP-Go (30,000 First Week Sales) A Flop ?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Petty horrible launch numbers, and they'll only get worse with word of mouth I'm afraid. What the the Virtual Boy sell at launch I wonder?

It will be the other way around, it will get better with word of mouth. In the gaming industry we say its not good because it offers the same of the other one but cant have disc anymore. But in the portable multimedia player industry (ipod, zune etc) its neat and at a good price point considering you can have a lot of beautiful and good games on your mp3/mp4 player.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
letsdance said:
Why all of a sudden after launch people had SW type expectations? Just a few weeks ago people were saying PSP Go won't sell. Now it sells more than the 3000 did last week... 30k is hardly a flop.

Because it was a launch day system and for launch day that is very low. (the PSP launched in December 2004...)

Esp now that some UK retailers already lowered the price since they refuse to order any more units. (most retailers do that until they run low on stock... not exactly unusual)

I am fairly sure Sony sent out like any good console maker would shipped at least  200+ thousand units or more but only sells 30,000? (you forgot "in the US".. kinda major omission, wouldn't you say?)

even the total flop GBA Micro did better. PSPgo is in a very similar situation. (not really... Nintendo had a monopoly at the time, and it didn't offer distinct new features, other than a smaller size.  Also, the GBA micro sold well its opening day.  It only "flopped" later because Nintendo's own DS trounced it in the rest of the world)

Procrastinato said:
Ryudo said:
letsdance said:
Why all of a sudden after launch people had SW type expectations? Just a few weeks ago people were saying PSP Go won't sell. Now it sells more than the 3000 did last week... 30k is hardly a flop.

Because it was a launch day system and for launch day that is very low. (the PSP launched in December 2004...)

Esp now that some UK retailers already lowered the price since they refuse to order any more units. (most retailers do that until they run low on stock... not exactly unusual)

I am fairly sure Sony sent out like any good console maker would shipped at least  200+ thousand units or more but only sells 30,000? (you forgot "in the US".. kinda major omission, wouldn't you say?)

even the total flop GBA Micro did better. PSPgo is in a very similar situation. (not really... Nintendo had a monopoly at the time, and it didn't offer distinct new features, other than a smaller size.  Also, the GBA micro sold well its opening day.  It only "flopped" later because Nintendo's own DS trounced it in the rest of the world)

What does the PSP 1 launching in 2004 have ANYTHING to do with my first sentence since it was refering to the PSPgo?

#2 Um no at least not in the US,I have worked in a lot of retail even was a manager at Gamestop for a year. When a Price was lowered and we stopped ordering a product it was because it was not selling well to even bother to continue selling it.

#3 you forgot that like PSPgo Micro was recieving lots of negetive feed back before and after launch be cause it gave no reason to go from GBA SP to Micro or just spend the extra cash for a DS.

PSPgo is more expensive than a Wii or 360,A hand held should NEVER be more expensive than a home console.

Last I know how people think when walking into a store as most of them don't follow joystiq or IGN whatever,just what they see on shelf. They act confused when they can't find a reason to pay more for something that has less games and offers very little for the extra money.

30k is pretty pathetic.

Ryudo said:
Procrastinato said:
Ryudo said:
letsdance said:

What does the PSP 1 launching in 2004 have ANYTHING to do with my first sentence since it was refering to the PSPgo?

#2 Um no at least not in the US,I have worked in a lot of retail even was a manager at Gamestop for a year. When a Price was lowered and we stopped ordering a product it was because it was not selling well to even bother to continue selling it.

#3 you forgot that like PSPgo Micro was recieving lots of negetive feed back before and after launch be cause it gave no reason to go from GBA SP to Micro or just spend the extra cash for a DS.

PSPgo is more expensive than a Wii or 360,A hand held should NEVER be more expensive than a home console.

Last I know how people think when walking into a store as most of them don't follow joystiq or IGN whatever,just what they see on shelf. They act confused when they can't find a reason to pay more for something that has less games and offers very little for the extra money.

Come on guys, stop comparing the PSPgo to normal video game console. Its an hybrid, multimedia player gaming platform. The old PSP was too big to be a good mp3 player or movie player to carry around. Smaller technology in this case is not cheaper than bigger. I dont get it, the PSPgo is so much better if you need to take it everywhere, and if you wanna play at home you can connect a PS3 controller to it. If my PSP wouldnt be on custom firmware I would switch right now. People are paying 150$-200$ for multimedia player like Ipod that doesnt have a screen as big, is not as bright, cant connect to the internet and use skype, play less file extension, are more hassle to configure and doesnt have a library of hundreads of games that look very good. I mean they could sell that 150$ without the function to even play games lol.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
letsdance said:

Because it was a launch day system and for launch day that is very low.

Esp now that some UK retailers already lowered the price since they refuse to order any more units.

I am fairly sure Sony sent out like any good console maker would shipped at least  200+ thousand units or more but only sells 30,000?

even the total flop GBA Micro did better. PSPgo is in a very similar situation.

The PSP Go is just targetting the current people interested in the PSP... they aren't marketing towards a different type of customer... so why would it increase sales? It shouldn't. The Go should only be there to intice people who are already interested in the PSP to buy the higher end model. There is no evidence to suggest that it should increase PSP sales.

LOL..sony is happy with the results...or so we are lead to believe, and that's what matters. BTW, has anybody here actually bought the thing, and took it for a spin?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
LOL..sony is happy with the results...or so we are lead to believe, and that's what matters. BTW, has anybody here actually bought the thing, and took it for a spin?

YesSomeone even made a thread about how much they love it ROBOTCHICKEN

heruamon said:

I got one.  Its awesome.

I used to carry a bag around with my PSP-2000, and several UMD games (and some other junk).  Now I can ditch the man-purse, and have everything in my pocket.  Big win in my book.

It feels more comfortable to use as well.  Was worth it to me.

Don't we already have two threads on this topic already?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...