By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has lost the core market this generation

Huh, thats funny, you make alot of sense, but I dont think you're completely right. I've been gaming since 1986 and for someone to tell me I'm a "casual" because I think the wii is a better overall system than say, my 360 is just crazy. I got my 360 because I kept hearing how thats where the hardcore games were. I heard that shit so much that eventually I said what the heck and got one. I got to say the 360 is an awsome system but there's more than enough "hardcore" games on the wii that people seem to think. who is this hardcore crowd you speak of?

Wichdog69

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Mass market is about lemmings and sheeps..."

Projection. The core flocks around things that the gaming industry touts "HD! Blu-ray! Online!" The mass market has not flocked to any of those, and Nintendo made the Wii to conform to them. They did not conform to the Wii.

Before claiming Nintendo is doing so well with the market market you should compare the adoption rate of the Wii with the one of the IPod or the IPhone. ( or even Blu Ray...)

The curves don't exactly move the same way.

Lets face it many are touting how much Nintendo is innovating but what innovation exactly have they released since Wii Fit ?

Answer : WSR and soon Wii Fit+. Go innovation ! Oh and a new Mario ( which ain't exactly a new franchise...)

This isn't the first time that I am seeing this "innovation" argument. It's quite new and somewhat strange. Apparently the people who used to complain about too many Wii peripherals are now criticizing the lack of them.

There's a lot of things which still haven't been done with the Wii and a new Mario is one of them. You shouldn't mock a game that will beat Modern Warfare 2 in lifetime sales.

I'm not asking about new peripherals. But just you know about new games, instead of rehashing the same 15 years old franchises ( which seem to be what the fans want when you see how many people are asking for the next Mario or Zelda anyway).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Projection. The core flocks around things that the gaming industry touts "HD! Blu-ray! Online!" The mass market has not flocked to any of those, and Nintendo made the Wii to conform to them. They did not conform to the Wii.

Before claiming Nintendo is doing so well with the market market you should compare the adoption rate of the Wii with the one of the IPod or the IPhone. ( or even Blu Ray...)

Lets face it many are touting how much Nintendo is innovating but what innovation exactly have they released since Wii Fit ?

Answer : WSR and soon Wii Fit+. Go innovation ! Oh and a new Mario ( which ain't exactly a new franchise...)

Not only did you not address my comment, your points here are still wrong.

50+ million sales isn't doing well with the mass market (assuming you made a typo)? Bull. It's had a slowdown (like even the PS2 had at points). That doesn't mean they aren't doing well with the market. It does mean the mass market aren't sheep, or that wouldn't be happening. Nintendo is working on ways to please them, not making the mass market conform to what they make.

iPod took a few years to take off, so it doesn't have the same curve. iPhone was boosted in attention by the iPod. That would be comparable to the next Wii. Blu-ray is still niche. It's not mass market. It's had growth, but its best titles would be great on the Dreamcast, not compared to DVD sales. Blu-ray can't be compared when it's not mass market.

Innovation isn't relevant to this at all, and you're lying about the defintion (hint, it doesn't mean new franchises). It seems you're just trying to throw Wii hate talking points rather than actually discuss things.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

18 years from now CoD will be fondly remembered and you'll be able to download it on the Samsung Pal-station Network, meanwhile NSMB 2 will sell 50 million.

That's Nintendo, that's core.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

This isn’t 2007 anymore, simply pointing to the Wii’s phenomenal sales is no longer enough to justify the console. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console that can move third party software. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console with serious third party support. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console with the games you want.

Most of you who are content with the Wii’s current status are either casual gamers or most likely people who prefer the 360/PS3 as their console of choice and see the Wii as only having to be a novelty supplemental console in order to make you happy. Or perhaps you’re one of those of the defeatist attitude of accepting having to own three consoles every generation to compensate for the fact that no one console has done it right.

