By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 DAMAGE on ALL CARS confirmed by IGN

Damn! a lot of people brought up Forza 3 in this thread. Such a shame.

OT: good news for the GT fans and the March release has a great reason already.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
dcIKeeL said:
@CGI

Isn't delaying a game to see what the competition has and then adding accordingly a cheap thing to do though?

When did I say they delayed the game for that purpose? Best of the best means they want the best game they can deliver, and people complained of the early footage of the damage and such. If they want to devevlop the best game they can, wouldn't releasing it unpolished be contradicting that, despite the competition's game?

You misunderstood my point, you're forgiven.

Have you read his previous post on this thread? He didn't get the idea from you. He got it from himself.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Please stop bringing Forza into Gran turismo threads, after that demo there is no reason to even mention it or compare it to Gran turismo, presumebly the one of the best racers this gen (forza as a complete game), but do not compare it to Gran turismo.

mM
nordlead said:
Larad said:
This isn't very good news..."scratches and stuff" doesn't constitute much in the way of realism. Only race cars seem to have deformation damage. I couldn't care less about mechanical damage (though I guess it is a cool feature) but having car slam into eachother and only see scratches is underwhelming... Seriously underwhelming.

mechanical damage is what really matters. If you can grind your car around the outside of a turn and continue your race unaffected other than visuals the damage is pointless. Also, I wouldn't expect lifelike damage, as then the game is totally unforgiving, but rather a reduced damage. So if you make contact with another car or a wall you aren't instantly out of the race, but rather you are penalized with poor steering until you can get to the pit and get it fixed.

Exactly... mechanical damage is the important part, especially in multiplayer matches.

Visual damage is just eye candy, which GT5 and Forza 3 already have enough...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well damage was just unveiled now, and it's raw so it's clearly new. It's also really odd to withhold from even hinting at a release date in the biggest gaming event of the year. Why the fear of commitment? From my understanding this game was also started on before Forza 3 was, yet there is nothing in gran turismo 5 to warrant all the extra time, before and after forza's development time.

I've always loved Gran turismo. It's the cream of the crop in terms of simulators but I just feel like PD is being cheap, a little dissappointing, they are very well respected.

I'm gonna pick up both of them just because they both seem amazingly good. I can't say any game is better than the other right now though. Maybe when ive played both full games on my systems.

Around the Network

PD is being cheap? What the hell does that mean?

I haven't seen or heard anything from GT5 graphics wise, physics wise, damage wise or mode wise that justifies more than 1 extra year of development time.

Nascar accounts for a good chunk of time, but the customization in forza both mechanical wise, exterior wise and setting wise more than accounts for that in my opinion.

It doesn't matter though as i'll be getting both. I also don't understand why everyone is getting all anal over mentioning forza. In the forza threads people troll bad, this thread is about the intensity of lime jello in terms of trolling.

I only mentioned forza because someone said something about gran turismo has damage now, so it's the definitive racing simulator this gen. I felt the need to point put that forza has extensive damage as well.

In my opinion this is the difinitive era of racing simulators as gran turismo has been challenged and upped the ante in quality for both racers. I don't think any one game will be clearly better than the other when the dust settles though.

@deviation

I mean like bush league etc. I understand trying to make the best game you could. However, PD deciding to delay the game because their damage wasn't up to snuff wouldn't have happened if forza didn't exist imo.

It's more like they said: "this games damage is better, looks like we'll have to push it back to make our damage better".

I agree, I would never use this logic or anything near it in a courtroom.

The thing is I just don't see Gran Turismo cbeing delayed this much and adjusting damage and stuff without the existence of forza.

dcIKeeL said:
I agree, I would never use this logic or anything near it in a courtroom.

The thing is I just don't see Gran Turismo cbeing delayed this much and adjusting damage and stuff without the existence of forza.

Oh I never thought of that.  hmmmm.  Well, at least the GT5 developers know what they are going against tonight.