By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal Ricochet lags and has jittering.

welshbloke said:
The OP.

Taking positive articles with regards to new prototype technology about one persons first interaction with said technology then rebundling it in such a way as to make the whole article sound bad is simply fanboyism and deliberate flame bait.

I recommend you actually spend more time looking at the technical differences between the technologies then ask yourself with any prejudice put to one side that if this same technology was on offer on your system you would not be excited.

You can choose to believe that Microsoft buys all this positive press for Natal or you could choose to believe they are truely excited about it with good reason.

Exactly.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

Eh... stopped reading the thread on page 5.

But just posting to say... If it's too early to bash, then it's too early to hype! If Microsoft wants to hype this thing up, then it's fair to knock it down as soon as they do.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:

But just posting to say... If it's too early to bash, then it's too early to hype! If Microsoft wants to hype this thing up, then it's fair to knock it down as soon as they do.

It's easy to hype something based on potential. It ISN'T easy to knock something that hasn't gone gold.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Erik Aston said:

Why?  This stinks of fanboyism.

The only reason to knock a technology down and try and stop any "hype" for it would be due to fear from fanboys of a competing system.   If your a true gamer you would wish it well and move along, even if it isn't your thing.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

kitler53 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
That was one of them but I think there was a demo on a US live morning talk show where they wore normal clothes.

you mean the one where Matt Lauer demoed natal and it failed to reconize him for about 15seconds?  i'm sorry but you set yourself up for that one.

Who? Never heard of him but yes if that's the one.

Don't see how I set myself up for anything when I was responding to this...

dbot said:
nightsurge said:
^That and it worked on all those late night shows with the crowds in the background and crazy stage lighting.

The demos where they wore the red jumpsuits? 

It recognised him in normal clothes in a studio with crazy stage lightning.
Backs up what I said earlier. People pick up on one thing and run with itignoring all the other times it works flawlessly and ignoring that the instances they bring up the games actually worked and didn't detract from their enjoyment or amazment at the tech.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
DM235 said:
rover said:

That video's actually interesting.  Fantastically lame, but interesting.

RGB camera is limited by room brightness, depth camera works in pitch black. I don't know about you, but I am not playing in a fully-lit room most of the time.

RGB camera to "track" a 2D image != depth camera which tracks 3D regardless of lighting.

If Sony's had this for so long, what the F?  Where is it?  Why hasn't it been capitalized upon?
If this has been around since the PS2, then how does that not equal a fail for Sony?

It's easy to throw stones at the Natal, it's easy to say "we've already done/got that", but man if Sony HAS this stuff, what's taking them?

RGB camera uses the visible spectrum of light.  The Natal "depth" camera uses infrared light.  Both cameras would use light intensity and contrast to determine where an object is in "3D" space.

Whereas the RGB camera can have trouble dealing with variable room lighting, an infrared camera would have trouble with variable infrared lighting (candles, fireplaces, and potentinally you if you work up a sweat).

The E3 videos show some lag with Natal, but it is still a beta product.  We'll just have to wait and see what Microsoft can do before it launches. 

Actually RGB cameras rely mainly on edge detection for depth, it has nothing to do with light intensity other than the fact that the better the light, the easier it is to detect edges.  This can be very difficult to do and can only provide relational depth information.  Such as the person got bigger, so they must have moved forward some, now use an algorithm to come up with some distance that was just covered.  While each pixel in Natal's system has an associated depth to go with it, and all objects(such as other players) can be exactly related in 3D space to each other.  No guess work involved at all.

That explains why Sony went with the glowing ball on their motion controller.  You could accurately measure the distance by measuring the size of the ball.  And the fact that it glows would help overcome low light conditions.

As for Natal, to measure that depth does it now have to send out an IR beam and then measure the intensity of the IR light reflected back?  Or if it uses a passive method then is works just like an RGB camera but with infrared light.

You've made me curious as to how exactly this technology works.  Time to hit Google...

^Natal uses infrared pulses which it then measures the reflection off of objects to determine distance away.

There is no way technology like this will be flawless if it really is going to come out as soon as MS says it is, which is late 2010. I gaurantee either 1 of 2 things are going to happen.. Either Natal will come out as promised at the end of next year and come with flaws and gimped features (there's no way they can pull off that scanning business), OR the game will have rediculous delays pushing it to 2011 or 2012..

MS should really just wait until their next system to release this, otherwise it could be a disaster for them. I'm completely baffled that they would fracture their market and go through all the trouble of re-releasing the 360 with Natlal when they can just wait it out until the tehcnology is better and start fresh with the Next Box.

So it's like pseye right now? The games on it are horrible. >_

Vashyo said:
So it's like pseye right now? The games on it are horrible. >_<

I just can't see anyone making a sharp movement detecting software right now, so I've had rather low expectations from natal and thought it to be the same as pseye, but since kojima and some others are so excited about it hopefully it really is that great.

No its not the PSeye 2.0......    Not trying to sound like a douche or anything here but you should read up on it a little before making those type comments.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!