For every impressive release for the Wii there are six more on every other platform that can be pointed out; and you can boast about Monster Hunter 3 when it sells as well as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, you can boast about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles when it sells as much as the Final Fantasy Main series, you can boast about Dragon Quest X when it sells as much as VIII did on the PS2, you can boast about Tales of Graces when it sells as much as Tales of Vesperia or any of its PS2 predecessors. Until any of that happens, each of these exclusives will just serve as lessons to third party developers of what console not to give support. The Wii has for the most part lost all face with the conventional gaming industry. Third Party games are dying in sales on the Wii. Support for the Wii has stagnated and shows little sign of improving no matter how many niche titles that will be lucky to break 500k you bring up. Right now the PSP is getting more worthwhile games than the Wii and is its greatest threat in stealing Japanese third party support.

If you’re content with the way things are for the Wii, that’s one thing, but to argue that things don’t need to get any better or can’t be improved is just asinine.

Nintendo is going to need to expand its home console’s demographic appeal and third party viability next generation or else they could very well lose what foothold they have in casual gaming as well. Preach the glory of Blue Ocean and disruption all you want, but its only a matter of time before the competition finds that balance between blue and red waters and the value of Nintendo’s disruption as long since been negated by the growing appeal of HD gaming as the mainstay of conventional gaming this generation.

The point here is not doom & gloom. The point here is not to bash the Wii or blame Nintendo. The point is to acknowledge that Nintendo needs to take this opportunity to improve and expand. The strategy of being an “and” console and not a “or” console was, like the rest of the Wii, a means of playing it safe when there was no guarantee the Wii would do any better than the Gamecube. No one is suggesting the next Nintendo console be a 360 or PS3, but there is no reason it can’t strive for more than the Wii or be a viable competitor in appealing to casual, core and hardcore markets.

Around the Network

Yea, I agree. But they haven't lost anything they weren't already losing. What they have gained, on the other hand, is an ocean of profit even bigger than the core marked.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Not only did you not address my comment, your points here are still wrong.

50+ million sales isn't doing well with the mass market (assuming you made a typo)? Bull. It's had a slowdown (like even the PS2 had at points). That doesn't mean they aren't doing well with the market. It does mean the mass market aren't sheep, or that wouldn't be happening. Nintendo is working on ways to please them, not making the mass market conform to what they make.

iPod took a few years to take off, so it doesn't have the same curve. iPhone was boosted in attention by the iPod. That would be comparable to the next Wii. Blu-ray is still niche. It's not mass market. It's had growth, but its best titles would be great on the Dreamcast, not compared to DVD sales. Blu-ray can't be compared when it's not mass market.

Innovation isn't relevant to this at all, and you're lying about the defintion (hint, it doesn't mean new franchises). It seems you're just trying to throw Wii hate talking points rather than actually discuss things.

The Wii is never going to be for me anyway because I came to gaming from reading a lot of scifi and fantasy and there is simply no story telling in the huge majority of Nintendo games ( except Zelda).

And that is what attract a lot of the core gamers, gaming in a way is supposed to be the next step to reading and watching movies.

It immerses you more in the story and allows you to take your own decision that impact the outcome. That is a key feature for me that is simply lacking in the huge majority of Nintendo games.

You play Madden because you like football and fantasy football isn't enough for you and you want to be inside the game, drafting your team, controlling your players action on the field.

You play Deadspace or Resident Evil 5 to be immersed in a story, same with Fallout 3 or the soon to come Dragon Age Origins or FFXIII.

Heck why do you think a franchise like GTA is so succesfull ?

That is the way the HD console are going, that is the future for me...

Onimusha12 said:
This isn’t 2007 anymore, simply pointing to the Wii’s phenomenal sales is no longer enough to justify the console. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console that can move third party software. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console with serious third party support. Record breaking sales don’t give you a console with the games you want.

