By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 passes 5 million: VGchartz press release - Spread the word!

Hey all,

here is the press release, post it to the forums of your choice.

Playstation 3 sales pass 5 million

Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Sony’s Playstation 3 have passed the 5 million mark on a worldwide basis as of October 13th. (*)

As VGchartz.com data shows, (**)the console, first released on November 11th 2006 in the US, six days later in Japan and on march 23rd 2007 in Europe, sold on a weekly average of 105,208 units, mainly competing with Microsoft’s Xbox 360 which currently stands at 11.83 million units sold.

Live to date (LTD) sales in the 3 biggest markets are 2.13 million in the Americas, 1.21 million in Japan and 1.70 million in other regions (including Europe, Australia and a few niche markets) making for a total of 5.05 million units sold.

After having a hard time outselling its competitors in the first half of 2007 the Playstation 3´s sales (while still far below Nintendo Wii´s weekly sales) began to raise in the last weeks mainly due to a recent price drop and the launch of the 40GB Playstation 3 in Europe. The price drops impact was even strong enough to catapult PS3´s “Other/Europe” sales to a total of 77,000 units the weeks ending 13th October 2007, helping it to outsell the Wii (which sold 75,000 units during the same week) and the Xbox 360 (trailing behind at 42,000 units)  in this region.

Although it is unlikely for the PS3 in Europe to keep its momentum at the same level (sales will probably settle below the 70,000 mark) the price drop is a big step for Sony to hit mass market appeal.

Feel free to visit our weekly Europe/Others sales page for more information.

Notes:

(*)Vgchartz.com tracks consoles sold to consumers and not to retailers and other outlets. This explains why numbers on the front page of VGchartz.com are always a bit lower than the numbers given by the manufacturers themselves: To Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo every console that made it to retailers is “sold”. In reality these consoles may be lying in retailer warehouses and outlets for weeks until they are sold to consumers.

(**)Vgchartz.com projections are based on sampled retailer data from all over the world. Vgchartz.com collects data from a carefully selected group of retailers and determines projected sales figures for entire regions with knowledge of market size, retailer market shares, retailer bias and so forth - the same methods used by larger and more established sales tracking firms. To learn more about VGchartz´ methodology of tracking sales data, contact us (admin@vgchartz.com) or visit our website to find out more.

Around the Network

6th line, you put Live to Date, but it should be Life to Date.

otherwise excellent....i will see if i can find somewhere to post it.

(will there be translated versions like last time)

No, there was no time to translate it this time around :(

say 'rise' not 'raise'

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I'll translate it to a latin-american spanish, but I'll post it first on a latin-american forum and translate it over there, so it'll take a while.

Around the Network

Okay, I finished the translation to a latin-american spanish. Let it be known that I did at least one good thing for VG Chartz. I know it's somewhat rubbish, but if there are any other native spanish speakers, help me polish it somewhat. If you like it, VGChartz can count on me to translate whatever they want to the spanish language (as it looks like, it seems I'm the only remaining native spanish speaker here) at the cost of some godly moderator powers for free.

Las ventas del Playstation 3 han sobrepasado los 5 millones.

Vgchartz.com, las más comprensivas tablas de videojuegos en el mundo ha anunciado que las ventas de vida entera del Playstation 3 de Sony han pasado la marca de los 5 millones en una base mundial hasta Octubre 13. (*)

Como así muestra la información de VGchartz.com, (**) la consola, originalmente lanzada el 11 de Noviembre del 2006 en los Estados Unidos, seis días después en Japón y en Marzo 23 del 2007 en Europa, ha estado vendiendo en un promedio semanal de 105.208 unidades, prioritariamente compitiendo como el Xbox 360 de Microsoft el cual actualmente se mantiene en 11.83 millones de unidades vendidas.

Las ventas desde vivo hasta la fecha (LTD por sus siglas en inglés) en los 3 mercados más grandes son de 2.12 millones en las Américas, 1.21 millones en Japón y 1.70 millones en otras regiones (incluyendo Europa, Australia y unos pocos mercados niche) haciendo un total de 5.05 millones de unidades vendidas.

Después de tener dificultades sobrevendiendo a sus competidores por la primera mitad del 2007 las ventas del Playstation 3 (aunque aún muy por debajo de las ventas semanales del Nintendo Wii) comenzaron a subir en las últimas semanas prioritariamente gracias a una baja de precio reciente y al lanzamiento del Playstation 3 de 40 GB en Europa. El impacto de la baja de precio hasta fue lo suficientemente fuerte para catapultar las ventas de PS3 en "Europa/Otros" a un total de 77.000 unidades las semanas terminando Octubre 13 del 2007, ayudándolo a sobrevender al Wii (el cual vendió 75.000 unidades durante la misma semana) y el Xbox 360 (estando atras en 42.000 unidades) en esta región.

Aunque es improbable que el PS3 en Europa continúe con su momentum en el mismo nivel (las ventas probablemente se estabilizarán por debajo de la marca de 70.000) la baja de precio es un gran paso por parte de Sony para llegar a la popularidad en el mercado en masa.

Notas:

(*)Vgchartz.com registra las consolas vendidas a los consumidores y no a los vendedores u otras tiendas. Esto explica por qué los números en la paga frontal de VGchartz.com siempre son un poco más bajos que los números dados por los manufacturadores mismos: A Sony, Microsoft y Nintendo cada consola que llegó a un vendedor está "vendida". En realidad estas consolas pueden estar en reposo en las casas de carga de los vendedores y tiendas por semanas hasta que son vendidas a los consumidores.

(**)Las proyecciones de Vgchartz.com están basadas en la información simplificada de los vendedores sobre todo el mundo. Vgchartz.com colecciona la información de grupos de vendedores seleccionados cuidadosamente y determina las figuras de ventas proyectadas para las regiones enteras con conocimiento del tamaño del mercado, porciones del mercado de vendedores, bias de vendedor y demás - los mismos métodos usados por firmas registrantes más grandes y más establecidas. Para saber más sobre la metodología de VGchartz de registros de información de ventas, contáctanos (admin@vgchartz.com) o visita nuestro sitio web para encontrar más información.