By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN editor: No worthwhile Wii games have released since 2007.

LordTheNightKnight said:
He has the same smug expression in that pic as Stuttering Craig of Screwattack, and that guy is known to be such a jerk that Handsome Tom left the site.

I loved Handsome Tom! When he left I just stoped watching them...

Former something....

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
hanafuda said:
'So much promise. So little of it actually delivered.'.

This.

It's pretty poor that arguably the most creative, unique, and original Wii experience is Wii Fit.

Very few third parties have the balls to try and give us anything new, despite Nintendo claiming that the platform is a haven for experimentation due to the so called low dev costs. Then Nintendo contradict themselves by churning out endless sequels to established franchises.

The platform has become a contradiction as the casuals aren't interested in creativity, and the 'gamer' audience simply isn't there.

The gamer audience is there. Don't delude yourself. Most polls show that 360 and PS3 owners also own a Wii.

And Nintendo would be stupid to not turn out sequels to franchises. The difference from the other companies being, that most of those sequels take direct advantage of the Wii's uniqueness.

Firstly, do you think the Wii has lived up to the promise?

Secondly, 53 million Wiis sold.  Sales of The Conduit to date - 260,000 copies.  If you want to prove a point, don't talk polls, talk sales figures.  360 and PS3 owners also own a Wii?  Maybe some of them do, but are they buying games for it?

I mention Nintendo churning out sequels to established IPs because, regardless of the so called unique properties of the Wii, they still just churn out the same old stuff.  And don't try telling me that Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart Wii couldn't have been done on the gamecube.  Hell, they could be done on the PS2 or XBOX.  Direct advantage of the Wii's uniqueness my ass.  Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus is are so unique they had to make a new peripheral for it.  The balance board has absoultely nothing to do with the Wii and it's so-called uniqueness.  It is 100% down to the balance board.

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
Shanobi said:
hanafuda said:
'So much promise. So little of it actually delivered.'.

This.

It's pretty poor that arguably the most creative, unique, and original Wii experience is Wii Fit.

Very few third parties have the balls to try and give us anything new, despite Nintendo claiming that the platform is a haven for experimentation due to the so called low dev costs. Then Nintendo contradict themselves by churning out endless sequels to established franchises.

The platform has become a contradiction as the casuals aren't interested in creativity, and the 'gamer' audience simply isn't there.

The gamer audience is there. Don't delude yourself. Most polls show that 360 and PS3 owners also own a Wii.

And Nintendo would be stupid to not turn out sequels to franchises. The difference from the other companies being, that most of those sequels take direct advantage of the Wii's uniqueness.

Firstly, do you think the Wii has lived up to the promise?

Secondly, 53 million Wiis sold.  Sales of The Conduit to date - 260,000 copies.  If you want to prove a point, don't talk polls, talk sales figures.  360 and PS3 owners also own a Wii?  Maybe some of them do, but are they buying games for it?

I mention Nintendo churning out sequels to established IPs because, regardless of the so called unique properties of the Wii, they still just churn out the same old stuff.  And don't try telling me that Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart Wii couldn't have been done on the gamecube.  Hell, they could be done on the PS2 or XBOX.  Direct advantage of the Wii's uniqueness my ass.  Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus is are so unique they had to make a new peripheral for it.  The balance board has absoultely nothing to do with the Wii and it's so-called uniqueness.  It is 100% down to the balance board.

Then what makes a console unique? I mean, we could make the claim that any 3D game could have been done for any 3D console, unless we fell into the trap of talking about how a system's relative power makes it better or worse

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

"Secondly, 53 million Wiis sold. Sales of The Conduit to date - 260,000 copies"

Uersbase does not determine success of a game. That isn't talking sales. That's talking bullshit logic.

The Conduit doesn't have the mass appeal of the top tier shooter series. It would have sold about that on the HD systems, but would have flopped due to higher costs. Gears and Halo aren't hits because of the Xbox audience. They are hits because they have mass appeal.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Well, that's not true. The last Wii game worth buying was in April 2008. The next one will be Galaxy 2 or Other M, whichever comes out first.

It's like you're using a hyperbole and then expecting people to take it at face value. I don't think that's how it works.

I agree with hsrob's take that you can't play all or even most of the great games this gen with only one console. From my perspective though, there's so many obvious ways to use the wiimote that simply haven't materialized yet. Obviously Nintendo can't possibly be expected fill out their own library single-handedly, but it's being blatantly neglected by third parties who in 2009, are in still in safe-bet mode -- refusing to make a variety of games centered around intelligent use of the wiimote. Even worse, A disproportinate chunk of 3rd party development lies with the ps3/x360/pc and handhelds, with the Wii seeing minimal crossover for multiplatform console games outside of music/sports games.

Where it goes from here, I have no idea. I have my fingers crossed for a *proper* flying game and WM+ action adventure though.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Well, that's not true. The last Wii game worth buying was in April 2008. The next one will be Galaxy 2 or Other M, whichever comes out first.

Wrong, the last game was WSR and the next is NSMB.

Do people not pay attention to the sales?

If you did not play those games you really wouldn't miss much, WSR isn't much up on the original and I doubt NSMB Wii will be much up on the DS game.  This makes them not truly worthwhile.  By comparison a 3D third person Metroid would be.

One of these days, you're going to log on completely and totally high+wasted. On that day, you're going to accidently express a positive opinion about something, even if it's just about how tasty a really nice T-bone tastes. And on that day, I will know that I have truly seen it all...

noname2200 said:
KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Wrong, the last game was WSR and the next is NSMB.

Do people not pay attention to the sales?

If you did not play those games you really wouldn't miss much, WSR isn't much up on the original and I doubt NSMB Wii will be much up on the DS game.  This makes them not truly worthwhile.  By comparison a 3D third person Metroid would be.

One of these days, you're going to log on completely and totally high+wasted. On that day, you're going to accidently express a positive opinion about something, even if it's just about how tasty a really nice T-bone tastes. And on that day, I will know that I have truly seen it all...

He praised RE5 just earlier today. Though i find his notion of what makes a game worthwhile speculous, though that problem comes from a difference in content values, which i'm totally fine with.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

So before reach the 20th page. What we've learned of this?

alfredofroylan said:
So before reach the 20th page. What we've learned of this?

A group of people who talk about opinions cant handle someones opinion.

Mr Khan said:

He praised RE5 just earlier today. Though i find his notion of what makes a game worthwhile speculous, though that problem comes from a difference in content values, which i'm totally fine with.

Holy -!

It finally happened...

@KylieDog:

If you don't like the game, no skin off my back. I was just teasing you because you tend to be overwhelmingly negative about anything and everything, including the sun's rising every day.