By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why I think Natal will do below expectations

Hyams said:
JaggedSac said:
I personally don't give a rats ass how Natal affects 360 sales. But I am interested in playing dodgeball with a team of friends over Live against another team of dodgeball players. That would be EPIC with 1:1 motion and space mapping.

Why don't you just .... y'know ... buy a ball and play? I imagine it'd be cheaper than buying Natal, not to mention more realistic.

Lets ask that for everyone who love Wii Sports.  Hell, lets ask that for anyone who plays any sports video game.

And I sure as fuck don't know enough people to get a good game of dodgeball on.  Especially at my age.  Plus, I am sure they can add dangers to the arena, such a spikes needed to be jumped over, holes in the ground, etc.  I sure as hell don't want to do that in real life.

Around the Network
gamelover2000 said:

first please notice this is NOT a troll thread, I believe Natal will be a great product when its released and I believe MS is capable of making such a product.

This is why I think it will not do as well as people think: Personally I know over 9 people who have bought wii's, 5 of these NEVER play with it anymore and 2 of them barely play it. The thing is most people always keeps saying that NATAL will make Xbox 360 sell like no console has ever done, the thing is, I doubt it.. Many people experienced the Wii and VERY few actually think its as phenominal as everyone said it was (out of people I know) I don't think many casuals are waiting for a next Wii mote (Natal or Sony's wand).

I therefore think Natal will do BELOW expectations

please no flaming, if you agree/disagree give proper reasoning

Sorry, but for somebody who evidently doesn't have a 360...I'm not sure how this isn't a troll thread.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Because those aren't 1:1. Someone who can't play football can still play Fifa, someone who can't skateboard can still play Tony Hawks, someone who can't race can still play Gran Turismo.

They may have the same 'theme' as the real sports, but they play completely differently. They are a different experience to the real thing. The same goes for all the Wii sport titles - Wii golf doesn't play like real golf, Wii boxing isn't like real boxing, Wii tennis doesn't play anything like real tennis, and so on and so on.

What you seem to want is dodge ball, only with a virtual ball instead of a real one. If the game mechanics are no different to the real thing, what's the point? What actual value would Natal dodge ball have over real dodge ball?

Is Natal going to boost the Xbox 360 to the number one console this gen...nope...but the technology will be centrally integrated into the next console, and imho, Natal will be to Nexbox, what XBL was to the 360. Natal isn't just motion control, it brings us closer to the promise of Virtual Reality gaming...M$ is probably going to expand the tech well pass gaming into many other applications...time will tell.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

We wont really know what to "expect" until we have numbers and actual info.

But as far as Natal essentially ushering in a new gen of gaming, i dont think it will simply because i feel its far too ambitious. It needs to have a VERY accessible pricepoint as well as very accessible interface, like the Wii did to usher in mass motion controls.

From what ive seen and read, the price wont be accessible for mass market, and i dont see the actual product, needing a large amount of space as well as ideal mounting position, to be easy to buy, set up and play for a large mass market appeal.

Just my opinion, but it seems far too ambitious at this point.

amazing idea, very cool tech, but game changer and revolution seem to be out of reach at this point.

I just simply cant see MSFT selling natal for less than $150. For gods sake they got off charging $100 bucks for a wi fi dongle and 120 gb harddrive for $150

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360harddrive120GB/

MSFT's business model has been to get people to get the console, then rape them with enormous prices for essential and or nearly essential upgrades over the long run.

My guess is Natal will be packaged only with a new SKU next fall for $400 for a good long while, because i dont see how consumers will justify the cost of other accessories on the shelf next to natal for nearly the same price.

Around the Network

I know it is old PS2 stuff but it shows what the PS3 could do with the Magic Ice Cream Cone if the PS2 was capable of that kind of stuff with much older tech. Hmm, I honestly don't expect Natal or the Ice Cream Cone to do THAT much. I think both will move a moderate number of consoles for their respective companies but IMO it won't be massive. Too late for this generation.

robbo918 said:

I know it is old PS2 stuff but it shows what the PS3 could do with the Magic Ice Cream Cone if the PS2 was capable of that kind of stuff with much older tech. Hmm, I honestly don't expect Natal or the Ice Cream Cone to do THAT much. I think both will move a moderate number of consoles for their respective companies but IMO it won't be massive. Too late for this generation.

Considering that we've only seen tech demos, I'm not sure how one can say it's too late...

heruamon said:
robbo918 said:

Considering that we've only seen tech demos, I'm not sure how one can say it's too late...

I think these videos are funny.  Sony has an exisiting peripheral that has most (or all even!) of the functionality of NATAL, and instead of you know, telling THE WORLD via there marketing department, they leave it up to you tube fan videos to spread the word... HAHAHA - BRILLIANT!

ON topic, Natal is going to perform below...whose expectation exactly?  The rabid 360 forum fanboy?  OK!

Like I said, it would be quite difficult to get together 10 people to play dodgeball at my age. Secondly, I could get quite a nice bit of exercise in my living room doing. Thirdly, the online aspects of this game could rock hard. With live's infrastructure, world championships could be held monthly with player competing to get on their countries team. And lastly, it would be quite easy to add a video game flair to it. Floor obstacle, power ups, super throws, crazy arenas, etc. Your lack of vision is appalling.

robbo918 said:

You do understand that this is trolling... don't post this bullshit... the is a diffrence between 2D and 3D... I'm sure you wont argue that FF6 and FF7 are two diffrent kinds of games because of it...