By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune: “Japanese Game Industry is finished.” (Malstrom)

@phoenix, probably not. It probably also does not include other forms of revenue.

That's the major flaw in these revenue comparison methods, WoW alone can seriously jack up the PC markets sales charts.

Around the Network

The article says pc gaming is dead. FAIL!

Malstrom is a failure. He had a good idea about Blue Ocean strategy, probably from a book he was reading or a class he was taking, and just noticed that the Wii was showing similar signs. He knows almost nothing about gamers and the gaming industry, and insults both of them when he offers his solution to the "fall of gaming" by saying "MAKE CLASSICS"
what a F**** tool.

dobby985 said:
The article says pc gaming is dead. FAIL!

Even if he shouldn't use the word dying or dead in PC, he has a point most PC companies have moved onto consoles.

@theprof00

Knows nothing about game industry?, I could say the same for you. Keeping things fresh is the only way to make industry survive, if you keep repeating the same formula eventually people will start getting bored and companies would continue to lose profits since only thing would be improving is graphics. The only reason the industry even saw growth this generation because nintendo launched something new if they didn't I doubt you would have got a record breaking year of 2008.

I usually don't care about this guy because all he is doing is applying business common sense in his articles.

Even if he shouldn't use the word dying or dead in PC, he has a point most PC companies have moved onto consoles.

No, most companies have simply went multiplatform.

There are very few third party exclusives these days simply because development costs for PC,360 and PS3 titles requires releasing on as much formats as possible.

Around the Network

I don't claim to know about the industry, I just know common sense.

The thing about your post is that it's not true. The same formula isn't getting reused over and over. Things are constantly changing in the gaming world. Look at MS Live!, look at Bluray and the pseye. Look at headtracking and the 3d movement, Natal and plenty of other stuff. Sure, most those things are due to the success of the wii, but they are not being made because of the wii. These things are natural evolutions of the medium and have just been spurred into quicker development due to the wii succeeding.
Look at video game history, it's filled with peripherals and new ideas and strategies. To say that console gaming is stagnant is absolutely wrong.

In addition, you used the word "eventually". Let's not break into semantics here, but I don't think you yourself have any idea of when "eventually" is going to happen. But that's ok because neither does Malstrom. The concept is universally understood, but it's one of those things that really works much better in hindsight.

theprof00 said:
I don't claim to know about the industry, I just know common sense.

The thing about your post is that it's not true. The same formula isn't getting reused over and over. Things are constantly changing in the gaming world. Look at MS Live!, look at Bluray and the pseye. Look at headtracking and the 3d movement, Natal and plenty of other stuff. Sure, most those things are due to the success of the wii, but they are not being made because of the wii. These things are natural evolutions of the medium and have just been spurred into quicker development due to the wii succeeding.
Look at video game history, it's filled with peripherals and new ideas and strategies. To say that console gaming is stagnant is absolutely wrong.

In addition, you used the word "eventually". Let's not break into semantics here, but I don't think you yourself have any idea of when "eventually" is going to happen. But that's ok because neither does Malstrom. The concept is universally understood, but it's one of those things that really works much better in hindsight.

Before Sony and Microsoft actually looked at how sucessful Nintendo was doing they wouldn't have focused on Natal or Eyepet to the degree that they have now. So it is actually because of the wii that focus for these things are coming out.

Natural evolution of things doesn't always work, book industry is still declining from a decade ago even with Kindle and E-books, you know why because writing books isn't that profitabl and the same is happening to games right now. We don't know if Natal or PSeye are going to take off but we do know that some companies are in the red and have been in the red for sometime for using the same formula.

The only company that is a complete outlier is activision, but that may because of WoW, GH and Call of Duty.

PS: I don't see games dying ever personally, I just think game companies are going to disappear soon and the current form of the industry to die someday.

*sigh*
While I agree that the current road the gaming industry is on is quite pathetic, I don't agree with your PC gaming analogy. Just looking at the MODDING scene makes me realize that the true 'gaming scene' will never die. Thanks to plenty of quality games, engines, mods, total conversions and free to plays.

Again I do agree that the current trend of high production costs, quick turnovers, no caputre of talent, stupid stripped out features sold back to customer as 'DLC', poor copy/paste game design, lack of creativity in major production studios or lack of funding for creative ideas are all very bad trends. These are just a couple of the issues I have with the gaming industry as we watch it slowly drown in mediocrity.

However, thanks to the MODDING and INDIE scenes, I do see true creativity and innovation with gameplay and game concepts. Luckily for a very low price of free or a couple bucks. This is why I always support the little guys since thats where the real fun is brewing :)
Have fun and enjoy games, don't just buy the same old shit, try something new!
(good place to start - moddb.com)

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

burning_phoneix said:

No, most companies have simply went multiplatform.

There are very few third party exclusives these days simply because development costs for PC,360 and PS3 titles requires releasing on as much formats as possible.

Sorry I should have said that I meant multiplatform, also PC gaming isn't dying when you have great games like Witcher and Witcher 2.

What a terrible article. What is he babbling about?