By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

grapeape said:
jefforange89 said:
Haha wow, that Cry Engine 3 demo really makes the HD twins look pathetic. <_<

Guess it really is in the eye of the beholder...that demo didnt make me think "wow consoles suck" it made me think about how close a console experience can be to a high end gaming rig without all the hassle...and about how great its going to look on a 60 inch screen.  I really dont think the vast majority is going to care the clouds are volumetric enough or that extra foliage doesnt fall off when you shoot a tree.  Its close enough that for most the graphics are more than acceptable on consoles when your running and gunning, but there are enough differences that PC gaming enthusiasts can pick apart the minutia and feel "superior" as they slowly walk through their FPS so they dont miss the details.

It may not says " wow consoles suck" but I can clearly see the diifference especially if someone is used to playing PC games. A good example is Oblivion. I bought the PC version and I can easily tell it was a 360 port.  I quickly notice  it's short drawing distance and low textures.  It's not much "eye of the beholder" when  objects suddenly appears out of thin air.

Then most of the all I can tell Oblivion had the console "Hassle Free"  and "accessible to everyone" gameplay which IMO was a step back for Morrowind. That's the one of the main problems I have with consoles , not only do they try to make the system "hassle free" but the gameplay as well.  Thus a more dumb down feel.

I'm  thankful for the users mod while maybe a little more hassle yet it was worth it for both graphics and gameplay.

Around the Network
joeorc said:

j

that I think, Is a very big point.

Example:

many people Say "Blu-Ray" is not needed, and with upconversion DVD player's the quality of DVD IS GOOD ENOUGH!

that very thing is why the concept of PC vs Game console's is a moot point now due to that very same problem.

the digital transition just went into effect recently, and most consumer's are looking into getting a HDtv in the US. the problem is if you do not have a 60" HDtv the visual quality of HDtv set's are real good on the smaller HD tv's. most consumer's view that their DVD's look great. Blu-Ray is a upgrade to DVD that's pretty much it, Blu-Ray player's still play DVD's and upconvert's. So the problem with some is vs' the price of Blu-Ray to DVD is the cost worth the upgrade?

to some it is to other's it's not.

that does not mean that Blu-Ray is a failed product or that it's going away, the problem with that way of thinking is that Blu-Ray still play's DVD's. because of that very same function it is going to stay in the market.

this is the same problem with PC gaming vs' GAME CONSOLE's

Movies and games are not the same. For example there is no need for antiliasing when it comes to movies so a upscale DVD doesn't have to worry about jagged edges even though it does produce a more muddy look and not the sharp image of the Blu-ray .  You don't need UI in movie that you find in games.  You often have a lot more text in games than you do in movies.  Information are often put around the edges which makes the corners  more important in games than they are in movies.   Etc.

Smidlee said:
joeorc said:

j

Example:

many people Say "Blu-Ray" is not needed, and with upconversion DVD player's the quality of DVD IS GOOD ENOUGH!

that very thing is why the concept of PC vs Game console's is a moot point now due to that very same problem.

the digital transition just went into effect recently, and most consumer's are looking into getting a HDtv in the US. the problem is if you do not have a 60" HDtv the visual quality of HDtv set's are real good on the smaller HD tv's. most consumer's view that their DVD's look great. Blu-Ray is a upgrade to DVD that's pretty much it, Blu-Ray player's still play DVD's and upconvert's. So the problem with some is vs' the price of Blu-Ray to DVD is the cost worth the upgrade?

that does not mean that Blu-Ray is a failed product or that it's going away, the problem with that way of thinking is that Blu-Ray still play's DVD's. because of that very same function it is going to stay in the market.

Movies and games are not the same. For example there is no need for antiliasing when it comes to movies so a upscale DVD doesn't have to worry about jagged edges even though it does produce a more muddy look and not the sharp image of the Blu-ray .  You don't need UI in movie that you find in games.  You often have a lot more text in games than you do in movies.  Information are often put around the edges which makes the corners  more important in games than they are in movies.   Etc.

that's not what this is pointing out. 

video game's

and movies have quite a bit in common than you might think ,but that was not what i was mainly pointing out.

the very fact that like Blu-Ray you will have consumer's that see the advantage's worth the upgrade to higher resolution content as worth the extra $ over STICKING WITH JUST DVD being played on a HDtv, or UP CONVERTED DVD player. 

other's do not see the extra $ as worth it and will still stick with DVD

THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR PC's now that Game consoles have such high resolution's of game's that are on the system , many Gamer's are seeing less and less of a reason to upgrade that PC. and the trend is most likely going to continue.

