By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN editor: No worthwhile Wii games have released since 2007.

While LordTheNightKnight is taking this much too far (as always), he is right about the "opinion disucssion". You can't just slap "IMO" or "I think" in every sentence and say "It's my opinion so it can't be wrong".

It's funny because I'm currently taking a philosophy class called "Logic" and we discuss how arguments can be verified and falsified.

"I like trees better than grass because trees are red and grass is yellow which is ugly IMO" is easily falsified. Yes, it's an opinion, but it's still wrong.

In short: an opinion based on a false premise is an invalid opinion.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
While LordTheNightKnight is taking this much too far (as always), he is right about the "opinion disucssion". You can't just slap "IMO" or "I think" in every sentence and say "It's my opinion so it can't be wrong".

It's funny because I'm currently taking a philosophy class called "Logic" and we discuss how arguments can be verified and falsified.

"I like trees better than grass because trees are red and grass is yellow which is ugly IMO" is easily falsified. Yes, it's an opinion, but it's still wrong.

I just seem to be going so far because their replies are all over the place, when I'm trying to focus on basically this very point.

That and using weasel words like "to the consumer", which is pretending to speak for other people, not just himself.

Those are the two points that shows it's not an opinion piece.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Chrizum said:

As if the thread wasn't bad enough you just had to bring "logic" into it...

Because he says nobody cares... Due to lack of media attention, it also seems that nobody cares.

For some reason, the market leader getting a pricecut has had less attention than the other 2 consoles pricecuts.

In comparison to the 360/PS3 cuts... Nobody seems to care.

"What he says is fine, you are trying to claim he said "The Wii is incredibly outdated tech, I think based on this...""

Because he rearranged the words, the meaning is different? The meaning is the same. He didn't claim he thought the tech was outdated. He wrote "based on its incredibly outdated tech".

If you think that is acceptable, you've fallen for weasel words that political pundits love to use (and I mean on any side, issue, or party).

This is not an opinion. It's yellow journalism calling itself opinion.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

"Due to lack of media attention, it also seems that nobody cares."

Okay, you just aren't reading the blogs. This got plenty of attention, just mainly when there were leaks, rather than now. They certainly did care, so his comment is still based on a false premise.

I agree on some level. No game released in the last 2 years can compete with SMG in quality. That includes games on any other system.

Now onto the article. Its basically another "ex Nintendo fanmboy" renoucning his fan-dom. Weve heard it plenty of times before. Hes been with Nintendo since the begining, he thought the Wii had so much potential, Nintend is now leaving the hardcore, etc. Its not the first article like this and it sure as hell wont be the last.

Going by the numbers (metacritic that is), the Wii doesnt even come close to the 'quality' of the PS360. Street Fighter 4, Batman, Fallout 3, GTA4, etc. are all 3rd party games. The 'quality' games that people think of when they think of the PS360 are not usually 1st party games. So instead of writing a rant about the 3rd parties quality drought on Wii, somehow its Nintendos fault.

"So instead of writing a rant about the 3rd parties quality drought on Wii, somehow its Nintendos fault."

For many third parties, it's because they don't want to try with the controller. Making an HD game is more costly, but it's more familiar, thus easier.

Using the Wiimote correctly takes more talent, apparently, and that's hard.

EDIT: That's not excusing them. It's pointing out they're taking the "safe" route by making bigger and better games. A lot of smaller game developers are working on the Wii because of the lower costs. This guy is just a jerk for blaming the Wii.

LordTheNightKnight said:

"So instead of writing a rant about the 3rd parties quality drought on Wii, somehow its Nintendos fault."

For many third parties, it's because they don't want to try with the controller. Making an HD game is more costly, but it's more familiar, thus easier.

Using the Wiimote correctly takes more talent, apparently, and that's hard.

EDIT: That's not excusing them. It's pointing out they're taking the "safe" route by making bigger and better games. A lot of smaller game developers are working on the Wii because of the lower costs. This guy is just a jerk for blaming the Wii.

This is why i'm not disappointed in Nintendo but the industry itself who clearly lacks creativity (oh, the irony) or guts.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Holy crap, Lord, you single-handedly carried this thread through the night and on into the next afternoon. Good job fighting the good fight, and clarifying exactly why this guy deserves to get called out on this.

It's damned irresponsible of him to abuse his position to merely feed into the Wii-hater circle-jerk while just helping to reinforce old stereotypes and arguments that have been proven false time and again. With the job that he has, coming out and saying this sort of thing in this way should be grounds for dismissal. This should basically be a written letter of resignation, at least from his ability to ever write anything for the actual site that's Nintendo-related ever again.

It's unprofessional, and yet this guy is not only going to get away with it, but be celebrated for it, just like that Hatfield guy got praised by the IGN community for glossing over Nintendo at E3 in that one podcast.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.