By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Fighting genre needs a revival!!!

I've been a real big fan of the fighting genre of games ever since i was a young kid. With games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat the fighting genre was it for me. But in recent years most people lean toward the RPG and Shooter genre way more than Fighting and fighter tend to sell less and seem less significant than an RPG or Shooter. Why do you think this is? Is it cause the fighting genre lost its fire or does it seem to suck more now. I for sure think its still great judging by Soul Calibur 4 and SF4. Give me your take on this plz

Around the Network

I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. It seems to me fighting games sell better than RPGs on the whole.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

What do you mean? SFIV, BB, KoF etc all released this year. Fightning games revival is already happening.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I think for once, there is too many fighters. You really need only one that is great (atleast one is enough for me, but I still have 3...). The problem is that pretty much all fighters have very similar system of combat. So despite that fact, you have Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm... and those are only one of those 3D! So get a grip mate.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

aragod said:
I think for once, there is too many fighters. You really need only one that is great (atleast one is enough for me, but I still have 3...). The problem is that pretty much all fighters have very similar system of combat. So despite that fact, you have Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm... and those are only one of those 3D! So get a grip mate.

Its not that there aren't enough fighting games, its just that i feel that the genre isnt as important as it once was before. That is my opinion. There is too much more talk about the shooters, rpgs and others around here and in many places on the net. Thats why im concerned

Around the Network

i will more beat"em ups ^^

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm for Ps3 is very good. I wait of Tekken 6 =)

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

SC4 lost some major features that were in SC2......it killed alot of the replay for me personally =/

(I still miss the team battle mode)

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Let's check; the fighting genre.

7th gen Fighting genre vs 6th gen fighting genre. (I'm splitting it up as that will make it easier for future conclusions, not to prove that the Nintendo consoles (for instance) are doomed in fighting).

Machines - 6th gen - 7th gen - difference

Nintendo consoles: 11.25M - 13.75

Sony consoles: 55.39M - 9M

Microsoft consoles: 5.9M - 10.9M

Handhelds: 0.14M - 15M

Total: 72.68M - 48.65M

For consoles only: 72.54M - 33.65M

Last gen, there were sold ~ 1.7B games on consoles. This gen we're at 750M so far. In other words: There have been sold 46% as many fighting games on consoles as last gen, and 44% as much total software. Compared to other genres, the fighting genre is selling dead on the same as last gen.

As for Fighting vs RPG, it's at

Machines - Fighting - RPG - difference

Wii - 13.75 - 5.06M

Ps3 - 9M - 5M

X360 - 10.9M - 19.89M

Total consoles: 33.5M vs 30M.

Handhelds:

DS - 4.5M - 66.38M

PsP - 10.5M - 18.05M

Total all machines: 48.5M vs 85M.

The RPG genre is definitely larger than the fighting genre all around. On consoles alone, they're equal.

@Pineapple

Actulally fighting games is bigger than RPG. NDS make all differnece.

Fighting games still have basically the same old-fashioned game-mechanic of the 80's Arcades. It's a primitive genre, and there's not much you can do in fighting games xcept for smash buttons. I find them boring. It's a genre that will slowly keep fading and eventually vanish.