Not to say that PC as a viable game platform is not going away or anything, Its just that unlike prev. generation's these game console's for the first time have been able to handle game's in resolution that mainly only PC game's were designed to handle mainly because , even though the PC's are not as "static" as the Game console hardware wise the game console even being more static hardware wise is still very much a powerful system to handle graphic's that was once in the real OF "only being able to be done on the PC with that kind of graphic's quality"

that trend is quite forefront due to 3rd party developer's and publisher's now putting many game's that would have been PC only , now being made to be on the game console's now because the hardware in the game console in the first time this generation of game systems that are able to handle the game.

that is why you see many game's this generation 

PC,PS3,XBOX360

FROM 3RD PARTY PUBLISHER'S

HIGH END PC game's are In my opinion in the market minority vs' the game console's market game's because of the cost does not in view of some to be worth the extra $. the same is with Blu-Ray over DVD, SOME DO NOT THINK THE ADDED EXTRA EXPENSE IS WORTH IT.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Smidlee said:
grapeape said:
jefforange89 said:

Guess it really is in the eye of the beholder...that demo didnt make me think "wow consoles suck" it made me think about how close a console experience can be to a high end gaming rig without all the hassle...and about how great its going to look on a 60 inch screen.  I really dont think the vast majority is going to care the clouds are volumetric enough or that extra foliage doesnt fall off when you shoot a tree.  Its close enough that for most the graphics are more than acceptable on consoles when your running and gunning, but there are enough differences that PC gaming enthusiasts can pick apart the minutia and feel "superior" as they slowly walk through their FPS so they dont miss the details.

It may not says " wow consoles suck" but I can clearly see the diifference especially if someone is used to playing PC games. A good example is Oblivion. I bought the PC version and I can easily tell it was a 360 port.  I quickly notice  it's short drawing distance and low textures.  It's not much "eye of the beholder" when  objects suddenly appears out of thin air.

Then most of the all I can tell Oblivion had the console "Hassle Free"  and "accessible to everyone" gameplay which IMO was a step back for Morrowind. That's the one of the main problems I have with consoles , not only do they try to make the system "hassle free" but the gameplay as well.  Thus a more dumb down feel.

I'm  thankful for the users mod while maybe a little more hassle yet it was worth it for both graphics and gameplay.

This man speaks the truth. I don't care much about the graphics, but gameplay has went downhill since this generation's consoles have come out. It's kinda sad there are so few games worth playing.....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

joeorc said:
Smidlee said:
joeorc said:

j

Example:

video game's

and movies have quite a bit in common than you might think ,but that was not what i was mainly pointing out.

the very fact that like Blu-Ray you will have consumer's that see the advantage's worth the upgrade to higher resolution content as worth the extra $ over STICKING WITH JUST DVD being played on a HDtv, or UP CONVERTED DVD player. 

THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR PC's now that Game consoles have such high resolution's of game's that are on the system , many Gamer's are seeing less and less of a reason to upgrade that PC. and the trend is most likely going to continue.

Not to say that PC as a viable game platform is not going away or anything, Its just that unlike prev. generation's these game console's for the first time have been able to handle game's in resolution that mainly only PC game's were designed to handle mainly because , even though the PC's are not as "static" as the Game console hardware wise the game console even being more static hardware wise is still very much a powerful system to handle graphic's that was once in the real OF "only being able to be done on the PC with that kind of graphic's quality"

that trend is quite forefront due to 3rd party developer's and publisher's now putting many game's that would have been PC only , now being made to be on the game console's now because the hardware in the game console in the first time this generation of game systems that are able to handle the game.

PC,PS3,XBOX360

HIGH END PC game's are In my opinion in the market minority vs' the game console's market game's because of the cost does not in view of some to be worth the extra $. the same is with Blu-Ray over DVD, SOME DO NOT THINK THE ADDED EXTRA EXPENSE IS WORTH IT.

The PC vs Consoles situation is different from the Blu-Ray vs DVD, because of 2 reasons:

1- PC games are far cheaper than console games. Not only is the average PC game much cheaper than the average Console game, but it also drops price much faster. You are guaranteed to cover some of your PC's cost, if not all of it.