Most of you who are content with the Wii’s current status are either casual gamers or most likely people who prefer the 360/PS3 as their console of choice and see the Wii as only having to be a novelty supplemental console in order to make you happy. Or perhaps you’re one of those of the defeatist attitude of accepting having to own three consoles every generation to compensate for the fact that no one console has done it right.

For every impressive release for the Wii there are six more on every other platform that can be pointed out; and you can boast about Monster Hunter 3 when it sells as well as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, you can boast about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles when it sells as much as the Final Fantasy Main series, you can boast about Dragon Quest X when it sells as much as VIII did on the PS2, you can boast about Tales of Graces when it sells as much as Tales of Vesperia or any of its PS2 predecessors. Until any of that happens, each of these exclusives will just serve as lessons to third party developers of what console not to give support. The Wii has for the most part lost all face with the conventional gaming industry. Third Party games are dying in sales on the Wii. Support for the Wii has stagnated and shows little sign of improving no matter how many niche titles that will be lucky to break 500k you bring up. Right now the PSP is getting more worthwhile games than the Wii and is its greatest threat in stealing Japanese third party support.

If you’re content with the way things are for the Wii, that’s one thing, but to argue that things don’t need to get any better or can’t be improved is just asinine.

Nintendo is going to need to expand its home console’s demographic appeal and third party viability next generation or else they could very well lose what foothold they have in casual gaming as well. Preach the glory of Blue Ocean and disruption all you want, but its only a matter of time before the competition finds that balance between blue and red waters and the value of Nintendo’s disruption as long since been negated by the growing appeal of HD gaming as the mainstay of conventional gaming this generation.

The point here is not doom & gloom. The point here is not to bash the Wii or blame Nintendo. The point is to acknowledge that Nintendo needs to take this opportunity to improve and expand. The strategy of being an “and” console and not a “or” console was, like the rest of the Wii, a means of playing it safe when there was no guarantee the Wii would do any better than the Gamecube. No one is suggesting the next Nintendo console be a 360 or PS3, but there is no reason it can’t strive for more than the Wii or be a viable competitor in appealing to casual, core and hardcore markets.

Thing is Nintendo's competitors can chase Nintendo into any Blue ocean they want, but then Nintendo can leave and move on to the next, disruptions and new markets are not limited, and unlike its competitors, Nintendo is software driven, so its competitors will never have the success at entering these markets that Nintendo will, Sony and MS can make motion controllers, but they wont have the software to drive the sales needed to make them a success, and every time they chase Nintendo, they alienate their core base further, and lose a lot of money.  In fact chasing Nintendo will likely end up bleeding them dry.  Third parties can either learn from Nintendo, or they won't be around for very long, Sony and MS, aren't going to be able to engage Nintendo in a disruption war and if they try they'll only end up bankrupt, because they think its about flashier more powerful hardware, when its not, and if the third parties latch on too tightly to MS and Sony they'll be pulled under with them.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Onimusha12 said:

Thing is Nintendo's competitors can chase Nintendo into any Blue ocean they want, but then Nintendo can leave and move on to the next, disruptions and new markets are not limited, and unlike its competitors, Nintendo is software driven, so its competitors will never have the success at entering these markets that Nintendo will, Sony and MS can make motion controllers, but they wont have the software to drive the sales needed to make them a success, and every time they chase Nintendo, they alienate their core base further, and lose a lot of money.  In fact chasing Nintendo will likely end up bleeding them dry.  Third parties can either learn from Nintendo, or they won't be around for very long, Sony and MS, aren't going to be able to engage Nintendo in a disruption war and if they try they'll only end up bankrupt, because they think its about flashier more powerful hardware, when its not, and if the third parties latch on too tightly to MS and Sony they'll be pulled under with them.

I don't think it's that easy for Nintendo because by always moving forward they will be faced with new competitors like Apple that might end up being a lot more difficult to beat that the current ones...

You don't really want to attract customers to a new market to throw them into someone else arms...

Why did Red Steel 2 get delayed?

PSN - hanafuda