By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has lost the core market this generation

LordTheNightKnight said:

"tis nintendo own problem.
they had a choice.
profits or hardware close 360 and being able to get the multiplatforms.
they went for profits."

And then the matter of who went on to copy who.

Exactly, at the end of this generation (when wii HD comes out) I'll even write a thread proving how Sony and MS copied N.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I posted this in another thread, but it seems applicable here. The industry has been a back and forth between 2 major forces. The gaming side of the force, and the corporate side of the force. The hardcore is a recent phenomenon, and they don't decide anything important about the industry. They are the most fickle consumer, ready to ditch Nintendo for being "too kiddy" or even hop back and forth between Guitar Hero and Rock Band depending on their favorite guitar controller or their favorite band. Hardcore fans have no loyalty. Casual fans are the ones you can count on to get a system to sell over 100 million. Game Boy, PS1, PS2, DS, all casual-friendly. All hardcore systems fail. DC, GC, PS3.

Console Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Magnavox

(lawsuits and dirty money, stealing the magic from Ralph Baer)

Episode 2: Atari: The Clone Wars

(years of clones and fierce competition, arcades and Atari bring gaming to the masses)

Episode 3: Revenge of the 2600

(Bushnell is ousted from the Atari Republic, corporate interests take over Atari, the first "movie-games" are made, the market crashes, darkness for many years)

Episode 4: NES: The New Hope

(Nintendo creates the D-Pad, the Game Boy, platforming, quality control, and the modern console era)

Episode 5: The Hardcore Strikes Back

(non-gaming companies take over the industry, CDs bring FMVs and cutscenes to several consoles for new cinematic "movie-games," FF, MGS, birth of modern so-called "hardcore", freeze GameCube sales in carbonite)

Episode 6: Return of the Wii

(games for everybody, more diversity in genres and even control methods, "the revolution," we all get to party with Ewoks, Ralph Bear, and the ghost of Gunpei Yokoi, the empire is crushed to a distant 3rd place and gets outsold by an exercise peripheral, and the empire is so crushed that they actually start making motion controlled party games)

Pixel Art can be fun.

I largely agree with the OP, except where he calls Sony/MS more "adept" at maintaining the hardcore market.

They've collectively lost ~6 billion dollars this generation. It's really easy to seem "Adept" when you can just brush off gigantic losses of that magnitude because you're so freaking huge.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

they had a choice.
they went for profits."

Exactly, at the end of this generation (when wii HD comes out) I'll even write a thread proving how Sony and MS copied N.

Although Nintendo will do it when they can sell it at a profit at day one, not consume too much power, or require loads of fans and/or heat sinks.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

they had a choice.
they went for profits."

Although Nintendo will do it when they can sell it at a profit at day one, not consume too much power, or require loads of fans and/or heat sinks.

Well that's the advantage of using something that was already made mainstream years before.

Around the Network

@theprof00

So Sony and Microsoft were the first companies to graphically upgrade their consoles?

Gnizmo said:
Yeah Nintendo clearly isn't giving the consumer what they want. They just have managed to sell almost as much as the two other systems combined. The quality of the core games are just terrible too. Super Smash Bros Brawl was just god awful. Metroid Prime Trilogy was easily the worst thing to ever happen to the series, and lets not even start on the critical failure that was Super MArio Galaxy. I can't believe they even made a sequel to that game.

Until Nintendo starts getting studios to put big series like Dragon Quest, or Monster Hunter on their console the who effect is a lost cause. You would never see a development studio like Team Ninja touch the console because Nintendo is just not willing to work with them. Hopefully they just drop out of the console market next generation.

Quite lovely, I must say.

Kenology said:
Gnizmo said:
Yeah Nintendo clearly isn't giving the consumer what they want. They just have managed to sell almost as much as the two other systems combined. The quality of the core games are just terrible too. Super Smash Bros Brawl was just god awful. Metroid Prime Trilogy was easily the worst thing to ever happen to the series, and lets not even start on the critical failure that was Super MArio Galaxy. I can't believe they even made a sequel to that game.

Until Nintendo starts getting studios to put big series like Dragon Quest, or Monster Hunter on their console the who effect is a lost cause. You would never see a development studio like Team Ninja touch the console because Nintendo is just not willing to work with them. Hopefully they just drop out of the console market next generation.

Quite lovely, I must say.

I second this.

Pixel Art can be fun.

VTnev27 said:
@theprof00

So Sony and Microsoft were the first companies to graphically upgrade their consoles?

So N was the first to use downgraded hardware?

or

N was the first one to use motion in a game?

Why is this all about being "first" now? Because you agree with me?

Actually, nvm, I know the answer. It's the same reason you said "graphically upgrade" instead of "HD".

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Hate to break it to you Onimusha, but Nintendo lost the core market 15 years ago. The diehard fans are still with them and will be as long as the first party franchises are. And those guys are probably used to getting shafted by third parties by now.

Yup.  You just described me to the 'T'.