2- PCs are a necessity, not a luxury. People need PCs for work, which gives PC an incredible advantage over consoles.

Around the Network
shio said:
joeorc said:
Smidlee said:
joeorc said:

j

Example:

video game's

PC,PS3,XBOX360

The PC vs Consoles situation is different from the Blu-Ray vs DVD, because of 2 reasons:

1- PC games are far cheaper than console games. Not only is the average PC game much cheaper than the average Console game, but it also drops price much faster. You are guaranteed to cover some of your PC's cost, if not all of it.

2- PCs are a necessity, not a luxury. People need PCs for work, which gives PC an incredible advantage over consoles.

no it's not:

if you are going to use the PC as mainly a game machine its entertainment than it is right along with pretty much movies and game console's.

the problem with thinking PC's are a necessity , is that does not relate to game's unless you are a developer!, Its only a necessity if you need the PC for a majority of work, even then if you do your main use would be work and if that's the case you should not have enough time to play game's four hour's on end if the PC is that important for work!.

that's the big problem with the IDEA of " PC game's are cheaper than Console game's " that is pretty much a myth, simple problem that even Some of the PC game's are right near the cost of Game console game's if not the exact same cost. Now it's not if you use steam, but the disc based game's are near the same. and while the price does drop on PC game's faster you have to wonder why is that?

simple:

no longer is the PC market for game's the #1 market and most likely never will be ever again, due to mainly there is more money to be made in the game console market than the PC market for Game's, because playing Game's on the PC is mainly a function that the majority do not use as their main Game machine. Due to that very reason you stated.

PC's are mainly used for other thing's more important than game's:

and if there is gaming majority of those gamer's use it for game's like Zuma.

the PC game's hardcore market has shrunk and most likely never regain the big market share it once had.

mainly due to cost.

and that is why Game console's are where their at right now , many hardcore gamer's use these game machine's over their PC for their game's machine, just because of cost and mainly that is what the whole concept of a game console is for.

you may than point out that well the game console's are getting to be more PC like , than what will happen.

It will not matter Game console's are "MEDIA CENTRIC" PC's while PC's are not , yes you can indeed mainly use a PC as "Media centric" but that's the point is it not. what are you going to use your PC for!

if its entertainment, That's fine and dandy but in the market the PC is mainly not directed toward ENTERTAINMENT it's mainly for Work

game console's are targeted toward ENTERTAINMENT.

that's why Media center PC's do not have the larger market share. the majority of consumer's do not even know the fact that PC's are able to do the thing's that many people in the tech industry know PC's can do pretty much as any other function. many consumer's just use the PC as for EMAIL, WEB BROWSING the very basic function's due to many people not knowing how.

it's pretty much non awareness of what PC's are capable of is mainly the problem with many of the consumer's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Overview.html yo.

I can't believe you ppl are trying to compare Crysis to GT5... GT5 has barely ANY rendering to do besides the cars.. Have you actually looked at how bland the graphics are other than the cars? ITS HORRIBLE. Everything about Crysis is gorgeous.

Shoi is here basically raping all of you in this topic, yet you console fanbois are to blind to realize it, mainly because you are jealous you don't have a proper built pc. My 8800GTX still outplays my PS3, and I can notice it everyday I turn on a game.

I'll stick to L4D 1080p on my 50" plasma loaded from my PC anyday over the shitty ass port that was brought to 360.

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

I probably have more ps3 games than you :/ 

Smidlee said:
grapeape said:
jefforange89 said:

I'd agree with this sentiment, but I don't think its just restricted to PC games vs console games although that does play a huge factor. Compare Mass Effect to KoToR. Both were on consoles but Mass Effect is far shorter and "hassle free" as you put it than KoToR.

Generally, developers have been simplifying games to appeal to more people, but they kinda need to to garner more sales.

PC GPUs are already two generations beyond this gen consosole GPUs.   The 360 GPU specs were of the Radeon R600 generation, while the newest ATI GPU is of the Radeon  R800 generation. Performance wise it looks like the R800 is roughly 4 times the power of the R600.  The same can be said for the PS3 GPU when NVDIA release its next GPU in a few months.  So hardware wise there should be no question that PC GPU are much more advanced.